F@H graphical part failure - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-2006, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I just downloaded F@H after reformatting my hd. When i run it in the back ground it works, everything is fine... But when i try to open it to see how far i am, my comp freezes,the screen goes black, returns to desktop and says Vpu recover...

Anyone know? My first thought was, it starts to pull power (cpu, and gpu) and thats why it keeps recovering.

Im getting a new Antec 550Watt Truecontrol II so i will see if this is the problem, but if you can suggest some reasons as to why you think its doing this, would be great

Thanks In Advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Fold for team 37726

Liked: 531
You may want to check your video drivers. I believe the molecules are rendered using an OpenGL routine. Power could also be an issue, but you'll find out soon enough once your new PSU arrives.

Help us help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, the For Sale / Wanted Section Rules, the Online Deals Guidelines, and the Appraisal Forum Rules. Also, list your system specs in your User CP.
If you PM me - Please use a descriptive subject and be patient. I get A LOT of PMs, and there's only so much time in the day to reply to them all.
Helpful tips - Be sure to visit the Site News forum frequently and read announcements and stickies. If you don't keep up with these, you WILL miss out on important info.
Useful links - Overclock.net Professionalism Initiative, Folding FAQ, and Downloads...

25 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-2006, 08:53 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 471
Also the graphical version will have problems at high overclock, that why I use the console version.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-12-2009, 05:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 156
i have a similar problem. i play games crysis and cod5 for hours but have never seen any vpu recover errors before (no vpu recovers even after running ATI Tool GPU stress for 10 mins). My problem is kinda complicated. Running F@H GPU client in the background is OK.I observed GPU usage, it ran at its maximum without a hitch. The black screen and then vpu recover comes when i attempt to view the graphical window...

do you guys think it is a driver error? i have cat 9.1 installed.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-12-2009, 05:16 PM

Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
i have a similar problem. i play games crysis and cod5 for hours but have never seen any vpu recover errors before (no vpu recovers even after running ATI Tool GPU stress for 10 mins). My problem is kinda complicated. Running F@H GPU client in the background is OK.I observed GPU usage, it ran at its maximum without a hitch. The black screen and then vpu recover comes when i attempt to view the graphical window...

do you guys think it is a driver error? i have cat 9.1 installed.
Sounds like a driver issue to me.

10 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #6 of 7 Old 02-12-2009, 05:30 PM
☼☼☼☼☼

Liked: 501
99% sure it is the drivers.
Also, are you using FaHMon to watch the progress?

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #7 of 7 Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 PM
733mhz

Liked: 12
I'm running into this problem too. I have the latest drivers for my video card, but even if I leave F@H in the background, every now and then VPU recover trips. F@H then refuses to do any more work until I exit and restart it. I even tried throttling it back so it couldn't use 100% of the GPU, but it still happened. My video card has the factory cooler on it, but also has a 120mm fan blowing across it towards the vents at the back of the case. GPU load temps are 60-70*C. I have a very negligible OC on the video card, only 10MHz and no OC for the memory. I've OCd it well beyond that and it was still stable. I'm at a loss for the cause of this.

Edit: I forgot, I had the GPU fan set to auto. I manually locked it at a higher speed, so we'll see if that helps.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page