Trend in HWBot Rankings - Combining Team Members - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Send a message via MSN to borandi Send a message via Skype™ to borandi
Hey all, just wanted to bring something on HWBot to your attention.

You may have noticed recently that Dino, Fester and James have changed how they are seen at the bot. Instead of having three separate accounts, they now are all in one account together, called Team.AU This is similar to what BenchBros, OClab.ru and others do.

This allows them three to share any hardware - CPU and GPU, anything. It gets submitted all under one name, so if one gets a golden chip they can share it between themselves for CPU benchmarks, or a golden GPU likewise. It also means there is no confusion in bench sessions, and with three people all working together, there is potential for them to perhaps reach higher in the leagues than they could do individually.

The downside is for the team. With only one submission per HW config counting, it reduces the number of global and hw points they contribute to the team compared to the three scores they may have all had individually.

Obviously doing this means you have to give up your individual account.

Thoughts? It makes more sense to me if you are in the ProOC, or if you all live near each other. The power of three could be more than the power of one. But the team suffers in that regard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 AM
...it's a catamaran

Liked: 266

The benefit of doing this is that you can reach a higher rank in the individual leagues, like the Overclockers league, or the Pro OC league...but like you said, the team scores suffer from this.  

I think it's a great idea if you live close to another team member and rank is all you are concerned about, but not if it's overall team ranking you're looking for. 

On a team as large and widespread as ours though, I'm not even sure how many benchers live close enough to each other to make this a viable strategy for individual rank. 

post #3 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Just to be clear, Fester, James and Dino live no-where near each other, but they all bench for Team.AU. This way they can send chips to each other if one has a penchant for AMD GPUs, the other for NVIDIA. Given that they are seeded by Gigabyte too, it just means when those three are involved there are no issues of who owns what as they all bench under the same name.

It may become a factor if an overclocker gets some form of sponsorship/support. If a company can support 2-3 people in one go under one heading and get good scores from them without anyone accusing them of hardware sharing on the bot. Less hassle that way.

At the top level especially in the ProOC it becomes vendor vs. vendor, rather than individual vs. individual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 90
This sounds like the Constructicons merging to form Devastator.

Essentially, they are forming a mini-team within a larger team, and the tradeoff is between potentially higher "individual" points from "combining" resources and lower team contribution points.

Hmm, that means in principle, we could form an OCN Enthusiast Elite and take first place in the Enthusiast League?

post #5 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Haha if you do a comparison of our points combined, the best globals and best hw from each of us, I think we'd perhaps get 4th veb. Dead Things has too many 60pt globals
post #6 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Barely SS Stable

Liked: 89
Just recruit Dead Things, and problem solved. I've met him before, seems a good sort, benches for a team that has two guys (semi)actively benching. I started on that team but got sick of zero interest for serious overclocking or competitions (although the site is pretty solid for review information on new hardware).

But on topic, I'm sort of surprised that HWBOT allows such a thing. It kinda skews the rankings when 3 people can submit scores for a single spot on the rankings. I mean what is to stop 20 or 30 people doing the same, or recruiting a server guy, a GPU guy, a CPU guy under one name and pretty much making anyone doing it themselves obsolete. Although I can't say I really have a reason to object since they are trading off TPP for the League rankings, but it seems to move from individual rankings to group rankings. Perhaps HWBOT needs to think about a Pro-Team league.

post #7 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Extreme Cooler

Liked: 738
From what i've seen and what borandi says, it's used mainly in the Pro league. There, only globals and world record points count. Those people tend to all bench the same hardware, since they are only looking for globals. I don't see it as being an issue in that situation. Now if the average bencher in OC or enthusiast league were doing it, I'd think it really wouldn't benefit the team or the users all that much.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Programmer

Liked: 22
Send a message via MSN to GENiEBEN Send a message via Yahoo to GENiEBEN Send a message via Skype™ to GENiEBEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post

or recruiting a server guy, a GPU guy, a CPU guy under one name and pretty much making anyone doing it themselves obsolete.

DJ+reggie+me, let's troll...

Ṯ̡̳̞̼̝̼̮̙̼̓̐ͣͤͫͨͤ̈Ḙ̸̰͎̭̉ͭ̃̉̈́̿͗̒̄͘Ḁ̰̮͙͎͆̔̄́͂̔́̀M̰̝̥͎͉OCN
post #9 of 9 Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Engineering the World

Liked: 79
I think HWBOT should take action to prevent this! The Individuality of benching is what makes it attractive!

Sys #2,: A10-7700K @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+( FM2+) ,4gb GSkill Ripjaws @2133Mhz, Corsair 300R, Samsung P2770 HD-1080p, R7 250, Crucial C300 64GB Boot + Samsung F3 500Gb, NOCTUA NH-D14, Antec 620C Neo

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page