post #151 of 181 Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 AM
PC Gaming Master Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by _02;15617295 
I'm sure there is an equation on a Valve whiteboard that looks something like this:

$earned (in purchases) - $lost (in bans) > $spent (checking fraud)

He didn't accept it from an unknown source. It was purchased from a legit source and gifted to a known user. If anyone is at fault here, it is eBay or Steam. Well besides the jerk that sold it.

You're definitely right. If an eBay seller has 100% good feedback, with thousands of eBay transactions made, how is that an unknown party? If Valve is going to say you can't buy from eBay, then they need to PREVENT and take down those eBay listings.

I hate to go a little off-topic and rant, but it's just to make my point at how annoying things like this are:

It's like some vehicle laws. I recently got a ticket for having tints that were "too dark." I took it to court. My argument was that I took my car to a Florida certified shop and told them I wanted the darkest legal tints. If the state demands that tints must have a specific transparency, they shouldn't certify a shop that offers darker tints to the public, just like Valve shouldn't let eBay sellers sell gift copies. I even still had the receipt that noted "darkest legal" (for warranty purposes) and the ticket was waived with permanent immunity for any future tint tickets on my car. I don't know that part will work, but I argued that I missed a final exam the day of the ticket, and missed work to attend court just because of a ticket over such a stupid thing. The judge told me I should not technically not be given any more tickets for my tints since I had proof that it was done at a certified shop. Lets see how long that lasts. I'm definitely holding onto that shop receipt. thumb.gif

All that said, I'm confident there is a law in place that forbids Valve from suspending your account if this happens again, so long as you legally purchased the product and can prove that it was from a reliable seller. In my case I've purchased a good 100 games on Steam. If Valve decides to block my access to those games I'm entitled to because I accepted a gift from someone I paid on eBay for "their time in gifting the game to me" (totally nothing wrong with that) there is definitely some illegality in business there.

It shouldn't be your fault that you were scammed by a seller. Microsoft at least acknowledges that you may be a victim of piracy if you try activating an invalid copy of Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield go_quote.gif

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
OCN quotes:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoat333 go_quote.gif

LG's best Android phone is like having the shiniest turd.
(So true)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 181 Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 AM
I live in xterm

Liked: 345
Send a message via AIM to Black Magix Send a message via Yahoo to Black Magix Send a message via Skype™ to Black Magix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros;15617096 
That's retarded. How the hell are you supposed to know that a gift is fraudulent? I'm supposed to DENY a GIFTED video game? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I don't even think there's a way TO deny the game lol.
post #153 of 181 Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Battlefield 1 Ready

Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans81;15613052 
I want to start this with, a thank you for everyone talking me down off the ledge while I waited lol. Also to a few members who offered to let me use their accounts while I was without....this community is amazing.

Now on to what we all have been waiting for:

I told you that they would unban your account. cool.gif

The "NoMoreUpgradesUntilXmasPC" Build Log

GPU's: HD5850 > HD5970 > 2x HD6970 > 2x GTX580 > 3x GTX580 >
> 2x GTX680 > 2x HD7970 > R9 290X > 2x R9 290 > GTX970 > 2x R9 290X >
> GTX980Ti > 2x GTX980Ti > 2x GTX1080 > 2x GTX 1080 Ti

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 181 Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 AM
sleepy cat mode

Liked: 817
Good news for OP. smile.gif

post #155 of 181 Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to gerickjohn Send a message via Skype™ to gerickjohn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans81;15601792 
I really am not big on lying.

Well, It was used without permission, and hacking refers to "Gaining access without authorization". Technically, it aint lying. wink.gif
post #156 of 181 Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
You're a daisy if you do.

Liked: 152
Send a message via MSN to lemans81 Send a message via Yahoo to lemans81 Send a message via Skype™ to lemans81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros;15617456 
You're definitely right. If an eBay seller has 100% good feedback, with thousands of eBay transactions made, how is that an unknown party? If Valve is going to say you can't buy from eBay, then they need to PREVENT and take down those eBay listings.

I hate to go a little off-topic and rant, but it's just to make my point at how annoying things like this are:

It's like some vehicle laws. I recently got a ticket for having tints that were "too dark." I took it to court. My argument was that I took my car to a Florida certified shop and told them I wanted the darkest legal tints. If the state demands that tints must have a specific transparency, they shouldn't certify a shop that offers darker tints to the public, just like Valve shouldn't let eBay sellers sell gift copies. I even still had the receipt that noted "darkest legal" (for warranty purposes) and the ticket was waived with permanent immunity for any future tint tickets on my car. I don't know that part will work, but I argued that I missed a final exam the day of the ticket, and missed work to attend court just because of a ticket over such a stupid thing. The judge told me I should not technically not be given any more tickets for my tints since I had proof that it was done at a certified shop. Lets see how long that lasts. I'm definitely holding onto that shop receipt. thumb.gif

All that said, I'm confident there is a law in place that forbids Valve from suspending your account if this happens again, so long as you legally purchased the product and can prove that it was from a reliable seller. In my case I've purchased a good 100 games on Steam. If Valve decides to block my access to those games I'm entitled to because I accepted a gift from someone I paid on eBay for "their time in gifting the game to me" (totally nothing wrong with that) there is definitely some illegality in business there.

It shouldn't be your fault that you were scammed by a seller. Microsoft at least acknowledges that you may be a victim of piracy if you try activating an invalid copy of Windows.

I wish steam was a bit more transparent on its policies.

If you can judge a wise man
By the color of his skin
Then mister you're a better man than I
-Aerosmith Livin' on the Edge
post #157 of 181 Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 AM
PC Gaming Master Race

Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magix;15617510 
I don't even think there's a way TO deny the game lol.

I think there is, because you have to click on the link to accept the gift don't you? You would just never accept it, which is retarded in concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield go_quote.gif

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
OCN quotes:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoat333 go_quote.gif

LG's best Android phone is like having the shiniest turd.
(So true)
Quote:

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif
post #158 of 181 Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 AM
_02
Tick tock, life is gone

Liked: 195
It isn't even realistic for someone you don't know to gift you something.

The whole policy smacks of derp.

Glad that you didn't get too inconvenienced by it though!
post #159 of 181 Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman;15615239 
Did anyone notice the "7raknp0wned" that was listed, taking credit for the attack?:

No, I did not because that's not even close to what it said.

On-topic though, there was no "stolen CD Keys" or "key generator" like some people are claiming. It's simply a stolen credit card buying STEAM games and then selling them on eBay.

I don't know what's so hard to understand that if someone is purchased with a stolen credit card, then the CC does a charge back, whatever was purchased is no longer valid.

It's probably an automatic system that gets notified that purchase xxx is no longer valid and then invalidates any keys that were purchased. So when your STEAM account has one of those invalid keys on it, you get banned!

Unfortunately, there is no other way to do this. It wouldn't be worth the time, effort or resources to try and determine whether they received it as a gift or any other method because more often that not it'll be someone trying to rip them off rather than an unfortunate incident like the OP had.
post #160 of 181 Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 AM
_02
Tick tock, life is gone

Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peroxide;15618175 
Unfortunately, there is no other way to do this. It wouldn't be worth the time, effort or resources to try and determine whether they received it as a gift or any other method because more often that not it'll be someone trying to rip them off rather than an unfortunate incident like the OP had.

It would certainly be worth it for the customer.

If any appreciable amount of them are for sale on Ebay, there are plenty of people that could get their account banned without trying to scam Steam. Personally, if a company can't make it worth their time to take care of the customer experience, they don't deserve the business.

Granted, they took care of it, but a shoot first, ask questions later policy when dealing with hundreds of dollars and potentially thousands of hours of hours of customer dedication is poor service in my book. They should remove the game and send a warning to the user before banning their account and all games associated with it.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page