post #1 of 63 Old 04-02-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Send a message via Skype™ to Roxborough
Hey everyone,

I've been researching a lot on different MMORPG's, there doesn't seem to be anything that fits what I'd actually invest some time in, I've currently been totally forced out of playing MMORPG's due to lack of time. However, I finish university in 2 weeks time and will have enough time to invest in a game.

Now... I frequently use mmorpg.com, know pretty much all there is to know about upcoming MMORPG's, but there's just something about them that I don't find appealing, I'll list them:

Excessive use of ranged/explosive weapons/skills/spells etc... Was watching a Guild Wars 2 Video today, they've added rockets? And artillery strikes? Are they kidding? Also watching a Diablo 3 video, of the Demon Hunter... using grenades!

I don't know about you guys, but for me... this doesn't seem all that authentic and really ruins the immersion of an MMORPG.

Lack of unique armour/equipment/weapons... not many MMORPG's seem to have this completely nailed down. I was sad when I found out Skyrim had merged the gear even more since Oblivion, and that was bad enough! I understand the issues with clipping etc... but... surely it can't be that hard to implement some way of customising gear so you don't look like everyone else at that level?

Admittedly I used to play WoW, did do on and off for 5 years, it created somewhat of a huge void that other games couldn't fill. To be honest, they still haven't and neither has WoW. So I'm just wondering, are there any MMORPG's out there that feature less... annoying skills with more armour/weapon variants?

For example...

Bards, I know they play music, but it doesn't mean they have to integrate it into their skills, I mean... playing the guitar to hurt someone is just... completely ridiculous.

Ranged classes, I know, they need different shots, but.. explosive ones, use of grenades, rockets... guns... in a fantasy setting with armour, elves, swords etc... I've never been into any of that and doubt I ever will.

SWTOR with their annoying companion system, I could never play a game where I'm forced to have a NPC companion follow me around, with the same name as everyone else's... Ruins immersion!

World of Warcraft Vanilla used to have ALL of that immersion back in the day, guns didn't annoy me, as they fit the setting, with the Dwarf's and Gnomes being good with engineering etc...

But now... Guild Wars 2 with flame throwing Dog Things? It's just not cool anymore... What happened to swords, maces, axes, bows, fireballs, daggers, crossbows, shields, dual wielding, two-handed swords? And them only... why do they have to keep adding these ridiculous weapons? Is it to appease the masses or what?

Can anyone recommend me an RPG that fits any of this criteria? Otherwise, my faith in this genre is dead. Never playing an MMORPG ever again.

Last one I played was Rift, that was a gigantic flop.

Oh, and a few more things I like to see in games... WEAPONS NOT APPEARING FROM THIN AIR!

All your gear that is equipped, should be view-able , so say you have a sword, and a bow... the sword is on your side, or if a two hander, on your back, and your bow is also on your back...

I'm not talking to the extremes of a potion belt or anything like that... just quite simple things that add immersion! I don't want to be running round pulling magical weapons from my rear end.

Anyway, can anyone think of a game that comes close to this? :/ Greatly saddens me not to find one.

Age of Conan has come quite close, but it's buggy as hell and has hardly any armour variants.

So yeah, forgive the rant... is there anything out there like this?

Thanks!

Thadeous: Courtney, will you make funny faces to entertain me?

[Courtney makes a variety of weird faces which causes Thadeous to clap with glee, until he gives a smile in the shape of a triangle]

Thadeous: No! Never triangle-face! I *hate* triangle face! It scares me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 3
If you would have asked this before September of last year, I would suggest LOTRO.. but now it sucks ever since Isengard was released.

To my knowledge, I don't think anything is out that fits your criteria except the ones you said you didn't want.. Then again, I'm not an avid MMO gamer.
post #3 of 63 Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethosTR View Post

If you would have asked this before September of last year, I would suggest LOTRO.. but now it sucks ever since Isengard was released.
To my knowledge, I don't think anything is out that fits your criteria except the ones you said you didn't want.. Then again, I'm not an avid MMO gamer.

Aye, LOTRO has gone awful. Feels really dated now too! Exactly like WoW...

I guess I'm stuck waiting for a game that will never exist then haha!

[Courtney makes a variety of weird faces which causes Thadeous to clap with glee, until he gives a smile in the shape of a triangle]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 PM
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxborough View Post

Aye, LOTRO has gone awful. Feels really dated now too! Exactly like WoW...
I guess I'm stuck waiting for a game that will never exist then haha!

Heh, it's both dated and oversimplified... Oh how I wish we were back to Moria or SOA days.

Anyways, MMO's seem to be going towards appealing to the average or lowest common denominator.. BIG FLASHY WEAPONS FOR THE KIDDIES!

Edit: I've come to a realization... I seem to have been using that expression (lowest common denominator) a LOT nowadays... Sad.
post #5 of 63 Old 04-02-2012, 04:09 PM

Liked: 8
WOW scarred me for life......wth.gif

LVL 60-70 was so much fun!
post #6 of 63 Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 1
I just saw a commercial for star trek mmo. Did not look to exciting though.

post #7 of 63 Old 04-02-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest99 View Post

WOW scarred me for life......wth.gif
LVL 60-70 was so much fun!

Yeah, it was, first big update, so many players... so little time... ahh, the good old days lol!

post #8 of 63 Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 58
Eve Online. Internet spaceships > retarted magic, armor, swords.

Expect spending a couple months just to have a sense of the game though. smile.gif

If you want to try I can give you an invite for a free 21 day trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222 go_quote.gif
Yeah I remember this kid in my school was talking about the new alienwares, and he was like 'there computers are the fastest in the world dude!' I wanted to take him down and teabag in his mouth.
post #9 of 63 Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM

Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxborough View Post

Yeah, it was, first big update, so many players... so little time... ahh, the good old days lol!

Karazhan....then Black Temple.......Introduction to Arena was sweet too......I miss it a alot.redface.gif

But am I glad I quit! fewwwww

post #10 of 63 Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM

Play real life mmo ... you can't get more realistic than that. Get outside , meet some girls you know real life biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page