[Official] VR Gaming - Thread - Page 128 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1271 of 2191 Old 07-16-2016, 11:26 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 359
My childhood dreams of being a Jedi are nearly coming true!!! Oh man, i cant wait for this!!! bruce.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1272 of 2191 Old 07-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravinmild View Post

HTC/Valve have to do something quick if they want to slow PSVR from eating up too much marketshare. HTC has to come back with something noteworthy if they hope to keep the momentum going for their own product. A upgraded res sure would go a long ways in helping them retain marketshare. Oculus has the exlusives, PSVR has the numbers (so they say), Vive needs a feature none of the others have that they can use to help them stand out and a higher res screen could be it.

It would not even need to be 4k even 2k with a wider fov is feasable with high end components and the current games with simple graphics. In a year 2k with mid range cards and updated games would still keep the vive 2.0 from needing to be replaced. The PS4 is being upgraded way sooner then expected, we PC users are already use to yearly refreshes so its not that tall an order to think HTC has an upgraded vive in the works, its just a screen swap to be honest and not a full redo of the headset.
It already has that feature, room-scale. Dont get me wrong everyone would like a res & FOV upgrade, but i dont see it happening this year. And the Vive and Rift already have higher resolution than PSVR. PC gaming is definitely not a cheap hobby. Especially the guys that like to stay on the bleeding edge, yearly upgrades are already the norm for some.

The PS4 is only being upgraded because the current system config cant tolerate much in VR. Dont forget PSVR is still going to be only 960 x 1080 to each eye so the resolution will be much lower than the Vive & Rift. We are talking about DK2 resolution here. On the other hand PSVR will have the advantage of a much larger install base and more affordable hardware. PSVR will be similar to regular monitor/TV gaming on consoles vs PC as it is today. Console VR will be cheaper, plug & play, have more games. PC VR will be a more high-end experience, cost more, and have less users. All depends on your budget and what you want out of your system. I welcome the PSVR, it means more VR games produced for everyone. thumb.gif

The way I'm thinking is that Oculus and Vive are targeting the same consumers - PC users. The differences being Vive has proven room scale tracking but is a little less comfortable vs Oculus. Oculus has a better lineup of games AND is more comfortable. Both devices in their soon to be complete state will do the same thing for the same target audience.
Oculus has advertised room scale tracking (yet to be proven) and when touch releases (and works as advertised) will certainly move it ahead of the vive in consumers minds as the go-to device (if it actually does room scale; for the sake of this post we will assume touch will). Even if HTC releases the Vive 2.0 to address the comfort issue it only puts the Vive in an equal position to the Oculus in comfort but behind Oculus in content .... so basically still behind Oculus (with the understanding that Touch for Oculus does what is advetises-roomscale tracking) leaving HTC to add something in addition to room scale tracking & comfort which Oculus may have/does have as well. Higher res (even slightly) would indeed make sense.
HTC has had time to R&D better specs, HTC would have had to have a finalized version of the Vive months prior to shipping date and could have had time even before that to start development on a higher res model no different to how game devs once the game has moved off development and into the distribution put the team onto DLC content long before release.

I would think the Vive could be offered much the same way vehicles within the same model can be upgraded beyond stock IE. A ford F150 can be 4x4 or 2x4, with AC or without AC but its still a Ford F150 PU with different price points. Not really like this but kind of the same idea ... without the price increase or at the same price

That said there are other spec upgrades which can be done such as incorporating a headset, better Bluetooth or interface systems .... heck even on Valves end there could be improvements which could be considered "spec upgrades" if indeed there is an upgrade beyond comfort. I just can't see an upgrade this soon into the release cycle to justify it for comfort alone ...... I just feel a vive upgrade needs to be greater than comfort alone or why bother. Vive does not gain anything other than leaving current customers resentful of the newer "comfort" version even if comfort was the only addition.

PSVR is a whole different animal, an animal both HTC and Oculus should be worried about. We PC users can beat the "higher res" on PC until that horse falls dead at our feet but it will fall on deaf ears. Console users don't care what the Glorious Master Race thinks, they bought a console for the same reasons they will disregard our argument. The console is cheaper, simpler to use and honestly we are not comparing apples and oranges with a PC HDM vs Console HMD. As console user, better textures on PC will not have me bowing down to PC for that one difference. PSVR, in theory, will own VR, the console has a far greater player base. 10% PC users vs 10% console users still equal millions more PSVR units sold vs Oculus and Vive combined.
PS4.5 is not needed to use PSVR. That has already been stated. You can still use the PSVR on current PS4 systems. The PS4.5 is an upgrade to the PS4 of course but PS4 only will not remove the ability to use PSVR. I'm sure the PS4.5 will offer a much better experience in the long run obviously.

Sony has said that the PS4.5 is to add longevity to the PS4 lifecycle ( in addition to horsepower for VR) and HTC doing the same with the Vive2.0 is no different to what sony has done with its own PS4 product upgrade. HTC using higher res screen so quickly after the initial release will offer longevity to its own product line.

Vive was released to counter Oculus, neither units were in the final state but released early out of fear for the others product capturing too much market share. Touch was late to the party and Vive released to counter Oculus even though Vive was not truly a finished product.

IDK, just my 2 cents

post #1273 of 2191 Old 07-17-2016, 01:00 PM

Liked: 19
Nothing in vr is going to bring console users to the pc. Different type of people buy them. Don't forget the psvr uses the move controllers.. have you used those things? The rift with touch and vive are already years ahead.

Resolution is already at its max right.. they can't have a $800 gpu be the recommended requirement. We're already seeing better looking games on vr and more non-vr games getting support. If they increased resolution to a noticeable amount, it would probably add at least $300 to the msrp. They need to get price down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1274 of 2191 Old 07-17-2016, 01:10 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 13
I just bought an Oculus Rift this week. Have to say the games are ok, but for sim racing (iRacing) this thing is absolutely amazing. Love it!!! biggrin.gif

post #1275 of 2191 Old 07-17-2016, 01:10 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 174
Price comes down with volume.
800 dollar gpu today is a 200 dollar gpu tomorrow
You cant compare pc and console hardware ie tracking. Console users dont care what pc has. Mote point

post #1276 of 2191 Old 07-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 359
post #1277 of 2191 Old 07-17-2016, 02:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Just got an amazing deal on a Thrustmaster T150.

Ordered yesterday - delivered today.

I can actually play Project Cars properly now.

█▓▒█▓♦ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 980 Owner's Club ♦█▓▒█▓
GPU History (Click to show)
Matrox Millenium / Matrox PowerVR
3DFX Voodoo2 12Mb - Who remembers Quake 2 and Unreal in Glide?
Matrox G550
Riva TNT2 Ultra 32Mb - 32 bit Colour.
ATI Radeon 9700
Nvidia Geforce 256 DDR
Nvidia Geforce 2 64Mb
BFG 8800GTS - a beast
Asus 560TI 1024Mb
Asus 560TI SLI
EVGA 980 GTX SC + EK FCWB
EVGA 980ti SC + EK FCWB
CPU History (Click to show)
Cyrix PR166+ - retired
Celeron 266 - retired
Pentium 2 450 - retired
Athlon 2000+ Thunderbird (this thing OC'ed +50%, I cried when I chipped the core)
Athlon 3200+ Barton - retired
i7 3770K - 5GHz, died @ 1.4V
i7 4770K still going @ 4.5GHz
post #1278 of 2191 Old 07-17-2016, 03:53 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post

PC gaming, dying since 1985 tongue.gif

Flat Screen Gaming is about to start dying wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihglah View Post

I can actually play Project Cars properly now.

What GPU and settings?
post #1279 of 2191 Old 07-17-2016, 04:01 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBee33 View Post

Flat Screen Gaming is about to start dying wink.gif
What GPU and settings?

We will still flat screen game, while in vr. It's not a flat screen replacement, as it can give you that at any size and location (resolution issues now). I do wonder how long "physical screens " will persist.

Got my 4930k at 5.1ghz daily 1.46v evap -42c at load: working at 5.2 daily (trying) daily
Titans 2-way SLI 1349mhz 7200-7300mhz vram 1.37v @ load 36-40c load daily

m18x: R2 2920xm 4.3-4.4 1.36-1.414v daily 780m 1006-1020mhz 1.037v daily
post #1280 of 2191 Old 07-17-2016, 04:07 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermi View Post

We will still flat screen game, while in vr. It's not a flat screen replacement, as it can give you that at any size and location (resolution issues now). I do wonder how long "physical screens " will persist.

There's nothing Flat in VR headsets if you wanna go there tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page