post #2151 of 2191 Old 12-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Overclocker in Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post

I tried Doom VFR on my buddies PS4 Pro, and your right Cravin, it has pretty bad control implementation unfortunately. It's very different than the Vives controls scheme.

So after reading up, I've found that full locomotion movement is indeed an option. After switching I'm really liking the game. Aim controller is nice but I would have liked move controllers with joysticks for movement and independent arm control

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2152 of 2191 Old 12-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Amiga 500

Liked: 33
Quote:

Anyone try Fallout 4 VR yet?

I have, if you own Fallout 4 (pancake version), you only need the VR files (about 80MB's), then you'll be able to just launch the game in VR.

As far as the game itself. It's enjoyable. It feels really different compared to the pancake edition, the sheer size is incredible.
I do have to enable interleaved reprojection otherwise the game is really stuttery.

post #2153 of 2191 Old 12-17-2017, 10:13 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravinmild View Post

So after reading up, I've found that full locomotion movement is indeed an option. After switching I'm really liking the game. Aim controller is nice but I would have liked move controllers with joysticks for movement and independent arm control
Thats great. Now all we need is that option on the Vive. It should be coming shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazybigfoot View Post

I have, if you own Fallout 4 (pancake version), you only need the VR files (about 80MB's), then you'll be able to just launch the game in VR.

As far as the game itself. It's enjoyable. It feels really different compared to the pancake edition, the sheer size is incredible.
I do have to enable interleaved reprojection otherwise the game is really stuttery.
I wonder how AMD is doing with the game in VR. The 1080Ti is said to max it out pretty easily, but im still stuck at work so no FO4 VR for me for a few more days. Excited to try it out.

Even more when the Pimax HMDs start rolling out next month. The view of FO4 with a 200 degree FOV!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2154 of 2191 Old 12-18-2017, 12:00 PM

Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazybigfoot View Post

Isn't that borderline promoting piracy? Might want to edit that, some people get upset at the hint of it. Dont take offense ...

post #2155 of 2191 Old 12-19-2017, 09:36 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Wow, it looks like Rockstar did it right with LA Noire. I loved the game when it first released. Will need to revisit in VR.

post #2156 of 2191 Old 12-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Amiga 500

Liked: 33
Quote:

Thats great. Now all we need is that option on the Vive. It should be coming shortly.
I wonder how AMD is doing with the game in VR. The 1080Ti is said to max it out pretty easily, but im still stuck at work so no FO4 VR for me for a few more days. Excited to try it out.

Even more when the Pimax HMDs start rolling out next month. The view of FO4 with a 200 degree FOV!

I think it's quite unstable, I've read about quite a few people who use a 1070/1080 with no problems, yet other people experience a lot of problems with a 1070/1080.
For me, the game ran at around 60-70 fps without interleaved reprojection but that felt way to jittery in my opinion.

Interleaved reprojection smoothed it out (I think it locks the fps to 45 or something? Not really familiar with what it does).

post #2157 of 2191 Old 12-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Database Developer

Liked: 20
Been rocking the TPCast wireless "solution" on my Rift since Monday. Damn. It took a bit of work to get up to spec, but it works beautifully now. I can do untethered roomscale in my office now (for the relatively small area I have).

I had to:
* do some additional configuration on the router (switch to wireless A only, force channel 40),
* open the on-board computer module and swap out the stock OS with image of OpenTPCast on a class 10 card for faster boot, and
* use VirtualHere for USB interface for orientation, tracking, and audio, instead of TPCast's stock software.
But once I did that, everything was almost perfect. I don't detect any lag or drop in resolution.

If it sounds like they shipped the preconfigured components of a hacky DIY project, well that's exactly what it is. You read right, there is a router, TPCast-branded, included with the solution, but it looks like a regular stock wifi router with some customized firmware. And the power supply is an Anker PowerCore 20100 power bank you can get by itself, which is nice if you need backups.

Is it worth $350 to turn a $400 VR headset wireless. No. More specifically, hell no. This is far from a viable commercial product, and I've seen TPCast exhibit some questionable judgement in design and partnership decisions, being the main reason I had to go to OpenTPCast operating system. And they swore they could miniaturize the router to a USB dongle. Instead, I had to take my desktop wireless to free up the wired network for tracking. That's just unforgivable.

Can I recommend it? With significant reservations. It's not a product. It's a project. They have the gall to package this like the Rift, in wrap with a large sleeved keeper box. It feels like it should have come in separate boxes on separate days from Amazon, Alibaba, Adafruit, Shapeways, and one sketchy guy on eBay. BUT it's apparently the only viable option in the market right now. You might be better off waiting for a whole new generation of hardware rather than slog through with this audaciously thrown together melange of tech.

In other news, Microsoft sneezed today.

*Linux users countered, saying their sneezes were more secure and open source.
*Mac users said their sneezes are better, more magical, and "just work".
*Windows 7 users complained that Microsoft was forcing them to sneeze, too.
*Playstation owners deployed a list of games that include sneezing at 1080p.
*The EU sued them for trying to monopolize sneezes.
*Privacy advocates believe someone is tracking sneezes.
*Consumer advocates called it a $neeze and expect Microsoft to bill them per $neeze at some future date.
*The average human being had a normal day OBLIVIOUS to the anti-Microsoft knee jerking.
post #2158 of 2191 Old 12-22-2017, 01:28 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Tip my hat to you, Edgeofblade. Wireless HMD is a wonderful solution, but I don't think it's ready for prime time quite yet due to the configuration process. Although TPcast specs look great. I am still "wireless" envy though and wish I could cut my cords.

Really hoping the next versions of HMDs are wireless. Although if I had a choice for wireless or high pixel density for zero SDE, I would pick the higher density. Ok I change that I would need 2 HMDs, one for sit down high density, and one for wireless freedom.
post #2159 of 2191 Old 12-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Liked: 28
Whelp, here is to thinking the TPCast could replace my roomscale wire management. I guess I will have to wait until 2020 when they come out with wireless headsets.
post #2160 of 2191 Old 12-22-2017, 09:22 AM

Liked: 5

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page