[Official] Starcraft 2 Strategy & Discussion Thread - Page 227 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #2261 of 25319 Old 09-29-2010, 07:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Semi finals up!! omg u must watch ( at least cools are ).

http://simple-night-21.heroku.com/

PSN Profile: Doom-
Battlefield 1 Profile: https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/profile/pc/DoomDash/
Excited for: RE7 DLC, Tekken 7 DLC, The Evil Within 2 DLC.
Currently Playing: Misc on CFW 3DS, The Evil Within 2, Tekken 7, Super Mario Odyssey.
Cars: 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo, 2007 Infiniti G35x.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2262 of 25319 Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 PM

Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFan View Post
You guys shouldn't rely on a build order. What I mean is that you should have a good starting point then the rest should be up to as in you could build 2 gateways, extractor then core or built 2 extractors. Maybe you want to build a forge instead and build some cannons near the entrance and around your base? My point is to get a good starting point and then think about what you plan to attack with, etc.... and start building and gathering more resources. To me, it makes the game more fun because you aren't sticking to a specific list because then it's pretty repetitive and where's the fun in that In my case, I've been experimenting with different starting points and while my latest one is probably my best, it'll leave me vulnerable if I don't make fast defense
And build order is exactly that. A good starting point. It's like an opening in chess or go, or most strategic games. I agree that blindly learning a build order isn't the best thing to do, but if you would just apply basic principles of the game, trying to get necessary units as soon as possible, taking into account possible attacks that may come at any given time, while constantly making probes and spending all your money, this is what you'd eventually end up it. And repetition is the best way to improve, up to the point where you don't even have to think about basics and can focus on other stuff, which is more fun.

It's like playing an instrument. You first learn notes and scales, and just practice boring stuff, but once you master it, you can play whatever you want.

Currently playing: Civ 6, Gwent

Fractal Design Define R2 case review
post #2263 of 25319 Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

I don't use build orders. Maybe I should, but I just get a feel for it and play.

Currently Playing: Misc on CFW 3DS, The Evil Within 2, Tekken 7, Super Mario Odyssey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2264 of 25319 Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 PM

Liked: 108
So you go like 10 depot, 15 rax, 21 two engineering bays in one game and then 7 rax, 9 rafinery, 10 command center in another? Interesting. I'd swear I saw some kind of returning patterns in your games though.

Currently playing: Civ 6, Gwent

Fractal Design Define R2 case review
post #2265 of 25319 Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by poroboszcz View Post
And build order is exactly that. A good starting point. It's like an opening in chess or go, or most strategic games. I agree that blindly learning a build order isn't the best thing to do, but if you would just apply basic principles of the game, trying to get necessary units as soon as possible, taking into account possible attacks that may come at any given time, while constantly making probes and spending all your money, this is what you'd eventually end up it. And repetition is the best way to improve, up to the point where you don't even have to think about basics and can focus on other stuff, which is more fun.

It's like playing an instrument. You first learn notes and scales, and just practice boring stuff, but once you master it, you can play whatever you want.
Yes and no. What I mean is that the first couple of steps. In my case, I build drones till 10, do another drone with extractor trick, get a couple of overloads, some more drones, then pool. From there, I might get zerglings, queen, crawlers, gas, etc.... There is no order for this, for me, it's only up to the pool that it's pretty similar in every game, otherwise, I might just build no defense and jump straight to spire taking a risk. It's the beauty of the game, I can build any structure provided I have the required structure upgrade(lair or hive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDash View Post
I don't use build orders. Maybe I should, but I just get a feel for it and play.
Same here, just get a feel for what works and use it and so far, my game has improved tremendusly from when I first played some of those practice games. I am able to concentrate on several things at once. In one of my games against a terran today, I used burrowed roaches to infiltrate his base and move them near his cc. Mass some zerglings and like 20 mutalisks, then I used the zerglings to take his exp near his base, unburrowed roaches to take his cc and scv down as well as used my mutalisks for support. This is the key of game I wanna play using both flying and ground units

Playing:
- Starcraft 2 (Profile, Replays(1, 2))

Clubs:
- Canadian OCN Club (link)
- OCN Diablo III Club (Info, link)
post #2266 of 25319 Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Well I should clarify. I use a build order in the very beginning until about 15 supply. From there it depends on the match up / plan.

post #2267 of 25319 Old 09-29-2010, 09:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

4 more games till I get my tank icon . I wish I was closer to my ghost icon .

post #2268 of 25319 Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 27
Nexus Word Wars is...crazy.

Basically it's a nexus wars map, but to kill the enemy units (or at least, one shot them, as units will kill each other by firing at each other) you have to type out the word above their head (or basic math such as small multiplication or addition etc). the bigger (more expensive) the unit, the harder/longer the word is. team game, 3v3.

It's crazy fun XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaan go_quote.gif
bingo. playing with boobs and playing with zerg are very different.
post #2269 of 25319 Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchernobyl View Post
Nexus Word Wars is...crazy.

Basically it's a nexus wars map, but to kill the enemy units (or at least, one shot them, as units will kill each other by firing at each other) you have to type out the word above their head (or basic math such as small multiplication or addition etc). the bigger (more expensive) the unit, the harder/longer the word is. team game, 3v3.

It's crazy fun XD
That sounds interesting. I have yet to try custom games, since, I've been focusing on moving up the ladder. I'm now rank 35 and going up, but, it's gonna be pretty difficult to become the first or so due to needing >1000 points and unless I get a lot of wins, I'll drop back down with each loss :/

Playing:
- Starcraft 2 (Profile, Replays(1, 2))

Clubs:
- Canadian OCN Club (link)
- OCN Diablo III Club (Info, link)
post #2270 of 25319 Old 09-29-2010, 10:20 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 27
after pretty much being stuck in upper gold, and not going up in rank (even after fighting plenty of plats, i've checked!), i've investigated custom maps more, and some of them are really really fun. Desert Strike, Phantom Mode, and Nexus Word Wars are my favorites so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaan go_quote.gif
bingo. playing with boobs and playing with zerg are very different.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page