[Official] Battlefield 3 Information & Discussion Thread - Page 308 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #3071 of 52878 Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 AM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield;13866349 
How are they putting it on consoles then?

It is easy. They merely eat the disc, digest it and s*** it out for consoles. That is the process behind most console games I hear. Developers of COD know what I am talking about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3072 of 52878 Old 06-14-2011, 07:40 AM
PC Gaming Master Race

Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield;13866349 
How are they putting it on consoles then?

The same way any PC game is released to consoles or vice versa. It's coded specifically for each platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshield go_quote.gif

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
OCN quotes:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoat333 go_quote.gif

LG's best Android phone is like having the shiniest turd.
(So true)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe go_quote.gif

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif
post #3073 of 52878 Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 51
Then it CAN be ran in direct x 9, just an imposed limit.

Xbox360 = direct-x 9.

I think someone will find a way to force dx9....

Do they think this will help prevent piracy? netflix helps prevent piracy and they are going after it.. WOW. Super job.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3074 of 52878 Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 AM
PC Gaming Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killam0n;13866549 

Xbox360 = direct-x 9.

On PC it cannot be run in DX9. I guess the only exception would be if DICE patches it in, which I kind of doubt they'd do. PC gamers are generally all on DX10+ by now. I'm sure they know the statistics. Halo 2 is an example of another game that didn't support DX9 for a year or so, and was later patched to support it. I don't think it was an official patch from MS either.

Quote:

Regarding a target audience... pigs roll around in mud and crap all day, they love it, but it's still mud and crap they're rolling around in at the end of the day.
Quote:

(So true)
Quote:

How do you think they are making money? If you have a gmail account or a phone even without gmail on it google has a folder with your name on it with all your life and private information stored. I'm talking about what IP you use to browse the internet to your bookmarks to your most visited website ( Yes, they know you do thumb.gif).
Quote:

Just grab a real web browser instead. Google is ripping every single data you can give them. I wonder how long they know on you.
doh.gif
post #3075 of 52878 Old 06-14-2011, 09:13 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 165
Quote:

Xbox360 = direct-x 9.

thats like saying that the ps3 uses directx because the PC and xbox does. They are all coded seperately. With dx9 being dropped so that dx10/11 can be fully coded for the PC. There could be legacy code in bf3, but we dont know for sure, if they still had it, i have no doubt that they would have included it in the PC version.

if you are still using windows xp, well you cant blame anyonoe for not supporting legacy software now. the original xbox and windows xp were release about the same time, no one develops for xbox anymore, why should they for xp?
post #3076 of 52878 Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
"Senior member"

Liked: 552
Quote:

Xbox360 = direct-x 9.

Frostbite 2 is multiplatform, but the PC version is being completely based on DX11 with backward compatibility only going to DX10. Legacy DX9 code will not be there. Of course they will have DX9 and no DX10/11 for the X360 build, but it not anywhere in the PC build.

Not an imposed limit, DICE is just one of the few dev's making the leap forward and leaving dx9 in the dust. BF3 is the first game built specifically on DX11 IIRC.

| Steam : MistaHiggins |
Currently Playing: Soma
Respect PC developers. Fight piracy.
Libertas, numquam ex more.
post #3077 of 52878 Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 AM
PC Gaming Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins;13867422 
BF3 is the first game built specifically on DX11 IIRC.

I think Civilization 5 is.

Hamilton's Great Adventure is another game that doesn't support DX9. I thought MOH didn't either?

Quote:

Quote:

(So true)
Quote:

Quote:

doh.gif
post #3079 of 52878 Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphus1;13865432 
lol why? As i have said earlier ytou'll get all >DLC and warpack with any pre-order

edit: purchased before the "warpack" was anounced

It's about business ethics, gaming principles (of balance) and creating a fair and enjoyable community for everyone.

I support DLC content and paying for them, but releasing DLC on the day of release doesn't make sense, the game is already completed more or less and the DLC is completed as well, this may not be a concern to any one who pre-orders but what about those who don't or cannot, is it fair to charge them extra to get the "complete" game that was finished before launch. This is open to debate, some would say it is fair because people pre-ordered to support the developers ahead of time where as others would argue that a complete product should not be split into parts to motivate pre-orders when they could have used something else as motivation that could reward pre-orders and not punish those who purchased after release, for example early unlocks like in Bad Company 2.

What really triggered the boycott and rage on reddit and other communities online is the exclusive physical warefare pack that includes content that could potentially upset game balance, and even if it does not, the perception of imbalance will be enough to divide the "haves" and "have nots" in the BF3 community. This simply does not work in a competitive gaming environment, giving an advantage to one group of people based on geography, choice of retailer and ability to pre-order is discrimination and could result in a less than positive gaming experience.

The more pressing concern here is the affect it will have on the gaming community and industry as a whole, dismissing the problem as "oh it's just a few weapons no one will use anyways" or "you can just pre-order it and wont' have to worry" are very common responses in individualist societies but multiplayer communities, where people depend on eachother to have fun through cooperation(with your team) and competition(with other team) then it seems rather counter-productive to make some people have an advantage in game over others when balance is such an important aspect of cooperation and competition. Even if there isn't any real balance issues, the perception will be enough to divide people and the fact that EA has introduced the idea of something that could upset game balance is enough to say "Wait, why are they doing this? Is this healthy for the gaming community or industry? If not then what should I do?"

If you do nothing, EA will continue it's pattern of marketing to achieve the ultimate goal of profit making, but if we do something that would upset profits then we can change things for better.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
-Alexander Hamilton

Dismiss me if you wish and call me a fool, but I rather be a fool who stands for something than a genius who stands for nothing.

PS: I have done my part, cancelled my pre-order and sent an email to EA regarding the DLC and exclusive content, if you would like to do the same you can go HERE to get more info.
post #3080 of 52878 Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBunnies;13868561 
It's about business ethics, gaming principles (of balance) and creating a fair and enjoyable community for everyone.

I support DLC content and paying for them, but releasing DLC on the day of release doesn't make sense, the game is already completed more or less and the DLC is completed as well, this may not be a concern to any one who pre-orders but what about those who don't or cannot, is it fair to charge them extra to get the "complete" game that was finished before launch. This is open to debate, some would say it is fair because people pre-ordered to support the developers ahead of time where as others would argue that a complete product should not be split into parts to motivate pre-orders when they could have used something else as motivation that could reward pre-orders and not punish those who purchased after release, for example early unlocks like in Bad Company 2.

What really triggered the boycott and rage on reddit and other communities online is the exclusive physical warefare pack that includes content that could potentially upset game balance, and even if it does not, the perception of imbalance will be enough to divide the "haves" and "have nots" in the BF3 community. This simply does not work in a competitive gaming environment, giving an advantage to one group of people based on geography, choice of retailer and ability to pre-order is discrimination and could result in a less than positive gaming experience.

The more pressing concern here is the affect it will have on the gaming community and industry as a whole, dismissing the problem as "oh it's just a few weapons no one will use anyways" or "you can just pre-order it and wont' have to worry" are very common responses in individualist societies but multiplayer communities, where people depend on eachother to have fun through cooperation(with your team) and competition(with other team) then it seems rather counter-productive to make some people have an advantage in game over others when balance is such an important aspect of cooperation and competition. Even if there isn't any real balance issues, the perception will be enough to divide people and the fact that EA has introduced the idea of something that could upset game balance is enough to say "Wait, why are they doing this? Is this healthy for the gaming community or industry? If not then what should I do?"

If you do nothing, EA will continue it's pattern of marketing to achieve the ultimate goal of profit making, but if we do something that would upset profits then we can change things for better.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
-Alexander Hamilton

Dismiss me if you wish and call me a fool, but I rather be a fool who stands for something than a genius who stands for nothing.

PS: I have done my part, cancelled my pre-order and sent an email to EA regarding the DLC and exclusive content, if you would like to do the same you can go HERE to get more info.

Man's got a point^
Thing is I want the game so badly I still have to buy it gunner.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page