Was it worth it to build this new PC? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-01-2006, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I'm not gonna explain the stats (they're at the bottom), but I used to have a P4 2.8 HT, 1.5GB DDR2 Ram, eVGA 6800GT, 80GB Harddrive, and a 300W power supply, also junky Dell mobo and case.

Well the reason for the upgrade was to play BF2, FEAR, HL2, and WoW at even higher settings and have smooth framerates. I already had all these games at near max with my old setup so I'm not too sure if getting all of this was worth it.

I figure it may be worth it in the future (especially if I get Oblivion), but idk, what do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-01-2006, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

also what games (other than Oblivion) do you guys think I should get which will totally utilize the new power of my system?

post #3 of 15 Old 05-01-2006, 11:00 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 42
Tomb Raider Legend is a really demanding game ,if you like the genre

Quote:
__________________OVERCLOCKERS ARE AN odd bunch, and tend to evoke terms usually used in conjunction with mad movie scientists
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-01-2006, 11:19 AM
333mhz

Liked: 1
in my experience all games benefit from the better card...and in the future u could sli 2 of them bad boys together to handle oblivion with everything maxed even AA probably...and probably most new games that come out over the next year or 2. theres people that claim to run oblivion maxed with AA on one card but i'll put 50$ that theyre framerates are crawling in well lighted outdoor scenes...maybe in caves that works...

post #5 of 15 Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 AM

Liked: 135
Anyone that claims to be running Oblivion on one gfx card with EVERYTHING maxed (@1600x1200) is talking ****. Even SLi'ed GTX's cant do that.

Oblivion is made for next-gen hardware Just wait till we have mid range cards that can play that game as if it was nothing.

post #6 of 15 Old 05-01-2006, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

lol thanks for all the info guys

I guess it's a good thing that I got what I got, I should be set for a while . . .

my ultimate goal was to have this last me until next summer when Vista and the new gen of cards will be out and have some time behind them

I originally wanted to get vista and the new series cards at launch, but didn't want to deal with any problems, so I figured wait to give it some time behind it.

post #7 of 15 Old 05-01-2006, 12:51 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxious89123
Anyone that claims to be running Oblivion on one gfx card with EVERYTHING maxed (@1600x1200) is talking ****. Even SLi'ed GTX's cant do that.

Oblivion is made for next-gen hardware Just wait till we have mid range cards that can play that game as if it was nothing.

Well...depends on your definition of "running".

I play @1024x768(max res for my 27" display), with everything maxxed, minus of course, no HDR, and I get very nice frames....

I may get a slight bit of sluggishness at certain times(like standing in front of an Oblivion Gate with several mobs attacking me and a lot of particle/lighting effects), but nothing below 30FPS, and usually stays strong at 40-50+.

And thats with AF x 16, and Temporal AA x 6.

Now, granted thats not @1600 x 1200...

...but it just seems funny to me how people make oblivion out to be this game that will barely run on even the most powerful systems. I myself was hoping my system could run it on medium settings with OK frames...and when I got the game, I was like...oh....this is it?

Sheeawt....I was expecting my system to chunk like I was running 3dMark06'

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid; humans are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond imagination."
- Albert Einstein

post #8 of 15 Old 05-01-2006, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

wow dude thanks for that info . . .

I could probably run Oblivion quite high! lol

It seems like the resolution is the rough part, so if I don't jack it up I should be fine.

post #9 of 15 Old 05-01-2006, 11:24 PM

Liked: 14
For sure. /drool

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid; humans are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond imagination."
- Albert Einstein

post #10 of 15 Old 05-02-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

lol

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page