post #11 of 20 Old 09-18-2012, 02:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

Mineral oil is a bad mix for TECs. If you have seen any results from oil cooled PCs, one thing stands out. They take a long time to reach full load, but once there they hold a TON of heat in the loop, and stay at that high temp long after you remove the load. TECs release a ton of heat, which mineral oil won't be able to keep cool.
You can't cool a TEC with it, but maybe a traditional watercooling loop on the hot side and then just use the cold side in a chiller to cool the ambient water in a submersion fish-tank PC?
Going further, you may be better off just submerging an Arqtik chiller in a tank of mineral oil, leave the cold side loop output open, and keep the hot side isolated with a separate external radiator standard WC setup.

I was thinking that the OP meant to cool the tec with a waterblock, while keeping other chilled with the mineral oil, while avoiding having to insulate the board.

My concern with this setup was the oil getting cold enough to form condensation on it's surface directly, which being denser than the oil, would sink, and gradually pool at the bottom of the tank until it shorted the board.

I suppose a valve could be placed at the bottom, and a gap left at the bottom of the tank, so any condensation could be drained, without losing oil, if it reached a certain level.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 09-18-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
ok so that everybody usderstands i don't plan on using a regular air cooler to cool my oil. all the setups i have seen so far just use a radiator and fans that would not be any better than regular air cooling i want subzero temps on my return line that will spray directly on to the stock heatsink and fan with a TEC under that. I made a simple drawing that explains what i plan.

Thanks for all the input i plan on doing several test with TEC's and oil if this project works and i get super cool temps then ill upgrade to a 990fx board or better and push for a record clock without liquid nitro

current project budget overclock "MUST HAVE MORE RAINBOW TABLES" im am new to jumperless overclocking the last thing i overclocked was a pentuim 133MHz to 166MHz LOL. My build consist of a asus M5A-78L-MLX V2 mob and AMD FX6100 6 core, a bottle neck video card but i don't play games but could use some CUDA cores to crunch numbers, and 8g g-skill DDR3-1600, so far using the automatic overclocking at 12% i get a stable 3.8GHz tested using RTGEN building ntlm hashes for over six hours straight never went over 50c with cover off and room cooled down to 10c. Going to drop this in mineral oil with a peltier cooler after i get a vido card?tongue.gif
post #13 of 20 Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked: 52
so instead of water cooling ,he could go with a mineral oil system (same basic idea but could set it to -8)and add a defroster (a la reefer)dam this is actually relativly simple to do ,only defroster needed)-8 wow that is a lot of cooling power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 Old 09-18-2012, 02:46 PM
post #15 of 20 Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake78 View Post

ok it's not called florine it's called fluorinert made by 3M used in cpu manufacturing here is a link
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=sssss72sFWtTz8UuoY9zpY_sFWuRFWtsFWtsFWtsFssssss--&fn=bro_heattrans.pdf
Holy Crap i finaly found some for sale at 300 to 1500 per gallon They can keep it
I have a refrigeration licens so im going to make a freon chiller to cool mineral oil

that's the stutf all i remember was it was made by 3M it was a really long time ago that i read about it.

post #16 of 20 Old 09-20-2012, 06:04 AM

Liked: 71
Fluorinert is an interesting product but unfortunately gets thicker as the temperature goes down. At 3-5 C it has the viscosity of 100 weight oil and pumps cannot flow that kind of thick liquid.

:True De-Lidder not Re-Lidder ! Processor dies can run naked. Show your TEC`s some love !!!
post #17 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 240
yeah the article i read was talking about how it turned to Gel when it got really cold.

post #18 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 09:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

yeah the article i read was talking about how it turned to Gel when it got really cold.

like powerade when you put it in the freezer. lol.

post #19 of 20 Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 PM

Liked: 0
I have been thinking about this problem myself... The solution I have in my head involves either installing several TEC plates on the radiator it self or integrating some kind of phase shifting to cool the radiator...
post #20 of 20 Old 10-06-2012, 03:57 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 4
I had a similar setup but I fully submerged my computer in oil. I had two 480mm radiators, one in the oil and one out doubled up with fans with alcohol running in the lines. This system could be easily modified to cool the oil with TECs and some sort of cooling block integrated into the alcohol circuit.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page