TEC on air? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2006, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i want a TEC that will NOT cause my cpu to go sub zero and infact stay a fair bit away so i dont need fancy insulation and what not. what kind of wattage should i go for?

current specs:
DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert (BIOS UNKNOWN)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo
Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon Copper
VANTEC ICEBERQ COPPER CHIPSET COOLING
Mushkin Redline XP PC4000 2GB 2X1GB DDR500 CL3-3-2-8
eVGA E-GEFORCE 7800GTX 256MB w/ ACS3
Arctic Cooling Nv Silencer 5 REV. 3
Sound Blaster X-FI Xtrememusic
2x Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160GB SATA2(r0)/2x200 maxtor dm10 SATA hdds (r0)/160 seagate barcuda SATA/120 maxtor dm9 133 ATA /300 maxtor dm10 SATA 16mb
NEC Black DVD+/-RW ND-3540A
Seasonic S12-600HT 600W
AeroCool COOLPANEL2
in a sesame seed ... er ... antec p180

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-15-2006, 03:42 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 329
firstly welcome to the forum secondly fill out ya specs under user cp at the top of the page. You will want to get the most wattage you can afford and just down tune it from there with an adjustable power supply, Peltiers run most efficient at about .5 of their rated maximum.http://www.overclock.net/peltiers-te...e-1-basic.html check this out.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2006, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuchan
firstly welcome to the forum secondly fill out ya specs under user cp at the top of the page. You will want to get the most wattage you can afford and just down tune it from there with an adjustable power supply, Peltiers run most efficient at about .5 of their rated maximum.http://www.overclock.net/peltiers-te...e-1-basic.html check this out.
hmm good read.

i was thinking to pretty much go all out on the pelt (which is not really epensive) then get a used variable powersupply and adjust as needed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-16-2006, 02:46 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 156
To even start you'll need a minimum of 437w TEC reasonably. That way, when you turn the voltage down to about 9 volts you'll still have decent temps. I'm running mine (watercooled TEC & 437w peltier) at 13.5v and get -25C idle and -8C load temps.

If you'd give it about 9 volts, you'd probably get 15C or 20C load temps. You'll need a huge tower cooler, or maybe a Tt big typhoon (I don't know what heatpipe cooler can handle the most heat, you'll have to do some reasearch) and it's still not guaranteed to work. You'll have to design some type of clamp for the peltier to clamp the pelt between the heatsink and a "cold plate" (solid copper plate that goes between the peltier and the processor). The more pressure on the peltier, the better. You'll be dumping a lot of heat into your case, so a tower cooler could theoretically work best since you could duct the exhaust straight out of your case.

Saying all of this, I have no idea what temps you'll get, since I've never pelted on air. But if you do get it working and get somewhat decent temps, take a lot of pics and give a lot of details because there's been a lot of people who wanted to try this but never got around to it.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-16-2006, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

hmm ... "reading week" project .. ..

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page