Phase Change on Penryns? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-26-2008, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I'm considering a more extreme cooling solution than a watercooling kit for my QX9650. I know that I'll be most likely building a custom cooler because the market kits are a tad expensive, and reportedly don't work too well with quads. I'm fine with that, as my engineering buddy and I are going to try to build something over break (insanity and hilarity will surely ensue).

Considering that there is a big issue with electromigration on the 45-nm chips at higher voltage (people's chips grant diminishing returns, even die after a matter of weeks/days), what effect will extreme cooling have? Can it prevent high vcores (>1.4v) from killing chips?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 AM
4387 point(s) total

Liked: 4426
Send a message via MSN to DuckieHo
It will absolutely help since heat is part of the function of electormigration rate. However, there is no way we can know since only Intel has the data.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #3 of 4 Old 02-26-2008, 01:57 PM
NoL
Extreme Cooler

Liked: 189
Send a message via MSN to NoL
Low temperatures will reduce migration for sure, we know that. Good luck with the phase build.

I freeze things.

Ask me about vapor phase change if you have questions, I'm always around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii View Post
So I'm considering a more extreme cooling solution than a watercooling kit for my QX9650. I know that I'll be most likely building a custom cooler because the market kits are a tad expensive, and reportedly don't work too well with quads. I'm fine with that, as my engineering buddy and I are going to try to build something over break (insanity and hilarity will surely ensue).

Considering that there is a big issue with electromigration on the 45-nm chips at higher voltage (people's chips grant diminishing returns, even die after a matter of weeks/days), what effect will extreme cooling have? Can it prevent high vcores (>1.4v) from killing chips?
Good luck pal.

I am 61% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page