Help Me Pick A Phone - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 09-02-2013, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So I have an HTC One V, with Virgin Mobile. My first smartphone. Boy is it a piece of crap. 1ghz Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon, 512 MB of memory, etc but jesus it's so damn slow. I got it in December, I don't play mobile games, i just want everything to respond immediately. But it doesn't happen with this phone. Everything lags. I have eight apps installed: Facebook, Spotify, Unified Remote, Ebay, Snapchat, Amazon, Autostarts, and Advanced Task Killer Free. I had the crappy stock sense ROM but it was even worse, so I got some Rhythmic Rom thing, based on Cyanogenmod. Still hardly any performance increase. I've cleared the cache, moved all that I can to the SD card, the phone still sucks. it randomly locks up for no reason, the web browser on my 3DS is faster than this thing. I don't care about playing games, I have no preference for Android or IOS or Win8, I just want recommendations for a phone that will respond immediately, like my PC does. All i really use it for is listening to music, Facebook, texting, calling, and Googling stuff. That's all i need in a phone.

TL;DR I need a phone that will respond like a well-maintained PC, but I don't need much power since I don't game.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 7
A Samsung Galaxy S3 is a nice choice--especially with a minimialist ROM.
Plus they're pretty cheap since the S4 came out.
The pricing fluccuates around 350-400 depending on Amazon and Ebay each day.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=galaxy%20s3
Cheap as 289 used if you don't mind the white edition.

I like Sentinelmod (based on Cyanogenmod) but there are plenty of options.
And phone is very responsive.

post #3 of 38 Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 AM
Case Modder

Liked: 10
personally i got the s4 (I9505 with the snapdragon 600), running cyanogenmod 10.2 this is the best phone i've ever had biggrin.gif although it's quite pricey, and most people would be fine with the s3.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 09-02-2013, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Are there any decent phones that have a qwerty keyboard? I hate having to use a touchscreen to type

post #5 of 38 Old 09-02-2013, 01:25 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 27
I know I'm taking a huge risk here and am going to get flamed to no end, but..

it is my personal opinion that the iPhone beats all other phones I have seen in responsiveness. iOS runs really smoothly, due to the hardware and software being designed together in synergy. The hardware capability of any phone is irrelevant unless the software has been optimised to run specifically on that hardware.

This is why I am not really a fan of Android devices - recently there was a study done that showed that only roughly 30% of Android devices are using the latest version of Android, compared to 96% of iOs devices. Consider that also there are so many different types of hardware combinations and screen resolutions running on several different iterations of Android, vs only 5 different ones for iOs devices.

How can you expect a portable device to function smoothly when the hardware and software were developed independently? Apple isn't perfect, but I think they've got it right in this case.

Just my opinion and preference, please feel free to disagree with me. Now excuse me while I put my flame suit on. smile.gif
post #6 of 38 Old 09-02-2013, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I've never used an Apple device, and I'd like an Iphone for those reasons you mentioned, but they're pretty expensive. I don't wanna have to sign a contract and pay like $60 a month, I've been considering trying out Ting, it's a newer phone company based on Sprint's towers, where you pay for only what you use. And you can bring your own Sprint phone so I've been looking at those. Anyone know if that would pertain to an unlocked phone like the Nexus 4?

post #7 of 38 Old 09-02-2013, 01:36 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanlan View Post

I've never used an Apple device, and I'd like an Iphone for those reasons you mentioned, but they're pretty expensive. I don't wanna have to sign a contract and pay like $60 a month, I've been considering trying out Ting, it's a newer phone company based on Sprint's towers, where you pay for only what you use. And you can bring your own Sprint phone so I've been looking at those. Anyone know if that would pertain to an unlocked phone like the Nexus 4?

Nexus 4 only works on certain networks, so make sure the nexus 4 is compatible with whatever network you are trying to use. wink.gif

post #8 of 38 Old 09-02-2013, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Also, you guys are recommending pretty high-end stuff. Will I need a quad core for my phone to not suck? I don't know too much about phones but it's like you guys are recommending high-end i5s for a guy who only browses the internet, if that analogy makes sense.

post #9 of 38 Old 09-02-2013, 01:42 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanlan View Post

If you're pinging off Sprint (Virgin Mobile does too I believe.) then you would need a CDMA phone vs a GSM phone unless you went with a prepaid carrier that uses SIM cards. Then you could look at a Nexus 4, until then you may want call your carrier and the one you're thinking of switching to and ask them what phones they will accept. If it's just Sprint phones then you could take a look at some of the higher end Android phones like the HTC One, Galaxy Nexus, S3, or S4.

But in the long run, CDMA is CDMA. GSM (SIM Cards) can be virtually universal. However, if you're also looking at trying an iPhone a iPhone 4 / 4S can usually be found on the cheap on eBay or Craigslist. Just make sure that ESN number is clean prior to buying so you don't end up with half a paper weight. But most of all make sure your carrier will allow it on their network.

I got this subscribed to so if you have any other questions I'll get to them if someone else doesn't. smile.gif

Edit - Saw your post above.. The phone above (Galaxy Nexus) is a very solid phone and can be had pretty darn cheap if you look around. A Sprint model would run you about $100-$135 with a Clean ESN locally or on eBay. Another model you can look at would be the HTC EVO 4G LTE which is a higher end Android phone but doesn't cost too much. (Got one for around $175 shipped on eBay.) that or even a Galaxy S2 (Samsung Epic Touch 4G on Sprint.)

Currently Playing :
Destiny - Xbox One
Gamertag - Em Wolb yeH
post #10 of 38 Old 09-02-2013, 01:42 AM
ATI Enthusiast

Liked: 42
Honestly, a Galaxy S II should suit you just fine, and I know that you can get it free with most phone services with new contract. Just an idea.

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
Worth: $2577 ($704 with sales)Games owned: 153Games not played: 73 (48%)Hours on record: 265.2h

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page