Heads up on tethering cellphones & laptops. - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-25-2008, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If you tether your PC or Laptop to a cellphone for internet usuage and have an unlimited plan, beware.

In the cellular companies ToS, they can cancel your service for using it too much (bittorrent, slingbox users complain of this all the time... Thank god I don't work CS.. But I've the heard yelling) AND charge an ETF... They can really cancel it for any reason but if your putting a huge bandwidth drain on their network, they will cancel you.

Just a heads up. Trying to contribute back... Verizon itself was a huge culprit of this, but became a little bit more lax over the last year but I still hear reports... I assume their laxness comes from recent network upgrades in most major markets but just the other day someone came into the store yelling & screaming etc...

I've worked many many places in my life. I've sold cell phones, worked HVAC for my father, managed pizza stores, even ran a car wash.
I repair phones now... but in all my life, the wireless industry has got to be the most stressful job I've ever worked. People yell at you all day long. Every day, all week. All month, for years... Least Verizon pays (somewhat) decently and has a great insurance package
Whoops got off topic.

Beware of unlimited data plans! They aren't truly unlimited. Read your ToS now! /rant

~R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-25-2008, 04:49 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 118
Very good information for all tech savvy people out there. I personally only use cell phones to make calls and then only sparingly.

Fold for a CURE! Fold for Team 37726

"Tankman12" aka "ForceXXI" on BF2,CS:S & COD4 biggrin.gif
X-Fire username= ForceXXI
What is Folding? Click Here
post #3 of 3 Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 49
I just hope people read and memorize their ToS if they decide to tether. I don't want anyone getting burned and then having to pay $175 ETF because of the greedy cell companies.

There are class action suits against every cell company for doing this I believe, but it'll take a few years before anything is settled and that doesn't guarantee a victory.

~R

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page