Buying HTC HD7. Any opinions before I make the jump? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm selling my Motorola Cliq on eBay and buying an HD7 because I can get it for a 100 bucks with my new contract. Does anyone here own this phone? Any insight? I know the MS App store is still fairly new and doesn't have many cool apps just yet but I think the things like Netflix streaming and Xbox live sell the phone itself.

I've owned android for the past 2-3 years and even though it is a great platform, I've gotten stuck with crappy phones. I had the Tmobile G1, broke after a year, then got the Motorola Cliq and its soooo slow.

Another reason why im switching is probably because everyone in my family is starting to buy android based phones and me being the tech junkie, do not want to be part of the majority. Windows Phone 7 ftw? lol. <----terrible name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBKreeme;12637148 
I'm selling my Motorola Cliq on eBay and buying an HD7 because I can get it for a 100 bucks with my new contract. Does anyone here own this phone? Any insight? I know the MS App store is still fairly new and doesn't have many cool apps just yet but I think the things like Netflix streaming and Xbox live sell the phone itself.

I've owned android for the past 2-3 years and even though it is a great platform, I've gotten stuck with crappy phones. I had the Tmobile G1, broke after a year, then got the Motorola Cliq and its soooo slow.

Another reason why im switching is probably because everyone in my family is starting to buy android based phones and me being the tech junkie, do not want to be part of the majority. Windows Phone 7 ftw? lol. <----terrible name.

I can't help,

However im coming from a Galaxy S to a HTC mozart.

Changing providers, brothers getting my Galaxy S.

So id like to know what people opinons are!

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Leebruce.gif

People are so good. (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Hilgert Ferrari go_quote.gif
Dude, BfBC2 @ 1080p maxed out running on my Phenon X6 @4.0ghz and CF 6850 uses 90% CPU.

That's 21,6Ghz of pure power for a game.

post #3 of 21 Old 03-06-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Pumpkin;12637196 
I can't help,

However im coming from a Galaxy S to a HTC mozart.

Changing providers, brothers getting my Galaxy S.

So id like to know what people opinons are!

How was the Galaxy S? I was in love with that phone until i just got tired of android, thought I'd give Windows a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBKreeme;12637329 
How was the Galaxy S? I was in love with that phone until i just got tired of android, thought I'd give Windows a try.

Great,

I bought it with eclair and then upgraded it to the offical Froyo update.

I had the voodoo lagfix on each. You need a lagfix!

After that it was absolutely awesome.

No compliants, apart from the screen tint which was also fixed with voodoo.

But it did feel quite "cheap" and "plasticy" but it is build strongly.
Cyph3r likes this.

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Leebruce.gif

Quote:
Dude, BfBC2 @ 1080p maxed out running on my Phenon X6 @4.0ghz and CF 6850 uses 90% CPU.

post #5 of 21 Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 25
Ahhh. I fully support the HD7. Recently switched from the G1 (2.1 ROM installed) to this beast. The market is still very young so don't really expect too many apps, but you're in for a ride. The fact that you can link contacts together is very helpful (Facebook and phone number from one person). Cleans things up nicely.

I heart.gifMechanical Keyboard !
post-flame-small.gif_.=4 GHz Overclock Club=._post-flame-small.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis142 go_quote.gif
Friendlier BSOD? So it's like a Blue Screen Of Coma?
BFBC2 iD: grandestfail919
post #6 of 21 Old 03-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Nerapa dapa eeezy peezy!

Liked: 340
back plate on the hd7 is thin and plasticy. feels very cheap. the kick stand is nice though hardware is impressive.

good phone overall, but the short comings are annoying.

if you drop the hd7 on hard surface, i can expect the battery to just pop out due to the back plate

post #7 of 21 Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 PM

Liked: 6
WP7 is pointless tbh. the only thing that windows mobile 6 had over others was productivity and organization but now thats gone. all thats left is an animated OS that looks good but has no apps.

post #8 of 21 Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Liked: 70
Comparatively, the HD7 is a good device but the platform is lacking. No multi tasking, not very many useful apps on the marketplace, so at that point the phone only becomes useful for voice/text and internet browsing, and many better phones(using Android, mind you)can be had the same price with a HUGE increase in functionality. Bing maps is inferior to Google maps, there is an app map on the marketplace that uses Google maps data but you have to pay for it. Why would you pay for that when you get Google maps on Android devices for free?
post #9 of 21 Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Asylum;12643838 
Comparatively, the HD7 is a good device but the platform is lacking. No multi tasking, not very many useful apps on the marketplace, so at that point the phone only becomes useful for voice/text and internet browsing, and many better phones(using Android, mind you)can be had the same price with a HUGE increase in functionality. Bing maps is inferior to Google maps, there is an app map on the marketplace that uses Google maps data but you have to pay for it. Why would you pay for that when you get Google maps on Android devices for free?

Thanks for that but...

You may want to allow it to develop.

Compare Android 1, iOS1 and Windows Mobile 7.

The platfrom is reasonably new, you have to give it time.

-Bruce Leebruce.gif

Quote:

post #10 of 21 Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 24
HD7 user here coming from a Rooted 2.1 G1. Love the phone. Just like already said was a day 1 Android user and just grew bored of it. Don't get me wrong Android has grown into a powerhouse of an OS but no matter how much it can do, I just grew more and more bored of it. Once I first heard of WP7 I was immediately drawn to it. Xbox Live on the go was the main pull. 4.3" Screen, kickstand, dual flash were nice pluses. Netflix was an added bonus so to speak. The Metro UI is quick, fluid and smooth.

Overall the OS is growing, games are great, hardware is solid, apps just keep getting pumped out, the Homebrew scene is crazy, and a new refreshing take on the whole iOs/Android divide.

Here is a thread I put together on launch day....haven't updated since I made it. frown.gif But here's some pictures.

http://www.overclock.net/mobile-phones-smartphones-pocket-pcs/862708-definitive-htc-hd7-thread-56k-warning.html

If you have any questions about anything (Features, Dev-unlocking, Homebrew, Games, Apps, Etc.) let me know.

Gamertag: Yannie Boy

|360| Xbox 360 Elite - Resident Evil 5 Edition
|PC| Asus - 1015PN-PU17
|Phone| HTC - HD7 "Mangofied"
Achievements at home, on the move, and on the go.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page