I want to get into photography - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I really liked photography my whole life, but I really started to enjoy it when I got a Panasonic g10 for my birthday. It was something that I could really fool around and mess with. I really want to get into photography and I am a real noob right now, so is there any guides or tips you can give me? Thanks!

Tapatalk`d by my Note

{IAM}BARBEQUED_LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlockaFlam2 go_quote.gif

yesterday i was thinking why am i running a 7970 on a $19, mATX mobo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 12
One thing that helps a lot is to do one of those picture a day challenges, like Project365 or something. First of all, you get kind of forced to bring your camera everywhere you go just in case you do find something interesting. It also just trains your eye to compose things into nice pictures and it could even help you with post processing since you may want to edit some of them. Just keep at it and it will pay off eventually; the more you do it, the better you'll become at it
post #3 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 05:06 AM

Liked: 17
Really want to get into it?

Carry a camera everywhere. I take my 7D with me all day every day, but its hardly practical. I just put up with it.

Canon EOS 7D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | EF 50mm MkII f/1.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 | Speedlite 430EXII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 07:17 AM
(V);,,;(V) Why not Zoidberg?

Liked: 276
carrying your camera everywhere helps. but learning more about cameras is by far better. learn more about exposure and how to shoot so that when you do take pictures you will be even happier with the results. shooting is great but if you dont understand what you are doing its hard to improve.

i probably wouldnt suggest a project or a photo a day type thing like photo365 until you were a lot more advanced of a photographer as you will get more out of the project with experience rather than probably doing it just to do it. what i mean by this is if a beginner photographer did a 365 photo project you would have 365 shot and more since you are going to shoot more than ones shot a day. at the end of a year with no real knowledge about photography you may see very little improvement over that time. but if you learn and even take a class it will help guide you towards becoming a better photog and you will generally be more proud of your shots because you will see improvement and just feel better about your pictures overall. even professionals take the time to always improve their photography because in the end as an artist you will generally not like your own work but if you take the time to learn your craft you will appreciate it more and be happier with your shots. if that makes sense, just going out and shooting is great but going out and shooting with the understanding of what is happening when you press the shutter button is more rewarding when you get that really great shot.

these are for DSLRs but photography itself is still the same just a different type of camera:

http://www.overclock.net/t/483885/a-guide-on-dslr-systems
http://www.overclock.net/t/898709/for-new-dslr-users-a-beginners-guide
http://www.overclock.net/t/911216/for-new-dslr-users-a-slightly-more-advanced-guide

and this link is your best friend http://www.overclock.net/t/466505/photography-essentials

Bronica ETRSi, 75/2.8, 135/4
Minolta XD11, 28/2.8, 50/1.4
Canon 5DmkIII, 7D, 17-40/4L, 100/2.8 macro, 135/2L, 70-200/4L IS, 1.4X mkIII
YN-560II, YN-560III

flickr

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #5 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 75
i almost never leave without my D90. unfortunately i have been using it less lately but now that summer is rolling around im sure ill be going crazy again.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  50 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #6 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 60
I just started a month or so ago with my T3i and I love it, been using the typical 18-55mm kit lens and got myself a 55-250mm lens also_ I combine the two together on my trip to China and I love it. Although my photos are not near professional, they look damn good compare to a point and shoot. I've learn so much and learning more as I go. Starting to learn how to use the Manual mode and adjust a few settings here and there, but you got to start somewhere. Reading and Youtube videos really help with the learning process too.

I say, start out with a basic starter setup, a good starter Camera with good starter set of lens, get yourself a comfortable camera Bag ( I learn this quickly because carrying around everything can be a pain after a while ) Extra batteries ( I bought 2 extra cheap batteries off eBay, really good quality for the money ) Get a 16gb high quality Memory card(You'll need it, I filled mine up within 2 weeks of vacationing. Just shoot anything and everything that peaks your interest, you'll learn which settings you like best and which settings fit which ever picture your taking, its a fun learning process thumb.gif

A nice travel tripod will be good to carry around, I got tired of asking people to take photos for me and my wife and majority of people don't know how to properly aim and shoot a DSLR camera so our photos together didn't look very good ( most of them were tilted or too tilted mad.gif )

Everything cost me about 1200 dollars to startup =] and I never regretted it. Perhaps when my skills set gets better I'll be aiming to get me my first L-series lens smile.gif

The Overkill for me Intel Machine
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1732762
My Kickass AMD Machine =] kungfu.gif
Phenom II 955x4 @ 4.4ghz
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1812466

Curious to find out about the story behind OCN's community Usernames? Click Belowdrunken.gif
http://www.overclock.net/off-topic/1...name-mean.html

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #7 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 PM
333mhz

Liked: 2
Learn the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Practice practice practice. A lot of photo forums have great resources but there are also a ton of elitist snobs (esp wedding photogs) on those forums so don't take things too personally.

post #8 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 06:54 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 307
as everyone else have said already, take your camera everywhere with you. Hell you have a pana g10 which is tiny compared to a DSLR (you have EVIL btw).

the only other tips i can give you is get off of the greenbox and P mode. Shoot everything in A or S (aperture or shutter) with a set ISO and once you get understand the relationship between aperture and shutter then move to M.

Dont worry about composition (not saying ignore composition) and worry about getting a good exposure, i know this sounds counter intuitive but its far easier to learn from a well exposure and poorly framed picture then a well composed picture but have it not exposed at all. Everything learns photography on a trail and error basis so get the exposures right first.

camera.gif Sony α900/α200/Panasonic GX1/T17-35 F2.8-4/Z24-70 F2.8/M50 F1.4/M70-210 F4/F42AM/Samyang 85 F1.4/Samyang 14 F2.8/Panasonic 14-42/Panasonic 20/1.7camera.gif
post #9 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Liked: 115
Smart phone cameras are great for daily random photos, and much easier than lugging a dslr with you everywhere. Try taking a picture a day with your cell camera and then at least one day a week spend time with your real camera.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadk View Post

One thing that helps a lot is to do one of those picture a day challenges, like Project365 or something. First of all, you get kind of forced to bring your camera everywhere you go just in case you do find something interesting. It also just trains your eye to compose things into nice pictures and it could even help you with post processing since you may want to edit some of them. Just keep at it and it will pay off eventually; the more you do it, the better you'll become at it

This. Being comitted to project 365 is extremely hard if you have a job or are in school, but once you're done your photography and creativity skills will increase tenfold. It's going to make you take bad photos and force you to try new things.

Also, shoot RAW. Later down the road you will look back at your old photos and shake your head. Atleast give yourself a chance to try to fix those in the future tongue.gif

Fiio E10 / Sansa Clip+ RB > Sennheiser HD600 | Sennheiser HD558 | Ultimate Ears UE900 | Sennheiser IE80
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobergump go_quote.gif
Only thing I've broken by playing cs is the barrier to manhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbinator go_quote.gif

Last pair of Skullcandy anything I ever had lasted me all of two weeks and sounded like cats fighting in an aluminum garbage can.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page