post #2232 of 29551 Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Subaru fanboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
Not that it's too much to carry, but it's a matter of space and portability. I have four lenses which all fit in my bag (five if you count my 18-55mm non-IS and six when I get the 10-22mm), but I'm not sure if I will use all of them. I don't think I will use my macro lens because it takes time to stop and setup macro shots usually, and to save space/weight I will probably leave my 18-55mm IS at home too, that way I can carry money, passport, maps, etc. in my bag.

I also won't take my tripod because of space issues, although I'm thinking about getting a Gorillapod to take instead, which I might be able to cram in my bag. It's getting tight in the old camera bag, I wish I had the money to get a Lowepro Slingshot, but they're really overpriced.
I bought a Lowepro Fastpack 250 because I wanted to be able to hold a laptop/notebook/book at the same time as a body with telephoto lens, flash unit, hoods and batteries, and 2-3 other lenses. I got it for $50, but I can see how these bags can be overpriced.

I was thinking about a Gorillapod as well, either the Zoom or the SLR.

Certs:
A+
ACMT
Dell ASP; Desktop, Laptop, PowerConnect, PowerEdge, PowerVault

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #2233 of 29551 Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
What Were They Thinking?!

Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
I see... Why not take the macro instead the 50mm prime? The macro lens doubles as one right?

Those gorillapods are the ones ones that have small and flexible shafts where you can make it "grip" onto handrails and such right? If so, those are pretty sweet, especially for urban photography.

I still havent bought myself a camera bag, I'm using one not very appropriate for it, just to keep the camera safe.
Right, the 60mm can serve as a prime, but it's max aperture is f/2.8 whereas the the 50mm is f/1.4, which I will definitely need for poorly lit interiors. Plus it's my favorite lens, I can't not take it! I do love the 60mm though, I might take it anyway.

Yeah the Gorillapod is nifty. I have a small one which I use for my Canon SD1000, but I need the SLR version, which a bit larger and sturdier. But yeah, it will wrap around anything small enough - light pole, top of wall, etc.

I have the Lowepro Nova 3 AW, highly recommended. It's a top loading bag, squared-shaped with movable dividers inside. It holds the camera with lens attached, plus four other compact lenses or two other larger zoom lenses. I also am able to put the battery charger, CF card reader, manual and bulb blower in the main compartment. In the front pouch I have four filters and in the flap pouch I have the extra battery, remote and lens cloth. It's a perfect sized bag for walking around, especially since has an attached rain hood that folds into a zip pouch on the bottom. I love it, but I think I would like to try a Slingshot and see if that works better.

camera.gifOfficial OCN Camera Club | Photography Essentials Thread camera.gif

Canon 5D Mk II (35/1.4L | 24-70/2.8L | 135/2L | 430EX II | Gitzo G1125 + 494RC2)

flickr | Semper Fidelis

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2234 of 29551 Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
What Were They Thinking?!

Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post
I bought a Lowepro Fastpack 250 because I wanted to be able to hold a laptop/notebook/book at the same time as a body with telephoto lens, flash unit, hoods and batteries, and 2-3 other lenses. I got it for $50, but I can see how these bags can be overpriced.

I was thinking about a Gorillapod as well, either the Zoom or the SLR.
Yeah, and especially a full Fastpack is one expensive item to be toting around! But I can see how it would be necessary to have camera and laptop in one bag, esp. for a student.

I just like the Slingshot because it's a single strap backpack which loads from the side, so it can be swung around easily and accessed. But, it's like $100 for small one alone.

camera.gifOfficial OCN Camera Club | Photography Essentials Thread camera.gif

Canon 5D Mk II (35/1.4L | 24-70/2.8L | 135/2L | 430EX II | Gitzo G1125 + 494RC2)

flickr | Semper Fidelis

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #2235 of 29551 Old 02-20-2009, 02:07 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 259
Those Lowepro Slighshot's look really nice, I want one now. I have just average digital solutions bag I got for free with my camera. It's actually pretty good, I'll post a pic of it. But I'd like the slingshot 200

Anyways, I got some news guys. I am going on a Cruise, the Mexican Riviera on middle of April, right when it's warming to 80-90 Degree's. so it's not to hot. I plan to take my Nikon D40 and take as many shots as I can, (Or I'd like to sell it before I got and nab a D80, but I need to save for the cruise also, so I doubt that will happen)

So, I'm now wondering what lens will be the best solution. I have the 18-105mm VR that comes with the D90 that I bought a while back. It's a nice lens, and I've had it on almost the entire time since I got it. I've only used the 55-200 VR a few times the last month or so, But I'm wondering what my next purchase is, what's the next lens I should get.

I was thinking of getting the nikon 50mm Prime f/1.8 from B&H, but I then will have to manually focus. but thats ok I guess.

What would be a good lens to take for a cruise? although I plan to take my bag and just leave it in my room in the safe when not in use.

H20 Loop: Swiftech Apogee GTZ, Feser TFC360 RAD w/ 3 Scythe GT 1850's, MCP-655 D5 Vario, EK Multi-Option Res, Masterkleer 7/16 ID, DD "FatBoy" 1/2 Barbs, Killcoil & Distilled. 28c Idle, 39c Load, Danger Den GTX 480 Nickel+Copper Block. Google CR-48 biggrin.gif

Project HAF Water-Cooled Best Overclock, & There's More to Come http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=491589

camera.gifOfficial OCN Camera Club camera.gif |Nikon D40| |18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR||35mm f/1.8||55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR
post #2236 of 29551 Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
Right, the 60mm can serve as a prime, but it's max aperture is f/2.8 whereas the the 50mm is f/1.4, which I will definitely need for poorly lit interiors. Plus it's my favorite lens, I can't not take it! I do love the 60mm though, I might take it anyway.

Yeah the Gorillapod is nifty. I have a small one which I use for my Canon SD1000, but I need the SLR version, which a bit larger and sturdier. But yeah, it will wrap around anything small enough - light pole, top of wall, etc.

I have the Lowepro Nova 3 AW, highly recommended. It's a top loading bag, squared-shaped with movable dividers inside. It holds the camera with lens attached, plus four other compact lenses or two other larger zoom lenses. I also am able to put the battery charger, CF card reader, manual and bulb blower in the main compartment. In the front pouch I have four filters and in the flap pouch I have the extra battery, remote and lens cloth. It's a perfect sized bag for walking around, especially since has an attached rain hood that folds into a zip pouch on the bottom. I love it, but I think I would like to try a Slingshot and see if that works better.
Can't stay away from the sweetness of the macro photography?

Going to take the opportunity to show a HDR "macro" (If this can be called macro ) taken with my 18-55mm IS at my Logitech V500.

For non macro lenses these sure can get pretty close, especially at 55mm.

And I'm REALLY thinking if I should first get the Sigma 10-20mm or the EF-S 60mm macro... I should be able to buy either one or the other by the end of this month.

Build Logs under way
紅白 [Kōhaku] - UPDATED 02 Jan 2014 (In hiatus until moar funds ...)
円相 [Ensō] - UPDATED 17 Jul 2014

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #2237 of 29551 Old 02-20-2009, 05:43 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 82
Alright, while I wait for a mod to delete my previous post, here's a better pic...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Never hold a dust buster and a cat at the same time
How manually restore system registry windows
How see security tab my windows XP Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydyboyd go_quote.gif
Today, I saw that my ironing board cover was wrinkled. I laughed at the irony. Then I laughed again because irony has the word iron in it.
post #2238 of 29551 Old 02-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Hipstersaurus Rex

Liked: 1012
Did you use Photoshop to create the HDR?

Sinar F | Toyo 45CF (Rodenstock Grandagon-N 75mm f/4.5| Rodenstock Sironar-N 135mm f/5.6 | Nikkor-W 180mm f/5.6) | Profoto Acute2 1200w (2xD4)

OCN Team Fortress 2 Group
|How Marin got her new mouse!|Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Click Otaku|Happy Hacking Professional 2
post #2239 of 29551 Old 02-20-2009, 05:49 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 82
No Photomatix. Photoshop scares me lol

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Never hold a dust buster and a cat at the same time
How manually restore system registry windows
How see security tab my windows XP Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydyboyd go_quote.gif
Today, I saw that my ironing board cover was wrinkled. I laughed at the irony. Then I laughed again because irony has the word iron in it.
post #2240 of 29551 Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Hipstersaurus Rex

Liked: 1012
Did you use a P&S? Mine did the weird coloring when I tried to create HDR's.

Sinar F | Toyo 45CF (Rodenstock Grandagon-N 75mm f/4.5| Rodenstock Sironar-N 135mm f/5.6 | Nikkor-W 180mm f/5.6) | Profoto Acute2 1200w (2xD4)

OCN Team Fortress 2 Group
|How Marin got her new mouse!|Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Click Otaku|Happy Hacking Professional 2

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page