I finally got to try out my equipment at a real race this past weekend at Auto Club Speedway. Both the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and Nationwide Series were in town and armed with my hot pass, T2i, 50mm 1.4, and 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS I was looking forward to getting some decent shots.
It ended up being a great weekend. Got to go go-karting with my friend and Sprint Cup driver Landon Cassill and also got to meet Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Saturday, who invited some friends and I into his hauler for a half hour or so.
As for the photos, it was a challenge. The sun kept going behind clouds, making correct exposure a bit of a hassle. It was also my first time trying some panning shots and the cars were approaching 200 MPH when they went by me, so it took some getting used to. I posted some of my better Sprint Cup shots, and a couple others that i liked, with more to come as I still have hundreds to sort through. Hope you all enjoy!
1) Landon Cassill in his #09 car during practice.
2) Landon waiting on pit road during practice.
3) Mark Martin taking his qualifying run. The green on this car is stunning in person.
4) Dale Earnhardt Jr. making a race run in final practice.
5) Tony Stewart making his final practice run.
6) Playing around with the 50mm in the garage.