Purchasing a PS3 still pays off? - Page 4 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 PM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I bought a PS3 solely for blue-ray and to play a few exclusive. And I did fold on it during the folding competition ! biggrin.gif

But for now, apart from blue ray movies, it does not get much used. Mostly play PC and some xbox 360. If money is tight, I won't bother unless you like the PS3 exclusive game library.

Registry Hack Information

Have a laugh (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcarl go_quote.gif
I keep it long and hole facing me, or does it not matter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker go_quote.gif
I have nothing of value to add to this thread, accept that I read this title as "Anus Transformer" and was prepared to infract you.

lol

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 AM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 69
I would say yes if you have plans to use it a lot and if you can get it for a good price. Luckily I was able to get one on OCN for $155 shipped.
post #33 of 48 Old 03-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Case Modder

Liked: 110
They don't call us the glorious PC master race for nothing.....

if there are games you can play on your PSX/PS2 that you're willing to invest into on a PS3, you need the Emotion Engine in order to play them, as some of the code work that's been done has been directly cropped from emulators such as ePSX or ePSX2, ported emulators for Windows PCs.

Little to no doubt that you'd be able to find the emulators, and stable BIOS online, but I'm not advocating that you do so, unless you've got the resources readily available to be able to fortify the need to receive them on your system. (i.e. - own an actual system needed to claim rights to PC use, plus games, etc.). Otherwise, you're in breach of fair use contracts, and would have no exclusivity to such a thing.

Buy a PS3, but make sure you're getting one that predates slim-line based models, and beyond that, came from the first generation run of the systems. If not, you face not being able to use the systems for the desired outcome, and not only that, but the actual game list is as restricted on PS3s as compared to the playable list from the original Xbox to the X360, because there isn't hardware to ensure you'll be able to use it. They omitted that gear after they started into the newer generations of systems to save on production costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica go_quote.gif
OCN is awesome. There are no losers on OCN. Just people with lesser or greater degrees of awesomeness.
“All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.” -Bruce Lee

http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/4032887
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 AM
Case Modder

Liked: 115
Worst advice ever. Get a slim or nothing. The fat ones will die eventually, they all do.

The ps3 game collection is huuuuuuuuge and very cheap. Buying a ps3 to play ps2 games is not smart. Just get a used ps2 for 30 euros. All ps3s play ps1 games.

Chimp Challenge Participant  1 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant 

post #35 of 48 Old 03-31-2012, 03:17 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 4
buying a PS3 is only justified by one thing, getting Granturismo5 as well smile.gif
thats a masterpiece

post #36 of 48 Old 03-31-2012, 03:28 AM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukkel View Post

Worst advice ever. Get a slim or nothing. The fat ones will die eventually, they all do.
The ps3 game collection is huuuuuuuuge and very cheap. Buying a ps3 to play ps2 games is not smart. Just get a used ps2 for 30 euros. All ps3s play ps1 games.

Correction. The launch models do. Original fat's with 4 USB ports. The fat's that only have 2 USB ports and no card reader are very well built/reliable. They have the smaller Cell chip. I own and operate 2.
Have so for years wink.gif

I am a Long Time Computer Hobbyist and a Casual and Retro Single Player PC and Console Gamer
(Steam: Captain318) (PSN: Captain_318) (XBL: Captain318)
post #37 of 48 Old 03-31-2012, 03:38 AM

Liked: 73
Just play the ps1, games were way better anyways thumb.gif

post #38 of 48 Old 03-31-2012, 03:47 AM

Liked: 0
PS3's are awesome. I recently bought mine from Best Buy during Black Friday for USD $200 and it came with Ratchet and Clank All 4 One and Little Big Planet 2. I agree with all of the people above me about the exclusives, especially Gran Turismo 5 and the Uncharted Series. However, the sole reason I really got a PS3 was for Kingdom Hearts 3 (which hopefully will be released soon...). I just picked up a couple other games along the way and it was still worth it. And about concerning the PS4, I wouldn't sweat it until another 2 years. PS3 still has awesome games constantly releasing as well as perfectly fine graphics, if that matters to you of course. I'm also running a 22' TV which has 1080p and it still looks amazing. Nothing a HDMI cable can't fix.
post #39 of 48 Old 03-31-2012, 03:55 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 6
Whether it's worth it or not depends on YOU.

For me, it went like this:

- $200 for a 160GB model + 2 games -- That's a start.
- Blu-ray player -- Haven't used it for this purpose yet, but I do have a backlog of blu-rays from sales (i.e. anime, movies)
- Dark Souls -- was fun until SL120 PvP got boring; made a twink afterwards for 1v3's, and that got boring too!
- Bigger playerbase for SF4 (360 has more, but I'm not going to pay for a subscription that I'm not going to make full use out of) -- lag + realizing that the game wasn't 3S (<3 parries, <3 jumping in) = shot down rather quick.

^ Initial reasons for my purchase.

Nowadays, it's more like playing fighters (e.g. KOF XIII, SC5, 3SOE) and a few other non-PC games, like FFXIII-2 (which I'll be sniping pretty shortly, thanks to an upcoming deal from a major store + coupon ^^).

Worthy investment for $200? For me: easily, even after the fact that I've already played a decent amount of PS3 games before my purchase (e.g. MGS4, DMC4 -- had to get my own PS3 since my bro still wants his).

"If you ain't first you're last."

thumb.gif
post #40 of 48 Old 03-31-2012, 04:25 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 145
Heavy rain, unchArted, and Mgs are some of the best games out there. Pair that with a blu ray player and streaming device and it's all WIN!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page