post #21 of 24 Old 03-04-2013, 12:02 PM
nVidia Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnafakeef View Post

Thank you for the detailed reply. I really appreciate you taking the time for it.

i) How much space does each game occupy on the hard drive? Or rather, how many games will I be able to store on a 250GB drive? Is it worth getting the 500GB version over the 250GB one?
ii) I'm worried about PAL vs NTSC because I'm going to play on my PC monitor. It supports 1080p resolution, but I'm not sure whether it supports HDCP or not, which is required according to Disturbed117. Do you know of any disadvantages of playing on a monitor instead of on a TV?
iii) I've heard from someone that games can be played without installing on the hard drive, that is directly from the disc itself. If this is true, wouldn't it make the larger hard drives unnecessary?
iv) Would buying the system with a game bundle like the GoW Ascension bundle save me more money, or would buying the system separately from the games save me more?

Thanks a lot! smile.gif

Honestly how much are you ACTUALLY going tp play it? From my own experiences a lot of the games (Id say about 80%) require a full or partial install. If you plan to play a huge variety of games it may be worth it to go with the 500gb off the bat since those installs and digital downloads, and demos add up. But keep in mind the PS3 is pretty open so you can toss a bigger hard drive in there at anytime and it doesn't have to be Sony branded.

"Yeah my gf is like Minecraft, at first look what u see on the surface isnt really appealing. But after a little digging you hit diamonds and keep playing forever <3"

--Fullmetalaj0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 PM

Liked: 3
no worries man, I usually am you, i.e. the one with the 1000 inane questions...

1. Each game is different.. some games ONLY store you game saves onto the ps3.. i.e. your game save points(each time you make a save) those files are usually pretty small..

while OTHERs (as said before) install larger data on the game to hopefully improve load times.. in addition to your game saves..

So all games are different and there really is no way to know until you actully get the game..

Also if you look on the back of the box of the game, it will tell you how much HDD is required, it will say how much HDD this particular game requires.

Example: Look at the back of Farcry 3, it requires 3.5GB of HDD MINIMUM!!

250gb v/s 500gb would then be up to you.. 250gb is ALOt, I think that would hold you down for like 2-3 years.. and if you run out you can always install your own HDD into the ps3.. So I would probably say go with the 250gb version, UNLESS the 500gb is not that much more..

2. The only advantage of using HDTV v/s a monitor is that with the HDTV you are guaranteed that it will work..since all HDTV's support 60hz and above.. whereas with the monitor, well you would have to find out if it supports HDCP or not.. you may need to contact the manufacturer if google cannot resolve for you..

3. YES, that is true.. but NOT true for all games.. SOME games require a HDD installation.. see my example above.. Farcry 3 is an awesome game but as you see from the game package, IT DOES require a HDD installation.. 3.5gb's minimum to be exact..

4. hehe, depends on the prices you see.. for example in America, the GoW Collections game is going for about $40 american right now..

As far as the Game System PS3 bundles.. for example the 250gb Infamous PS3 Bundle is $230 right now at Bestbuy.com whereas at the same store a 160gb Ps3 game system is $300, so in this case yes, the bundle would save you $$$ but not sure how that is gon be where you stay at..

check it out: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PlayStation-3-PS3/PlayStation-3-PS3-Hardware-Console/abcat0703001.c?id=abcat0703001

hope this helps!

oNe
ahnafakeef likes this.
post #23 of 24 Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmetalaj0 View Post

Honestly how much are you ACTUALLY going tp play it? From my own experiences a lot of the games (Id say about 80%) require a full or partial install. If you plan to play a huge variety of games it may be worth it to go with the 500gb off the bat since those installs and digital downloads, and demos add up. But keep in mind the PS3 is pretty open so you can toss a bigger hard drive in there at anytime and it doesn't have to be Sony branded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phabeon View Post

no worries man, I usually am you, i.e. the one with the 1000 inane questions...

1. Each game is different.. some games ONLY store you game saves onto the ps3.. i.e. your game save points(each time you make a save) those files are usually pretty small..

while OTHERs (as said before) install larger data on the game to hopefully improve load times.. in addition to your game saves..

So all games are different and there really is no way to know until you actully get the game..

Also if you look on the back of the box of the game, it will tell you how much HDD is required, it will say how much HDD this particular game requires.

Example: Look at the back of Farcry 3, it requires 3.5GB of HDD MINIMUM!!

250gb v/s 500gb would then be up to you.. 250gb is ALOt, I think that would hold you down for like 2-3 years.. and if you run out you can always install your own HDD into the ps3.. So I would probably say go with the 250gb version, UNLESS the 500gb is not that much more..

2. The only advantage of using HDTV v/s a monitor is that with the HDTV you are guaranteed that it will work..since all HDTV's support 60hz and above.. whereas with the monitor, well you would have to find out if it supports HDCP or not.. you may need to contact the manufacturer if google cannot resolve for you..

3. YES, that is true.. but NOT true for all games.. SOME games require a HDD installation.. see my example above.. Farcry 3 is an awesome game but as you see from the game package, IT DOES require a HDD installation.. 3.5gb's minimum to be exact..

4. hehe, depends on the prices you see.. for example in America, the GoW Collections game is going for about $40 american right now..

As far as the Game System PS3 bundles.. for example the 250gb Infamous PS3 Bundle is $230 right now at Bestbuy.com whereas at the same store a 160gb Ps3 game system is $300, so in this case yes, the bundle would save you $$$ but not sure how that is gon be where you stay at..

check it out: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PlayStation-3-PS3/PlayStation-3-PS3-Hardware-Console/abcat0703001.c?id=abcat0703001

hope this helps!

oNe

Seems like 250GB should be more than enough for playing just the exclusives. Thanks a lot for the input. I'll post back in this thread if I have more questions. smile.gif

Who cares what they say about "overkill" on 1080P monitors. If min. frames rates are anywhere less than 60FPS at max settings, it's not overkill! biggrin.gif - i7monkey

Helpful threads and people (Click to show)
1. Consult and post in OCN's Most Recommended Audio Products for help with audio products
2. Consult and post in Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide for help with overclocking your Ivy CPU
3. Contact Adam Simmons of PCMonitors for advice on monitors
4. Contact OccamRazor for advice on GPUs
5. Contact Shilka for advice on PSUs
6. Contact DaveLT for advice on air-cooling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Misogamist

Liked: 982
I will have a God of war red PS3 here tomorrow (super slim)

My son has the slim for the past few years

Basically the super slim has better and quiter fans and a mechanical bluray instead of slot loading

I chose the super slim due to the god of war games and the price of $350 with 500 gig hd vs a slim of $279 with 320 gig hd and no free games.

3770k@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/0lv27p
8350@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/rgh5nk
4670k@4.4 http://valid.x86.fr/swavhi
8310@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/3nxlhi
Asus G75vw http://valid.x86.fr/tdt7t7
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r go_quote.gif

Also, we're discussing intel because it seems like there's no way to enforce pure-AMD build threads in this forum. It should be renamed the 'you really want intel instead' forum.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page