Power Supply fan facing up or down - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If I have a case with power supply on the bottom and a vent on the bottom of the case as well, does it matter which way the fan is facing? I've done it facing down always and never had a problem. However my manager says it should be facing up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Your manager doesn't know what he or she is talking about. redface.gif

It should be facing down because the fan is an intake fan and therefore it pulls in the cool air from underneath the case through that vent, and it pushes it out the back.

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #3 of 39 Old 07-20-2011, 05:03 PM
RHCSA

Liked: 380
it doesn't really matter, but facing down just makes it pull it cool air from outside the case.
I have mine facing down only because that puts my cables all coming out right next to the cable management hole. It also makes the sticker on the back of the supply face the right direction.

Funny junk (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiber go_quote.gif
If you watch Jaws in reverse, it's about this shark that throws up so many people they had to open a beach because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif
I'm finally watching the video. Presently, I'm at 1:18 into the video and all I'm thinking is "this is a pre-built; it is supposed to be slow".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 07-20-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;14286472 
Your manager doesn't know what he or she is talking about. redface.gif

It should be facing down because the fan is an intake fan and therefore it pulls in the cool air from underneath the case through that vent, and it pushes it out the back.

Thank you. I had him and an employee get on me for installing it facing down for a customer.
post #5 of 39 Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 105
If your case is sitting on carpet then it should face up because carpet will block most of the air. Otherwise face it down.
post #6 of 39 Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBKreeme;14286504 
Thank you. I had him and an employee get on me for installing it facing down for a customer.
lol! I'm not surprised. It seems like every single time I hear about something someone said who is not an OCN member but just some person out in the world somewhere, they always turn out to be wrong.

If they insist that we are wrong, then ask them to tell you which side of a fan is intake: the open side, or the side that has those 4 'bars'. If they don't know, then you can point out to them that the intake side of a fan is always the open side (the side where there's nothing between you and the fan blades).

After that, have them study the fan inside the PSU and ask them to tell you which side is facing up: the open side, or that side with the 4 'bars' (there should be a normal fan in there).

If they still don't believe you, then tell them to just get out of your way and let you do your job.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #7 of 39 Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Am*
4.0ghz

Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBKreeme;14286431 
If I have a case with power supply on the bottom and a vent on the bottom of the case as well, does it matter which way the fan is facing? I've done it facing down always and never had a problem. However my manager says it should be facing up

Since you said it has a vent on the bottom and it's mounted at the bottom, definitely have it as an intake. Just be sure that there's some sort of dust filter covering the PSU, I lost my last PSU thanks to dust build-up.
post #8 of 39 Old 07-20-2011, 05:14 PM
RHCSA

Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;14286584 
If they insist that we are wrong, then ask them to tell you which side of a fan is intake: the open side, or the side that has those 4 'bars'. If they don't know, then you can point out to them that the intake side of a fan is always the open side (the side where there's nothing between you and the fan blades).

that is always 100% true. I have a fan down stairs that intakes from the closed side, and exhausts from the open side, I was like confused.gif when I first turned it on. I would also like to say that the fan is a 120v fan, not a normal computer 12v fan.

Funny junk (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiber go_quote.gif
If you watch Jaws in reverse, it's about this shark that throws up so many people they had to open a beach because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif
I'm finally watching the video. Presently, I'm at 1:18 into the video and all I'm thinking is "this is a pre-built; it is supposed to be slow".
post #9 of 39 Old 07-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwadeson;14286556 
If your case is sitting on carpet then it should face up because carpet will block most of the air. Otherwise face it down.

Then they should do what I did, here's one of my computers:

picture.php?albumid=3818&pictureid=21854

now they can face the PSU fan down with no worries.smile.gif

The first rule of great customer service is: GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT WITH URGENCY AND MAKE THEM FEEL VALUED!

The second rule of great customer service is: FIRST LEARN THE FIRST RULE!

post #10 of 39 Old 07-20-2011, 05:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;14286648 
that is always 100% true. I have a fan down stairs that intakes from the closed side, and exhausts from the open side, I was like confused.gif when I first turned it on. I would also like to say that the fan is a 120v fan, not a normal computer 12v fan.
That's why.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page