PSU Upgrade - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 15 Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
External VRM FTW!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I am currently working on my masters in computer engineering from a highly ranked engineering school (Maseeh College of Engineering & Computer Science). I have taken some graduate level power design classes, and we are thought to follow manufacture specifications. Most transistor manufactures recommend less than 70% utilization for long component life. Granted, the regulation work I have done is nowhere close to the amperage of aforementioned computer power supplies. I personally believe it/s common sense not to purchase components that will be operating at 100% utilization.

Some Interesting Things (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecdm go_quote.gif

Dice with a slim is a bad time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllrkllr88 View Post

I am currently working on my masters in computer engineering from a highly ranked engineering school (Maseeh College of Engineering & Computer Science). I have taken some graduate level power design classes, and we are thought to follow manufacture specifications. Most transistor manufactures recommend less than 70% utilization for long component life. Granted, the regulation work I have done is nowhere close to the amperage of aforementioned computer power supplies. I personally believe it/s common sense not to purchase components that will be operating at 100% utilization.

These power supplies are rated for continuous output, and warrantied so... most of the high ends come with massive power reserves and thus are underrated, for efficiency and electrical performance reasons... you're nowhere near the actual rating limit of the components used when buying a good power supply and keeping it inside specifications(that means 100% load too) wink.gif

"I had a stroke of luck with money this afternoon tho. 1 of my parrots had a baby, so that's an extra $400." - james990
post #13 of 15 Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Crawling to My Glass Prison

Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesoblanco View Post

Ya but that's another 30 dollars +tax that he doesnt need to spend

I simply disagree. Your suggestion is a good one, but in my opinion, the Capstone is worth the extra money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllrkllr88 View Post

Wow, so many responses for power supplies, thanks everyone!
I read a while ago that its a good idea to stay below 70% of the PSU rating. Most of you guys are suggesting I 100%?

As stated above, a quality PSU can safely output 100% of its rated capacity for years. You needn't buy a larger PSU than is necessary for your system just to keep it running solidly over time. You just need to buy a good quality unit and you'll be fine. For further discussion of this, please look here: http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/872013-50-load-myth.html

Reason. Purpose. Self Esteem.
My Little Pony: Overclocking is Magic!
XBox Live Gamertag: Kremtok

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 PM
1.7ghz

Liked: 59
ya, the capstones have great performance, great price and are very quiet under load. only real drawback is the fixed cabling system :C
post #15 of 15 Old 03-09-2012, 01:35 AM

Liked: 196

[quote name="kremtok" url="/t/1226582/psu-upgrade/10#post_16666394"] I simply disagree. Your suggestion is a good one, but in my opinion, the Capstone is worth the extra money. As stated above, a quality PSU can safely output 100% of its rated capacity for years. You needn't buy a larger PSU than is necessary for your system just to keep it running solidly over time. You just need to buy a good quality unit and you'll be fine. For further discussion of this, please look here: http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/872013-50-load-myth.html[/quote]

Then if were gonna spend an extra 30 bucks for no reason. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182132 plus its modular and more power.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page