Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey
I've just noticed that my PSU makes a weird sound all the time, I don't think its the fan because when I cover it, the sound quitens down in the sense that the fan isn't clicking. When I listen to it from the back I can hear the buzzing coming from inside the PSU. I thibk it may be coil whine but its really loud and annoyying as its the loudest thing in my PC. Do you guys have any ideas on what it could be/how to resolve it. Its only around 10 months old. I'll add a video when I get back from college.
I am considering an RMA but there's a charge if it turns out nothings wrong so I would appreciate any input/advice.
Thanks in advance.

The videos:

MY GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD LLC GUIDE:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
i'll try to make it easy for you to understand, i'll be using two terms which helped me understand it too
Vdroop - voltage drops under load
Vgain - voltage increases under load

Disabled - BOTH Vdroop and Vdrop are on full; vdrop is a motherboard system which lowers all voltages on the board
Level 1 - FULL Vdroop is on but Vdrop is turned off (think of this as being 100% of the Vdroop on)
Level 2 - 75% Vdroop
Level 3 - 50% Vdroop
Level 4 - 25% Vdroop
Level 5 - 0% Vdroop and 0% Vgain (voltage stays mopre or less constant, i say this because it does fluctuate a tiny bit)
Level 6 - 25% Vgain
Level 7 - 50% Vgain
and so on.....
so levels 1-4 Vdroop but the higher the number the less it droops
level 5 more or less constant
levels 6-11 Vgain, the higher the number the more it gains

Chimp Challenge Participant  4 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM

Liked: 288
Sometimes coil noise just goes away... there's little you can do about it without voiding your warranty(and even then it's a long shot).... put some stress on the PSU, heat it up a bit, see if there's a change.

"I had a stroke of luck with money this afternoon tho. 1 of my parrots had a baby, so that's an extra $400." - james990
post #3 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM

Liked: 170
If you have a glue gun you could isolate which inductor was buzzing and chuck some glue on it. This stops the windings from vibrating against the core.

Not knowing stuff is fine, but don't regurgitate stuff someone else has said and pretend you understand it.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Liked: 27
I fold almost 24/7 or game when I'm not and the noise is always there, if anything it gets louder and becomes a more 'clunky' sound
Thanks for the suggestion but it seems too invasive, especially since its still under warranty
I'll upload the vids in a little while so you can get a better idea of what I'm on about
Thanks for the replies

EDIT: I just added the videos to the OP, one with just the PSU on and one with the whole system on while folding
Thanks for the input!

MY GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD LLC GUIDE:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
i'll try to make it easy for you to understand, i'll be using two terms which helped me understand it too
Vdroop - voltage drops under load
Vgain - voltage increases under load

Disabled - BOTH Vdroop and Vdrop are on full; vdrop is a motherboard system which lowers all voltages on the board
Level 1 - FULL Vdroop is on but Vdrop is turned off (think of this as being 100% of the Vdroop on)
Level 2 - 75% Vdroop
Level 3 - 50% Vdroop
Level 4 - 25% Vdroop
Level 5 - 0% Vdroop and 0% Vgain (voltage stays mopre or less constant, i say this because it does fluctuate a tiny bit)
Level 6 - 25% Vgain
Level 7 - 50% Vgain
and so on.....
so levels 1-4 Vdroop but the higher the number the less it droops
level 5 more or less constant
levels 6-11 Vgain, the higher the number the more it gains

Chimp Challenge Participant  4 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page