Need advise for PSU on new build - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm currently gathering components for my new build. And I just need a GPU and PSU to complete it. The rest of the system:

ASROCK Z77 extreme4
i5 3570K (with mild 24/7 OC probably. Maybe 4.5GHz)
8GB RAM
1 SSD
4 HDD

for the GPU I'm looking into 7850 or 7870.

I tried a couple power calc including the one from this forum. All lead to different figures but about 3,400. For safe, I think I should go for 500+W. For future proof, I'm thinking 500~600W Am I in the right track?

Oh, and I really want modular.

Also, I see the corsair TX650 is now only $50 and the Antec HCG-750 is now only $55. Overkill I know, but both are 80 bronze and the price.....seems too good to pass. :no-smilIt's even cheaper than some Sub-500W 80Plus PSUs..... I really need some advise.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
HCG 750. Great PSU for the price though I would go with a Corsair PSU because of their customer service. To me, those extra few bucks is worth it when you need it.

Only fools do not BACKUP their DATA!.
"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of expertise."
-
looniam ~ there's only one thing left to do:sacrifice a chicken to call upon the great Lord Xeb
post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by afya View Post

I'm currently gathering components for my new build. And I just need a GPU and PSU to complete it. The rest of the system:
ASROCK Z77 extreme4
8GB RAM
1 SSD
4 HDD
for the GPU I'm looking into 7850 or 7870.
I tried a couple power calc including the one from this forum. All lead to different figures but about 3,400. For safe, I think I should go for 500+W. For future proof, I'm thinking 500~600W Am I in the right track?
Oh, and I really want modular.
Also, I see the corsair TX650 is now only $50 and the Antec HCG-750 is now only $55. Overkill I know, but both are 80 bronze and the price.....seems too good to pass. :no-smilIt's even cheaper than some Sub-500W 80Plus PSUs..... I really need some advise.....

If you went with the 7870, then all that you'd need is a quality-made 400W power supply:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_hd_7850_and_7870_review,7.html

With one 7870 under full load in their system, their PSU pulled 274W from the wall outlet.  Their CPU was idling, so we should add about 150W for an overclocked 3570K under full load.  This makes the PSU pulling 424W from the wall outlet.  So, if the PSU were 85% efficient while pulling 424W from the wall outlet, then that means the system is pulling 360W from the PSU.

If you were to ever add a 2nd 7870, then that would only require a quality-made 450W PSU.  One 7870 by itself pulls 127W from the power supply under full load.  In Crossfire, the secondary card would only ever pull about half that, which means the total power consumption between the two cards would be about 192W because half of 127 is 63.5.  If I just say it would be 75W on top of 127W, then that changes 274W into 349W.  If I round that up to 350W and then add 150W for the CPU, that makes the power supply pulling 500W from the wall outlet.  If the PSU is 85% efficient while pulling 500W from the wall outlet, then that means the system is pulling 425W from the PSU.

Therefore, future-proofing can be done by buying a quality-made ~550W power supply.  ;)

I want to make a list of power supplies, but I have one question:  will you ever have more than one video card?

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

I want to make a list of power supplies, but I have one question:  will you ever have more than one video card?

Although I think newer single card is usually better than 2 older cards, I won't eliminate the chance of buying another card in the future because buying is usually easier than selling....

However, that won't happen any sooner than 2 years I believe.

post #5 of 6 Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:

Although I think newer single card is usually better than 2 older cards, I won't eliminate the chance of buying another card in the future because buying is usually easier than selling....
However, that won't happen any sooner than 2 years I believe.

How much can you spend on a power supply right now?

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #6 of 6 Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:

That's not mild OC. These CPUs can reasonably expect to be OC to about 4.3 GHz. (2500k can do about 4.4-4.5 ivy bridge is more efficient per clock thus they are equally fast.)
Quote:
4 HDD
Ouch, it should have proper 5 V line.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page