Why you should not buy a Corsair CX430/500/600 - Page 16 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 230 Old 08-10-2014, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 305
To be honest I think the Corsair CX are average, they're not terrible, and they're not great.
You can overclock on them but it really depends on the components you're using and how much power you're pulling with it.
It would probably be just fine for mid-range systems, but if you've got high-end components like an R9 290 or a 780 you may want something better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 230 Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 AM
I hate portals

Liked: 326
Bought the CX600 (480W on the 12V line) since release cause it was the cheapest one (where I live) with two PCI-E connectors and it powered a PII 965 / 5870 for over three years. It's still working nicely.

It didn't allow for much OCs on a GTX580 but I think that was more due to the low output rather than shoddy caps.

NA & Europe get a lot of other options but that's not always the case in the rest of the world (unless you pay a premium to get it shipped).

RAIL Does Not Mean POWER.

Look up this Database before buying a PSU.

post-flame-small.gif_.=5 GHz Overclock Club=._post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif_. I <3 Mechanical Keyboard._ post-flame-small.gif
post #153 of 230 Old 08-10-2014, 08:04 PM

Liked: 29
The OP should include transient and hold-up tests where it pretty much fails.
While ripple and voltage regulations are pretty good on this PSU.
TopicClocker likes this.

Xeon X5650 6C/12T @ 4.3Ghz 1.28v | Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME | 212EVO | Tactical DDR3 12GB @ 1950Mhz 8-8-8-24 1T | SMG 840 EVO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 230 Old 08-11-2014, 02:03 AM

Liked: 1
Hahaha
post #155 of 230 Old 11-25-2014, 05:38 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmOgER View Post

The OP should include transient and hold-up tests where it pretty much fails.
While ripple and voltage regulations are pretty good on this PSU.
Pretty sure this isn't necroing on my part. But seeing your post made me remember something.

A truck hit a power line not too long ago and it affected both of our apartments. Our apartments run from the same source, our apartments are even interlinked geographically. Anyway, his system kicked off and mine didn't. I forget what PSU he has, but it's some cheap little turd. It's fine for the i3 and GT 640 he's running. But it really impressed me about my unit that it stayed on even though all the lights, my microwave, and monitor (essentially everything in my apartment) flickered for a second.
post #156 of 230 Old 11-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 66
Send a message via MSN to fido Send a message via Skype™ to fido
post #157 of 230 Old 11-29-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 2696
The OP has been tweaked and updated with more info

post #158 of 230 Old 11-29-2014, 10:58 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 60
IDK man... some of it I agree with, and a lot of it I don't. We can all agree that it is not a great PSU. But what makes it great is how affordable it is. This thing is cheap! $35-$40 is what you pay for a CX600M and you get an average PSU that will last you a couple years. Its not a long term solution by any means, but considering the cost, if you have to go with a CX PSU to fit something more important into your build like an SSD or the next step up GPU, then you should go with a CX. There is nothing majorly wrong with the PSU. It works and it will power your system, even a moderately high end one.

I used the CX600M with an i5-4670k + GTX780, a higher end system that most people who not think of pairing the CX series PSUs with. But the fact of the matter is, if I had went with a different PSU, that is held in higher regard than I wouldn't have been able to afford an SSD. I was able to hit 4.7Ghz @ 1.275v on my CPU and +100Mhz Core, +250Mhz Memory on my GPU without adding extra voltage. When I upgraded to an EVGA SuperNOVA G2, I was getting the same exact results. I am damn happy that I bought a CX and those who own one should not be shamed into thinking it is a bad PSU.
It is still rocking in my friend's i5-4440 / R9 280 build and he has no issues.

I just don't think all of this hatred is warranted and no one should feel bad about owning this PSU.

The secret to success in life is a large penis.
post #159 of 230 Old 11-29-2014, 11:05 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 220
'Hatred' and 'Feeling Bad' are not what we are saying. This unit has lower end components that aren't made of the same quality that you might see in something like a quality Seasonic or Super Flower unit. The point of this thread is to try to show people that the CX isn't this awesome series that can handle anything. There is a reason why it costs that little.
post #160 of 230 Old 11-29-2014, 11:17 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

'Hatred' and 'Feeling Bad' are not what we are saying. This unit has lower end components that aren't made of the same quality that you might see in something like a quality Seasonic or Super Flower unit. The point of this thread is to try to show people that the CX isn't this awesome series that can handle anything. There is a reason why it costs that little.

Just because it has lower quality components, doesn't mean it is not capable of powering and overclocking relatively high end builds.

The secret to success in life is a large penis.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page