Swapping 4+4pin 12v rail caused computer to freeze? - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 PM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 76
However you switch them up, unless the PSU has multiple rails or something, it would not cause a problem. That was how my 2 6850's were originally plugged in.

You just stated that plugging in one card showed no problems for 2 days, but swapping to the 2nd card showed issues? Or were they both fine?

If plugging the 2nd card in caused issues, that does sound a little like one of the cards is the culprit, as one card at a time shows stable. I don't know anything about mining, so I don't know the type of wear and tear it causes on cards and the problems that can arise from that. I have however heard of cards tearing up after being ran at full load constantly for long periods.

You also said that bringing over your old files from crypto mining began showing signs of instability, sounds like that may be a good place to investigate.

Another thought, introducing the new CPU may have put your PSU over load capacity with the 280X's.

EDIT: Go with TwoCables' suggestion firstly. "clean" is always the best method. Plug each of the 6+2 connectors from one cable into one card only. One each GPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMattes View Post

Sounds good I guess I will give it a go.. and if it locks up again.. What then?

If anything is still overclocked, even slightly, then I'd go to 100% stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrto View Post

However you switch them up, unless the PSU has multiple rails or something, it would not cause a problem. That was how my 2 6850's were originally plugged in.

You just stated that plugging in one card showed no problems for 2 days, but swapping to the 2nd card showed issues? Or were they both fine?

If plugging the 2nd card in caused issues, that does sound a little like one of the cards is the culprit, as one card at a time shows stable. I don't know anything about mining, so I don't know the type of wear and tear it causes on cards and the problems that can arise from that. I have however heard of cards tearing up after being ran at full load constantly for long periods.

You also said that bringing over your old files from crypto mining began showing signs of instability, sounds like that may be a good place to investigate.

Another thought, introducing the new CPU may have put your PSU over load capacity with the 280X's.

EDIT: Go with TwoCables' suggestion firstly. "clean" is always the best method. Plug each of the 6+2 connectors from one cable into one card only. One each GPU.

That PSU is major overkill here.

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #13 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 08:47 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 26
Does the motherboard happen to have a seperate power plug for extra PCI-E power? What motherboard are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_nuke_em go_quote.gif

So does that mean the ice age was really just a LN2 suicide run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Liked: 74
Gigabyte Z87 UD3H Link

On full load with an overclock I think the 280x runs around 250w each.. I had a killawatt meter on at one time and I dont recall it going over 700w maybe it wasnt even over 600w.. but it wasnt an issue as the 4770k is less than the 2700k I had..

I never had a chance to "test" the second card on teh 3rd pci-e.. I was just getting there and it has only be running for 4 hours maybe..

I put them both back on and will give it a go.. See what happens...

Laundromatic - Feb 2012 TC Champs!
Laundromatic - July 2012 TC Champs!
post #15 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 08:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMattes View Post

On full load with an overclock I think the 280x runs around 250w each.. I had a killawatt meter on at one time and I dont recall it going over 700w maybe it wasnt even over 600w.. but it wasnt an issue as the 4770k is less than the 2700k I had..

I never had a chance to "test" the second card on teh 3rd pci-e.. I was just getting there and it has only be running for 4 hours maybe..

I put them both back on and will give it a go.. See what happens...

Even 700W at the wall with 90% efficiency is only 630W.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #16 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 08:50 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 76
Just the 280X's and a 4770K all at stock pull almost 600W at load. That's the only reason it was a thought.

EDIT: With the AX 850 (AX860? I believe? Only 2 in that Wattage range from a quick google) says it's 80+Platinum, so I'm not convinced it's a wattage problem. This was just my thoughts, and trying to rule anything out that came to mind.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 08:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrto View Post

Just the 280X's and a 4770K all at stock pull almost 600W at load. That's the only reason it was a thought.

Well, two 290s at stock with an overclocked 4770K would only pull about 600-625W from the PSU while gaming.

post #18 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Liked: 74
I dont give Newegg reviews much merit as there Newegg reviews and anyone could of wrote them, but I found this one interesting..

"Since I purchased this, I've discovered the GA-Z87X has had a variety of reported BIOS, RAM, and GPU issues. Investigating upon Tom's Hardware, Newegg Reviews, and elsewhere, I've came across several of these reports and an issue of my own. When I first hooked up and prepared my rig, it powered on without a single problem. I went ahead and installed the proper drivers for this motherboard and my Radeon HD 7950 on a fresh install of Windows 7 64Bit and powered off for the next.

The next day, after work, the device began to power as per normal. Yet, the boot process drug out into a torturous affair. With the LED indicator on the motherboard reading A0 and my peripherals powered up, my monitors refused to pick up a signal. Thinking it might be a small glitch, I reset the PSU and started it up again. Same error.

I've found, after countless trial and error, that out of every ten boot cycles, the motherboard detects and receives signal from my GPU perhaps 15% of the time. On these failures, I'm forced to restart the computer and wait for the motherboard to trudge along through its normal checks and initializations that are... Well, excessively long, ranging at times three to four minutes. I'm not even sure why it's having to go through these, as every other motherboard I've encountered seems to boot through this process in under ten seconds. Outside of this, the GPU now randomly fails on this motherboard and causes a critical crash. I'm unable to even stream now due to this and I'm losing money from my normal subscribers."

I will have to look into it more... Not saying the board is my problem but something may be if it locks up again..

I found a new more reviews written about GPU problems with this board.. Some of them seem to be very well written and not the run of the mill "didnt turn on must be broke".

Its only been a week since I bought the board so I can return it to the store I think within 15 or 30 days depending.. So I got a few more days.. Lets hope it it just works this time around..

Laundromatic - Feb 2012 TC Champs!
Laundromatic - July 2012 TC Champs!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page