Is this psu good enough for me? - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 05-20-2007, 10:54 PM
The Odd Mod
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Too close to Microsoft
Posts: 24,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoship View Post
rosewill PSU w/ an 8800 graphics card?

hell no, get a silverstone.
Folks... IT WILL DO FINE

Rosewill isnt' that bad... and the 8800GTS isn't that bad a powerhog.

Jonnyguru gave a pretty good review for the 500W version of this PSU.... and the specs are plenty good also.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Chozart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
unable 2 fold effectively
 
this n00b again's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lost
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 687
ROSEWILL is a generic Newegg house brand. Sure it has good ratings, but how long have those people been using it? and do they really know what they're doing.

i would say its a decent psu, more on the good side. but if you just spend 1300 dollars on brand new system, you should not make the mistake most people do, -> over look the power supply. It is the most over looked thing to the general custom builders. but yet is one of the most important parts. sure u can have a quad core intel (if u had one) but without good power, its not worth it.

but if ur set on the rosewill, it will work -generally - its just not recommended.

poor psu can die early, get voltage spikes which lead to system instability, and etc. i know some people whose motherboards died because of faulty psus. im not saying that rosewill psu is bad. but if i were u you i would invest in that silverstone that ellipsis recommended. after all you must protect your investment.

biggrin.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant  5 Million+ Folding at Home points 

this n00b again is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 05-21-2007, 08:46 AM
The Odd Mod
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Too close to Microsoft
Posts: 24,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by this n00b again View Post
ROSEWILL is a generic Newegg house brand. Sure it has good ratings, but how long have those people been using it? and do they really know what they're doing.

i would say its a decent psu, more on the good side. but if you just spend 1300 dollars on brand new system, you should not make the mistake most people do, -> over look the power supply. It is the most over looked thing to the general custom builders. but yet is one of the most important parts. sure u can have a quad core intel (if u had one) but without good power, its not worth it.

but if ur set on the rosewill, it will work -generally - its just not recommended.

poor psu can die early, get voltage spikes which lead to system instability, and etc. i know some people whose motherboards died because of faulty psus. im not saying that rosewill psu is bad. but if i were u you i would invest in that silverstone that ellipsis recommended. after all you must protect your investment.
Hope you're not referring to Jonnyguru.com when you say 'do they really know what they're doing'

Yes, for the long haul I definately would look for something heftier. But it will let you power this rig for at least a couple of paychecks

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Chozart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 21 Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
unable 2 fold effectively
 
this n00b again's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lost
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 687
no im not referring to jonnyguru. what i meant was SOME people, not all people, because there are alot of reviews of beginners who go off because something isn't the way they thought it was. but then again

<-- n00b

biggrin.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant  5 Million+ Folding at Home points 

this n00b again is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
The Odd Mod
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Too close to Microsoft
Posts: 24,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by this n00b again View Post
no im not referring to jonnyguru. what i meant was SOME people, not all people, because there are alot of reviews of beginners who go off because something isn't the way they thought it was. but then again

<-- n00b
You're correct about that... I see plenty reviews of the type like:

"geez... it's a PSU... looks nice doesn't it?... oooh yes shiny! Let's see if it works. *turns on switch*. Ohhh nice leds!! and the computer works!! This PSU is recommended by us!!"

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Chozart is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 05-23-2007, 07:14 AM
unable 2 fold effectively
 
this n00b again's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lost
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 687
LOL that is exactly what im talking about.

biggrin.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant  5 Million+ Folding at Home points 

this n00b again is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 05-23-2007, 07:26 AM
PC Gamer
 
JTD92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 452
How about this PSU, its free after rebate at FRY.com

Ultra X-Finity 600 Watts SLI

Its has 38 A on 12V, Hope this help ya.


Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

JTD92 is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 05-23-2007, 07:35 AM
4.0ghz
 
Nevaziah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: /home
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Wow.. everyone tells me to stay away from the Ultra PSUs, and apparently the only one that's "acceptable" from DavidHammock200 is the X-finity, when I personnaly asked him. So between Rosewill and The X-Finity, I would go for the Xfinity if i had ABSOLUTELY NO CHOICE!!

When in doubt, use this guide

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE USING FEDEX OR UPS INTERNATIONALLY
Quote:
Left 4 Dead II: Starcraft II: League of Legends: Unreal Tournament III: Battlefield Bad Company 2Using HotKeys and Control Groups in Starcraft 2
Nevaziah is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 05-23-2007, 07:39 AM
unable 2 fold effectively
 
this n00b again's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lost
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 687
well generally ppl really only get ULTRA psu's because we can get them free after rebate. but for a high end system, you may want better.

biggrin.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant  5 Million+ Folding at Home points 

this n00b again is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 05-23-2007, 07:56 AM
4.0ghz
 
Nevaziah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: /home
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 196
All I can says is the two PSUs, the Ultra AND the Rosewill WILL power your system, but you dont want to keep them in there long term. I had a 450W psu that died after running only 3 days, whereas my FSP 400w still tanks on with my system. I pulled out my BFG650 cause it was too loud and I leave it on overnight.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE USING FEDEX OR UPS INTERNATIONALLY
Quote:
Left 4 Dead II: Starcraft II: League of Legends: Unreal Tournament III: Battlefield Bad Company 2Using HotKeys and Control Groups in Starcraft 2
Nevaziah is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off