Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-19-2006, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
Carcharodon Astra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 519
As topic really.

I was going to upgrade my motherboard and RAM a couple of weeks ago but ended up getting new speakers, PSU and an LCD.

I'm now getting the Asus nForce4 SLi 16x and 2GB of DDR2 in the next few weeks. Shortly after that I'll be adding a second XFX 7800 GTX EE but I'm just checking to see if the PSU I have at the moment would be able to cope with running a second GTX.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-19-2006, 04:13 AM
Ste

Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ct1c47
As topic really.

I was going to upgrade my motherboard and RAM a couple of weeks ago but ended up getting new speakers, PSU and an LCD.

I'm now getting the Asus nForce4 SLi 16x and 2GB of DDR2 in the next few weeks. Shortly after that I'll be adding a second XFX 7800 GTX EE but I'm just checking to see if the PSU I have at the moment would be able to cope with running a second GTX.
The recommended specs for 7800GTXs in SLI is around 34A on the 12v rail and 500+W. If your psu meets this then it should be okay.

post #3 of 4 Old 01-19-2006, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
Carcharodon Astra

Liked: 519
Cheers for the response. I'm just concerned that I may need more power with an overclocked CPU in my rig. Aside from the main components (CPU/motherboard/RAM/x2 graphics cards/sound card) the only other things it will need to power are 2 optical drives and 2 HDD's.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-19-2006, 04:42 AM
Ste

Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ct1c47
Cheers for the response. I'm just concerned that I may need more power with an overclocked CPU in my rig. Aside from the main components (CPU/motherboard/RAM/x2 graphics cards/sound card) the only other things it will need to power are 2 optical drives and 2 HDD's.
Yes, an overclocked cpu will draw quite a bit more power than at stock. I think you should be okay with that psu. Looked into it with my psu and it seems quite a few run GTXs in SLI with it. I'd try it, if it doesn't work just get a new psu then.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page