Friends computer random shut downs - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What happens is that at random times the computer justs shuts off weather its under a heavy load or just in idle. When it shuts down it will not turn back on intell you switch off and back on the psu and unplug the power cord to the psu. There are no error messages or BSODs it just happens. The computer has had a psu go out in it before because it was under powered to run a 260gtx. We have been trying to get a the problem solve for months. To me this sounds like software conflicting because it dose It a complete random. Also i think it could be the psu but that dosent make sense to me because if it was wouldn't it do so wile it is in a higher load rather then in lower loads but it also makes sence because you have to unpug the psu to get it to turn on again also the voltages in hw moniter are way off of what they should be but I think the it is reading them wrong because if the voltages were accully what the psu was giving out then it wouldent even have enogh power to turn on .83 on the +12 rail is not right

Windows 7 HP
750i XFX mobo
Q8200
Apower 750 psu
Ram is Gskillz ddr2 800

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 69
do you have another psu you can try in it?

and have you tryed useing a differnt video card/onboard?
post #3 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 01:15 AM
733mhz

Liked: 1
sounds like one of a few things check for broken wire sounds like short. that's where i would start its not software its hardware. then check if the motherboard is mounted properly nothing touching where it shouldn't be under the board. it happens more then you think. from there i would say start building a new computer because something is broken and the only way to check is to replace piece by piece

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 01:31 AM
4.4GHz

Liked: 267
Git rid of that A-Power right now. I had one and it was a constant source of problems. If you look on the sticker you'll see it has weak 12v amperage and thus wattage compared to the other rails on the unit...

The AMD ASRock Extreme Series Motherboard Club
Rkingsmiley.png FLAC > Essence STX > Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm thumbsupsmiley.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzogreg go_quote.gif

Hmm, I don't know of any other company that charges $15 for a kick to the testicles.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
I have had the opposite experience with the a powers every one i know has one and they run every thing you thro at them. With 2 exceptions of the under amped 680 that was in the box in question and a friend that ordered a 800 that was doa. Also i wouldn't doubt the cheapness of the apowers could result problem like this but they have been good thus far in my experiences.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavybarnett;12822216 
I have had the opposite experience with the a powers every one i know has one and they run every thing you thro at them. With 2 exceptions of the under amped 680 that was in the box in question and a friend that ordered a 800 that was doa. Also i wouldn't doubt the cheapness of the apowers could result problem like this but they have been good thus far in my experiences.

well try another psu if you can..

a a-power psu will say 680w.. but itll really run like 450 - 500w max.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavybarnett;12821961 
What happens is that at random times the computer justs shuts off weather its under a heavy load or just in idle. When it shuts down it will not turn back on intell you switch off and back on the psu and unplug the power cord to the psu.

Classic poor power regulation aka bad capacitor syndrome go goole those symptoms and you'll see what I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavybarnett;12821961 
I think the it is reading them wrong because if the voltages were accully what the psu was giving out then it wouldent even have enogh power to turn on .83 on the +12 rail is not right

Have you tried a digital multimeter off the main molex connector whilst the system is running?
  • Yellow is 12v
  • Red is 5v
  • Orange (or brown) is 3.3v

For an example here's a 5v line being tested on a powered up system, -/5% (10% in some instances) are the accepted output value range.

5vpositive.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin93;12822053 
Git rid of that A-Power right now.

+1 Hell yeah... 22A (12v rail) 680w for under $30? puke.gif

Old PC's don't die, they get reinvented sonic.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page