Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, long time lurker. Love the forums.

I recently decided to build a nice system, i5 2500k, 3x 6950s, SSD, triple monitor, etc.

The PSU I bought was a Silverstone ST1000-G, to ensure I had enough power for all my stuff, and because it said it had enough PCI-E connectors.

It arrives, and I see the PCI-E cables. It has two 6+2 pin cables, and then two cables that are 6+2 pin, but also Y off to a 6pin connector (attached to the 6+2 pin connector).

DSCF2190.JPG

You can see what I'm referring to.

My question is: am I able to connect those Y'd off 6pin connectors to one of my 3 cards (while the 6+2 pin part is also used)? Or will I have to return this?

An off topic question: would that PSU be enough for a 6990 + 6950? OC's on CPU and GPU.

Thanks a bunch guys. Really appreciate any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-11-2011, 04:32 PM

Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrey;13088716 
Hi, long time lurker. Love the forums.

I recently decided to build a nice system, i5 2500k, 3x 6950s, SSD, triple monitor, etc.

The PSU I bought was a Silverstone ST1000-G, to ensure I had enough power for all my stuff, and because it said it had enough PCI-E connectors.

It arrives, and I see the PCI-E cables. It has two 6+2 pin cables, and then two cables that are 6+2 pin, but also Y off to a 6pin connector (attached to the 6+2 pin connector).

DSCF2190.JPG

You can see what I'm referring to.

My question is: am I able to connect those Y'd off 6pin connectors to one of my 3 cards (while the 6+2 pin part is also used)? Or will I have to return this?

An off topic question: would that PSU be enough for a 6990 + 6950? OC's on CPU and GPU.

Thanks a bunch guys. Really appreciate any help you can give me.

It will handle tri-fire, but won't leave you much room. But definitely handle it.

nope.avi
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Liked: 90
Yes you can connect it. As long as it is a PCI-E cable it can be connected to the card. If its physically possible generally you can connect it. Only thing you should watch out for is not accidentally connecting the 8-pin mobo cable to the card, but other than that it's fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcherintherye;13088793 
Yes you can connect it. As long as it is a PCI-E cable it can be connected to the card. If its physically possible generally you can connect it. Only thing you should watch out for is not accidentally connecting the 8-pin mobo cable to the card, but other than that it's fine.

Connecting the +12v EPS connector into the 8 pin PCI-Express header isn't possible. IIRC, they're keyed differently.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Liked: 198
A good rule of thumb for (reputable) power supplies is you can connect as many graphics cards as you have native connectors for. Once you have to start using molex adapters its time for an upgrade.

nope.avi
post #6 of 8 Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmasherBasher;13088835 
Connecting the +12v EPS connector into the 8 pin PCI-Express header isn't possible. IIRC, they're keyed differently.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I've never tried it personally but quite a few PSU manuals have a warning against mixing up the +12v EPS and PCI-E connectors, so I assumed it was something to look out for.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-12-2011, 03:33 AM
[A]bort,[R]etry,[I]gnore?

Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcherintherye View Post
I've never tried it personally but quite a few PSU manuals have a warning against mixing up the +12v EPS and PCI-E connectors, so I assumed it was something to look out for.
Idiots with strong hands have been known to force EPS 8 pins into PCI-E connectors and vice-versa. Just take it slow and install it careful, and you will be fine.
Assuming the 6950 uses a pair of 6 pins, then you should be fine running each card off a single cable with the twin connectors, the 6950 isn't a massively high draw card. I'd not recommend that for GTX580s or the like, but for your cards it'll be fine.

Quotage is Epic (Click to show)
Quote:
Why do I have 6 monitors? Because I don't have room for 8. (Terry Pratchett)

Chimp Challenge Participant  BOINC Pentathlon Participant  

post #8 of 8 Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 AM
PSU Buff

Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by railfan844 View Post
It will handle tri-fire, but won't leave you much room. But definitely handle it.
What are you talking about... this is a 1000W unit, a good 850W can easily handle three 6950s.

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page