https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5dCXiXFaw

3770k@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/0lv27p
8350@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/rgh5nk
4670k@4.4 http://valid.x86.fr/swavhi
8310@4.5 http://valid.x86.fr/3nxlhi
Asus G75vw http://valid.x86.fr/tdt7t7
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4inkill3r go_quote.gif

Also, we're discussing intel because it seems like there's no way to enforce pure-AMD build threads in this forum. It should be renamed the 'you really want intel instead' forum.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 Old 02-08-2016, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragamemnon View Post

May I chime in with proposing a decent cooler for the CPU?
Odds are it will be compatible should you decide to upgrade to a newer platform, and it will provide you with headroom for a stable overclock, which will breathe new life in your CPU (which isn't bad or outdated in terms of gaming performance at all!). A higher end air cooler would work best for you.

Then, second on the priority list, I'd suggest a GPU because in-game framerate > loading times (IMO).

After which comes the SSD - seeing as you want to play select titles, a smaller one would fit your OS + one or two of your currently played games.

And lastly, if you can squeeze in a 2x4GB dual-channel kit, you'd be golden. You can later upgrade the RAM to 16GB by adding another of the same kit, or you won't lose too much value should you change platform to DD4. Plus, I don't think 8GB will be anywhere near a bottleneck for nowadays' games.

Actually I'd switch the RAM and SSD priority-wise if you are running in Single-channel mode right now.

+1 those recommendations about the relative priorty of things, although i'd suggest a budget air cooler like the thermalright truespirit 140 or hyper 212 evo would work just fine.

2015: i7-5820k @4.4, 980ti FTW @1481/7710, ASUS X99-PRO, Crucial Ballistix 2400 cl12, Silverstone 850W, Swiftech H240X
2010: i7-875k @3.9, 670 FTW @1267/6840, ASUS P7P55D-E-PRO, Crucial Ballistix 1600 cl8, Silverstone 750W, Asetek 550LC

10 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #33 of 81 Old 02-25-2016, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 0
Thanks a lot guys.

1) SSD
2) RAM
3) GPU
4) CPU Cooler

This is the right way to go I think (as per the advice given in this thread). However even if I use an SSD and since I will be connecting my 2 TB Hard disk to the system as well, thus do you recommend that game should be installed in SSD or even if I install in HDD it will make minor difference.

The GTX 970 as mentioned earlier is too expensive here. Even in websites like ebay etc its pricy.

Secondly I have to connect SSD to SATA 1 and HDD to SATA 2 and that's it right. I mean install OS in SSD and I am done.

I am thinking of buying Deepcool Gammaxx 200 Tower Type with 2 Heat Pipe Universal CPU Cooler (PC) or Cooler Master Hyper 103 Cooler. Let me know which one to go for. Options here are limited and they fit in my pricing range ($29).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 81 Old 02-25-2016, 07:08 AM
3 GigatronVolts/Pentasecond

Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatchap View Post

Thanks a lot guys.

1) SSD
2) RAM
3) GPU
4) CPU Cooler

This is the right way to go I think (as per the advice given in this thread). However even if I use an SSD and since I will be connecting my 2 TB Hard disk to the system as well, thus do you recommend that game should be installed in SSD or even if I install in HDD it will make minor difference.

The GTX 970 as mentioned earlier is too expensive here. Even in websites like ebay etc its pricy.

Secondly I have to connect SSD to SATA 1 and HDD to SATA 2 and that's it right. I mean install OS in SSD and I am done.

I am thinking of buying Deepcool Gammaxx 200 Tower Type with 2 Heat Pipe Universal CPU Cooler (PC) or Cooler Master Hyper 103 Cooler. Let me know which one to go for. Options here are limited and they fit in my pricing range ($29).

If the game is installed on the HDD, you will not notice improvement in the loading and performance of the game. If your OS is on the SSD, your boot-up speed will benefit and that's about it. (If you do that, odds are your swap file will be on the SSD, so it will perhaps maybe sometimes give you less stutter if you run out of RAM...which is a really, really unlikely scenario if you upgrade it.)

Also, it doesn't matter to which SATA port you connect your SSD as long as the port isn't connected to another, slower controller. (They are usually in different colour, so just populate the first two numbered SATA ports.)

Click Here To Join TC || My HFMClubs Clubs Clubs (Click to show)And the obligatory quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 go_quote.gif

Thinking of changing the title to "The Hand Size and Beer Talk thread (rubber dome plebs stay out)." tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnanasnoic go_quote.gif

*sniff* There's just... there's just this big empty hole... I don't know if I want to go on anymore... You had to be there, you just had to be there... *sniff* #Onmyspacetoilet
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

i like to sneak my rig with two 7970 reference cards in it into the bedroom when my gf is sleeping and...

75 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  BOINC Pentathlon Participant x2  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #35 of 81 Old 02-25-2016, 07:53 AM
First Time Build

Liked: 15
Quote:
Thanks a lot guys.

1) SSD
2) RAM
3) GPU
4) CPU Cooler
no Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
2) GPU
3) CPU Cooler
4) Ram (if current frequency is under 2000)
x)....
10) SSD

for the CPU cooler choose any of the ones on the top (excluding ones with sleeve bearing fans)

for gaming..........................(and movies)
post #36 of 81 Old 02-25-2016, 08:57 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 9
If you are willing to wait for the next generation of GPUs to come out you could probably get the same GPU at a cheaper price. Add another vote to the SSD and some RAM thumb.gif
If you could poste the stores webpage we could maybe make a better decision based on the prices.
post #37 of 81 Old 02-25-2016, 10:02 AM

Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadjinnSayan View Post

Ok, i know this, IMHO it is useful for Laptops and laptots variants, but could you list the programs that take benefit from them ? (don't know, when i wake up i boot up my PC and everything is already locked and loaded before i even finish to get dressed, maybe even before i start and that's it, the windows boot and program launch is done for the day.)

also could anyone link me a recent review/test/bench concerning SSD vs HDD in game load times ?

The entire Windows OS runs a million times faster with an ssd. You dont need a review to tell you that, as has already been stated once you have used an SSD you will see. It makes your PC feel a whole lot snappier in every way.

Game load times are all that is affected by putting them on an SSD and that is entirely dependent on user. However windows makes everything snappier and faster, HDD is always a bottleneck to windows, an SSD is pretty much the most noticeable upgrade any PC can get.

Going from a hard drive to an SSD is a major upgrade that you will notice with in seconds of using it, trust. SSD tech is also becoming much cheaper and is superior to a HDD in every way possible, I would actually even go as far as saying within the next 5-10 years they will completely replace all HDDs.

I also do not see a reason to not jump on the much faster upgrade train. SSDs have went down in price tremendously compared to when I bought my first SSD for $2+/gb. We are now at what .40-.50/GB ya its way worth that pricing.

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
post #38 of 81 Old 02-25-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks a lot guys.

1) SSD
2) RAM
3) GPU
4) CPU Cooler

About priorities...

If gaming is the high priority, I'd swap the priorities around to put the GPU at the top of the list, the GPU is by far the most significant part of a gaming pc. CPU might be next because all you need is a relatively inexpensive cooler to get a nice overclocking upgrade. I'd might put RAM third, most games don't need 8G to run, but if you get a game that does need more than 6G, you can't play at all with only 6G. An SSD is very very nice, but for gaming it's more like a luxury than a necessity.

However for general purpose use, an SSD is probably the most significant upgrade of the bunch. Everything is snappier and quieter.

About the coolers...

How much does a Hyper 212 EVO cost where u r (india)? They're about $30 us for a new one here in the us. Is there a used market? The 92mm coolers you listed won't give you much overclocking headroom. What about the DeepCool Gammaxx 400, it has a 120mm fan?

A thing to be careful about with coolers is whether or not they will fit in your case. Look at spec sheets at the height of the tower coolers and make sure your case is wide enough to fit it. Case makers usually list the max supported cooler height in their spec sheets.

This review lists a bunch of coolers so you can see how they compare to one another.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2696&page=5

If it were me, I might get a 970 and a good cooler, overclock the cpu a bit, and game on. I'm pretty sure you could keep that under $500 even new, but the premium prices you have to pay for new stuff there is really crappy? Is there a healthy used market given that situation? If it were me, I'd definitely look into that.
fragamemnon likes this.

2015: i7-5820k @4.4, 980ti FTW @1481/7710, ASUS X99-PRO, Crucial Ballistix 2400 cl12, Silverstone 850W, Swiftech H240X
2010: i7-875k @3.9, 670 FTW @1267/6840, ASUS P7P55D-E-PRO, Crucial Ballistix 1600 cl8, Silverstone 750W, Asetek 550LC

post #39 of 81 Old 02-25-2016, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 0
Thank you again guys. I appreciate your advice.

Gaming is a priority otherwise I would have stuck to my GTX 660 which is also a good card. However I can only give a limited time to gaming due to other priorities in life.

Either I will upgrade my pc in a few days or may wait for a month or two in which case I will recheck prices of GPU. I checked a few prices in local market and here it is:

1) Gigabyte GTX 960 (2 GB DDR5 RAM) - $217 (approx)
ASUS GTX 960 - $241

GTX 970 - $$355 (approx)

2) SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB - $102 and Crucial BX100 250GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive is around $83.
One guy wrote a review for Crucial BX 100 as "It turns out that this drive has the fastest read speed of the six drives I tested (excluding the Samsung 840 EVO when the Samsung Magician software is running). However, it has the slowest write speed of the six drives I tested"

3) RAM DDR3 4 GB - $22

4) Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $41 (approx)

If I upgrade I will upgrade all the parts rather than one or two.

The used market in India is so so and I am skeptical about it. Plus a used GTX 970 may still cost me around $288 here. So count that market out of consideration.

(One out of topic question: Assuming ram is 8 gb which is the page file setting that we should keep in Windows 7 to get the best performance.)

post #40 of 81 Old 02-25-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Thank you again guys. I appreciate your advice.

Gaming is a priority otherwise I would have stuck to my GTX 660 which is also a good card. However I can only give a limited time to gaming due to other priorities in life.

Either I will upgrade my pc in a few days or may wait for a month or two in which case I will recheck prices of GPU. I checked a few prices in local market and here it is:

1) Gigabyte GTX 960 (2 GB DDR5 RAM) - $217 (approx)
ASUS GTX 960 - $241

GTX 970 - $$355 (approx)

2) SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB - $102 and Crucial BX100 250GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive is around $83.
One guy wrote a review for Crucial BX 100 as "It turns out that this drive has the fastest read speed of the six drives I tested (excluding the Samsung 840 EVO when the Samsung Magician software is running). However, it has the slowest write speed of the six drives I tested"

3) RAM DDR3 4 GB - $22

4) Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $41 (approx)

If I upgrade I will upgrade all the parts rather than one or two.

The used market in India is so so and I am skeptical about it. Plus a used GTX 970 may still cost me around $288 here. So count that market out of consideration.

(One out of topic question: Assuming ram is 8 gb which is the page file setting that we should keep in Windows 7 to get the best performance.)

I think it ultimately depends on your how much memory the set of applications you want to run at the same time require.

http://lifehacker.com/5426041/understanding-the-windows-pagefile-and-why-you-shouldnt-disable-it
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2008/11/17/pushing-the-limits-of-windows-virtual-memory/

On my previous win7 system with 8G of ram, i think i left windows in control of the pagefile size and location, i'm not sure what it chose, i never had a problem with it. On my new system with 16G of ram, i don't anticipate ever need to swap. I have a pagefile because some things get confused when there is no pagefile, but its a very small pagefile, 64Mb.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page