post #11 of 14 Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Did that guide involve registry edits? If so don't follow it again. It is useless. You will probably break everything again. Just move the user folders themselves by the location tab in their properties.
And for the Intel RST, did you try enable caching on the OS SSD after the you installed the OS? If so that will corrupt everything and make you have to reinstall as well. You can't do that. Do not bother with caching what so ever unless you have a second SSD imo.
I followed this http://www.overclock.net/t/664738/how-to-setup-ssd-boot-drive-with-secondary-hard-disc-optimization

Fair enough on the second SSD, I was just hoping for more instant results since the SSD I got on sale was so much bigger than necessary.

As far as the Intel RST I hardly remember it was at like 2am last night. All I know is it crashed and would only let me log into the first account I created and regedit disapeared. When regedit disappeared I cut my losses and reinstalled.

Think I should cut my loses again and just reinstall when I get home? Everything worked fine when I was at lunch after the regedit was done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Liked: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterface View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Did that guide involve registry edits? If so don't follow it again. It is useless. You will probably break everything again. Just move the user folders themselves by the location tab in their properties.
And for the Intel RST, did you try enable caching on the OS SSD after the you installed the OS? If so that will corrupt everything and make you have to reinstall as well. You can't do that. Do not bother with caching what so ever unless you have a second SSD imo.
I followed this http://www.overclock.net/t/664738/how-to-setup-ssd-boot-drive-with-secondary-hard-disc-optimization

Fair enough on the second SSD, I was just hoping for more instant results since the SSD I got on sale was so much bigger than necessary.

As far as the Intel RST I hardly remember it was at like 2am last night. All I know is it crashed and would only let me log into the first account I created and regedit disapeared. When regedit disappeared I cut my losses and reinstalled.

Think I should cut my loses again and just reinstall when I get home? Everything worked fine when I was at lunch after the regedit was done.
Yea, I couldn't get that guide working for me. It was a complete waste of time. Plus if you want to move the entire user folder there are better ways to do so. I just move the individual folders via their location tab case it is really easy and simple to do after reinstalls.

This guide is what you want to look at:
Win 7: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
or
Win 8: http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

I AM THE SSD BENCHMARK GURU
Storage Essentials*Put your Rig in your Signature!*My Build LogsMy Server Build LogflickrSteamDepression and I
How I imagine people wanting help on the forums: "Hi, I just met you and this is crazy! But, here's my issue, so help me maybe?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepejovi go_quote.gif

Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!
! (Click to show)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

┬─┬ ノ(°-°ノ)

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━━┻

(-_-*)

(/ .□.)\ ︵╰(°Д°)╯︵ /(.□. \)

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #13 of 14 Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Sounds good, I will give that a go when I get home with a clean install.

Thanks again, I'll repost when I'm done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker

Your guide worked GREAT, too bad I didn't stumble across that first could have saved myself a lot of head aches.

In the end I removed the partitions from the SSD and just loaded the OS on it the moved everything over. I won't bother with Intel RST till I pickup an additional SSD.

Thanks again for all the help!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page