General Questions, Perc 6/i - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I have a few questions as I'm new to RAID.

I'm currently looking at buying a machine with a PERC 6/i SAS internal RAID adapterfor Hot Plug Configuration from Dell.

1. How good is this controller? This page has specs on it. It has 256MB cache and write back cache with BBU.

2. I'm looking to configure this setup: RAID 0 for single OS drive, RAID 1 for for my data drive (2x500GB). 3 SATA 7.2k rpm drives in the machine. Is this setup possible?

3. Migration questions: I already have my system installed in a machine now and therefore need to migrate it to the new setup. I suspect moving the current operating system drive and putting it into RAID 0 won't be possible without a reinstall, but what about my 500GB data drive for RAID 1? Will I be able to just put it in, throw another 500GB disk in there and then have it "build" the array or do I need to completely start over?

4. Let's say something happens and I need to pop out the 500GB drive or the drive in raid 0 and read them via an enclosure. Possible? I've read you can break a RAID 1 and plug the drive in and view all the data as normal. Then plug it back in and rebuild the array.

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Windows Wrangler

Liked: 185
Quote:
1. How good is this controller? This page has specs on it. It has 256MB cache and write back cache with BBU.

The Perc 6/i which im using is excellent for all my needs. Very stable and good.
Quote:
2. I'm looking to configure this setup: RAID 0 for single OS drive, RAID 1 for for my data drive (2x500GB). 3 SATA 7.2k rpm drives in the machine. Is this setup possible?

You need 2+ drives for RAID 0. The rest will work, provided you have the required cables.
Quote:
3. Migration questions: I already have my system installed in a machine now and therefore need to migrate it to the new setup. I suspect moving the current operating system drive and putting it into RAID 0 won't be possible without a reinstall, but what about my 500GB data drive for RAID 1? Will I be able to just put it in, throw another 500GB disk in there and then have it "build" the array or do I need to completely start over?

What controller do you have it on? If you're using Intel ICH8+ you can move your raid 0 array aswell. I am not sure what you are talking about. 500GB drive for Raid 1? You need at minimum 2 drives for raid 1 to work at all.

Quote:
4. Let's say something happens and I need to pop out the 500GB drive or the drive in raid 0 and read them via an enclosure. Possible? I've read you can break a RAID 1 and plug the drive in and view all the data as normal. Then plug it back in and rebuild the array.

You can't remove drives from raid 0 without losing data since the 2 drives depend on each other. Raid 1 is possible I mean, but dont quote me on that.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

post #3 of 7 Old 02-24-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Quote:
You need 2+ drives for RAID 0. The rest will work, provided you have the required cables.
Hmm, ok. Are you sure about a raid 0 requiring at least two drives? Interesting because Dell is letting me order it with a single 500gb drive configured with raid 0. I'm getting this system with 4 hot plug bays so I'm assuming that should be enough.

Edit; just found this page: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/...eLevel0-c.html perhaps the Perc 6/i is one of those types of controllers that allows it.

The reason I even suggsted raid 0 is because I didn't see any option to run disks in no-raid with this controller, so I thought I could get away with it by having a raid 0 of a single drive.

Quote:
What controller do you have it on? If you're using Intel ICH8+ you can move your raid 0 array aswell. I am not sure what you are talking about. 500GB drive for Raid 1? You need at minimum 2 drives for raid 1 to work at all.
Sorry, upon reading my question I completely left out important information: The system I'm moving the drives from has no RAID at all.

That system is currently setup like this: Two drives, one 80gb SATA drive for the OS, a 500GB drive which is where I keep all important information. My plan was to buy a second 500gb drive for a RAID 1 in the new system. Keep the 80gig drive I have now, and throw that in as RAID 0.

So again, old setup:

Drive #1: 80gb SATA (OS drive)
Drive #2: 500gb SATA (data and content)
No RAID

Want to turn that setup into:

Drive #1: 80gb SATA (OS drive) (Raid 0)
Drive #2: 500gb SATA (RAID 1)
Drive #3: 500gb SATA (RAID 1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Windows Wrangler

Hi again

In order for raid 0 work properly you need 2 drives to get the speed increase. The dell perc has raid 0 for single disk yes, but you wont see a speed difference (which is the plus side of raid 0). I haven't tried single disk raid 0 on my perc before, but if it says so it must work I guess.

Sorry that I said 2 drives earlier, for most controllers you need 2 drives to just enable it, but I was just uneducated.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-24-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Hi, thanks for the reply. I realize I won't have the performance of having two drives in raid 0, but as it is I don't actually need it right now anyway.

Any advice about the migration from a system with no raid?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Windows Wrangler

Sorry for late reply.

Moving it should be no worries, just set it up and it should work.

WARNING: Do NOT press INITIALIZE on the old disk. It will remove all old data.

post #7 of 7 Old 03-09-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Hi, sorry for the late reply back as well. I only just got the machine a few days ago.

That's what I figured as well about the move; should be painless. Thanks for the advice. I'll get the practice this with old some test disks and I'll be making backups as well anyway.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page