[Business Insider] Google Wants To Be Your Cable TV Provider, Sources Tell Analyst - Page 4 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 PM
♫This was a triumph♫

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGrimmReaper View Post

Considering it's an additional $50/month for the TV add-on, I don't think most anyone on OCN would do that when you can get YouTube for free and Netflix/Hulu Plus for <$30 per month.
Though the free Nexus 7 is pretty appealing...

Yeah I have to disagree with that...

I use my HTPC to rip all of my programming now as it is and sort it all into XBMC for viewing later. HuluPlus doesn't carry everything I want, and netflix? Not a fan. Had the service for 3 years first with disc, then disc-less as more streams were added (especially after price jump). Then I went to Blockbuster and just ripped what I got from them. Now? I just use my Prime account.

Point is, I love all the digital services. For a long time I thought Netflix would be 'it'. It isn't. Netflix stagnated a long time ago. To be fair I don't blame them for that, I blame the studios, but the fact remains nothing supplants cable yet.

So I would definitely subscribe to googles bundle.

v>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 PM

Liked: 148
I recently cut cable and landline and it's been awesome so far. I have been saving a lot of money towards a HD7970! biggrin.gif
post #33 of 36 Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM
M$ Fanboy

Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

Yeah I have to disagree with that...
I use my HTPC to rip all of my programming now as it is and sort it all into XBMC for viewing later. HuluPlus doesn't carry everything I want, and netflix? Not a fan. Had the service for 3 years first with disc, then disc-less as more streams were added (especially after price jump). Then I went to Blockbuster and just ripped what I got from them. Now? I just use my Prime account.
Point is, I love all the digital services. For a long time I thought Netflix would be 'it'. It isn't. Netflix stagnated a long time ago. To be fair I don't blame them for that, I blame the studios, but the fact remains nothing supplants cable yet.
So I would definitely subscribe to googles bundle.

How do you have enough time to watch all of that television confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 09-21-2012, 12:50 PM
♫This was a triumph♫

Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGrimmReaper View Post

How do you have enough time to watch all of that television confused.gif

I don't. I have a few shows that I like to watch when I have time. But my wife likes to watch her shows. Then there is the football and soccer games in case it's our weekend to host. None of which, is the reason.

I do it for variety. Granted $/TB is still higher than pre-flood, but putting together a basic HTPC and file server is a breeze and very inexpensive. Heck I used a hacked dockstar at first running linux as the server. Whatever I want to watch, whenever I want to watch, or listen, is a far better value than cable alone any day. If netflix offered a $100 a month service to watch anything and everything, I'd buy in a heart beat.

But no service can offer that (though I hear DirecTv has a Platinum package or whatever for celebrities that even includes free PPV), hence why I keep my streaming via Prime (2day shipping is nice too), and my cable. The HTPC just ties them all into a nice GUI to make it seem more seemless.

v>
post #35 of 36 Old 09-21-2012, 12:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

I wouldn't find it to be a monopoly at all; if anything Comcast and AT&T are an oligopoly and Google are just stimulating competition.

This. Competition ftw.

post #36 of 36 Old 09-22-2012, 04:52 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

I know you were saying it in light humor, but that makes no sense... it's not like they're going to physically come to your house and install a camera inside the TV you already own; they're not selling nor giving you any TVs. All they'd really get on you is what channels/what genre movies/shows you watch, and maybe stream you advertisements that relate to your geographical location and channel interests. If you're always watching the Speed Network, perhaps they'd show you more car commercials, for example.

like you said, light humor.

I know its not possible. What I was trying to get at, I don't want them to know more about me, then what they already know...

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page