[WinSuperSite, Tech Report] Updated - Windows 8 Sales Well Below Projections - Page 17 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #161 of 307 Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

and what, may I ask, do you click less to get to?
And don't include shortcuts that have been in Windows since XP like the windows button, or Winkey-type search since vista. What new thing in merto makes it faster.

I use the windows key for classic and metro. That wasn't the less clicks.. its the clicking of the folders to get to programs and the lack of needing to scroll to get to them.

old way = windows key ---- folder --- subfolder ---- program

new way = windows key ---- program

So you mean desktop icons and shortcuts, which would remove even the Windows key press and has been around since, what, Windows 95? Earlier?

Here, I'll help you simulate this. Put some icons on your desktop. Highlight them. hold down control, and scroll up until the icons are as big as metro tiles.

Done.
tpi2007 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 307 Old 11-18-2012, 10:59 PM
PC Gamer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

So you mean desktop icons and shortcuts, which would remove even the Windows key press and has been around since, what, Windows 95? Earlier?

I hate cluttered desktops. I've been pretty neurotic about having less than 20 icons on my desktop since even windows 3.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 go_quote.gif

You want true privacy? Go live in the woods with no electronics like in the early 19th century. Otherwise stop complaining.

In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto

post #163 of 307 Old 11-18-2012, 11:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post

Quote:

I hate cluttered desktops. I've been pretty neurotic about having less than 20 icons on my desktop since even windows 3.11

Well that's your own problem, and has nothing to do with metro which is just a 2nd desktop full of icons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 307 Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 AM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 21
I have a feeling its because people don't like change. When Windows vista came out and everyone saw how much of a nightmare that was, people are afraid to move to the next big thing which is windows 8. I feel that way. I mean if you think about it Windows 7 is pretty new still and people are just beginning to understand and like it. The economic could be a factor as well along with others.
post #165 of 307 Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 AM

Liked: 65
I couldn't envision people who use Win7 upgrading. It just seems more easier to navigate (even if that isn't the case) and straight forward. Did they count on PC sales or actual Win8 sales?
post #166 of 307 Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 AM
1.3ghz

Liked: 34
I dont know about the rest of you, but ...

I sometimes like to lean back in my chair and use only the mouse and not the keyboard (such as when I read OCN).
To me, what makes windows 7 so much better than DOS is that windows is a graphics interface which is very usable with a mouse.
If I want an OS which heavily uses a keyboard, then why would I want windows?

Correct me if I am wrong (since I have never used windows 8), but seems like windows 8 is a step backwards, in the sense that, there is more typing involved.

post #167 of 307 Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partol View Post

I dont know about the rest of you, but ...

I sometimes like to lean back in my chair and use only the mouse and not the keyboard (such as when I read OCN).
To me, what makes windows 7 so much better than DOS is that windows is a graphics interface which is very usable with a mouse.
If I want an OS which heavily uses a keyboard, then why would I want windows?

Correct me if I am wrong (since I have never used windows 8), but seems like windows 8 is a step backwards, in the sense that, there is more typing involved.

You can use just a mouse for metro too, it'll just take longer.
post #168 of 307 Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerald View Post

I think it's borderline ridiculous on how most people complain about the new UI. Can someone please explain to me what's wrong with it? I've been using Windows 8 since release preview (now I have the Pro), and I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't even have a touch monitor.
Windows 8 is a definite upgrade from Windows 7. If you don't like the Metro Windows 8 Store apps, then you don't even have to use them. The new start menu on the other hand can actually be quicker than the previous one in terms of accessing content. Want to go to your Control Panel? Hit the Windows key on your keyboard then type C-O- -oh look control panel's right in your face already. Now press enter. There you go. Wasn't that easy?
What's that? The Run command? Then type run at the damn start screen or just hit Windows+R. Seriously, all this hate is getting ridiculous.
guiltysmiley.gif

The Holy Grail of user-interface design is that the UI has to be equally easily accessible through each native input device. For the desktop this means the right and appropriate mouse support. This means (context)menu style accesibility.

It fails the holy grail of UI design. You're telling them to use the keyboard and be done with it. Tell that to the "mousers" amongst us.
tpi2007 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone
LOL WUT!?
post #169 of 307 Old 11-19-2012, 05:19 AM
4.4Ghz for Netflix

Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by gEEKaDE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox99 View Post

Thanks for sharing your experience, thats quite interesting.

Ok, after spending hours finding how to access the BIOS on my new VAIO (SVE171290X) and disabling SECURE BOOT so I can install Windows 7. Everything I've done is useless because VAIO's own drivers (brightness, battery, volume, etc) do not work under Windows 7. Graphics drivers are also tied to the manufacturer. Basically they made it so you cannot install Windows 7 with full functionality on all laptops that come preinstalled with Windows 8.

Long story short, if you're buying a new laptop this year you're stuck with Windows 8 unless the manufacturer you're buying from has Windows 7 driver support.

Welcome to Sony, honestly, you got a Sony laptop...why did you expect any different?

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #170 of 307 Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 AM
4.4Ghz for Netflix

Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG_bigboss View Post

I have a feeling its because people don't like change. When Windows vista came out and everyone saw how much of a nightmare that was, people are afraid to move to the next big thing which is windows 8. I feel that way. I mean if you think about it Windows 7 is pretty new still and people are just beginning to understand and like it. The economic could be a factor as well along with others.

It's the both, however the argument going on between those for and against Metro is more combating MS' claims that it's faster to use.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page