[WinSuperSite, Tech Report] Updated - Windows 8 Sales Well Below Projections - Page 6 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #51 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Iconoclast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

And Microsoft won't even notice. They don't make money off selling it to you, they make money off OEMs, Server OSs, and Office.
Retail copies are like Ph II x3s. Why waste it, toss it out for the few cents it'll make.

Microsoft does notice retail sales. Obviously, one person not buying a few copies isn't going to make a difference, but there is a general level of antipathy or indifference to Windows 8 that is well exemplified by people like 47 Knucklehead.

If someone doesn't see the changes brought by Windows 8 as being worth while, they should not purchase it, to save themselves 40 dollars and some hassle.
Quote:

I ran Win7 completely stock, it was perfect.

We have very different definitions of perfect.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 03:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Quote:

And Microsoft won't even notice. They don't make money off selling it to you, they make money off OEMs, Server OSs, and Office.
Retail copies are like Ph II x3s. Why waste it, toss it out for the few cents it'll make.

Microsoft does notice retail sales. Obviously, one person not buying a few copies isn't going to make a difference, but there is a general level of antipathy or indifference to Windows 8 that is well exemplified by people like 47 Knucklehead.

If someone doesn't see the changes brought by Windows 8 as being worth while, they should not purchase it, to save themselves 40 dollars and some hassle.
Quote:

I ran Win7 completely stock, it was perfect.

We have very different definitions of perfect.

While true, that level of antipathy will be noticed by the average user not buying OEM computers with Win8. Not a few dozen people refusing to buy retail.

No 3rd party implementation on Win7 was worth the effort, let alone any money at all.
post #53 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Iconoclast

Liked: 3129
Quote:

While true, that level of antipathy will be noticed by the average user not buying OEM computers with Win8. Not a few dozen people refusing to buy retail.

OEM system sales probably will matter more than retail OS sales/upgrades, but your numbers are off by several orders of magnitude.

Windows 7 sold millions of retail copies. We are talking about hundreds of thousands or millions of potential people not buying retail copies of 8, not a few dozen.
Quote:

No 3rd party implementation on Win7 was worth the effort, let alone any money at all.

This is a matter of opinion.

I did extensive tweaking to Windows 7 and used 3rd party apps and tools for many things, and it was worth it, because I feel the out of box Windows 7 experience is crap, just like every version of Windows that came before it, and probably every version that will come after it. It's one of the main reasons I use the Server OSes, they take considerably less time to strip down.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 PM

Liked: 6
If I were Microsoft I would immediately make a more desktop friendly version of windows 8. I would add the start button back. Get rid of the metro UI. Make sure its super fast and desktop friendly. Have it ready within 6 months. I would call it Windows 8 Desktop. Price it Around $50 - $100 with only one version. biggrin.gif

We must have a super fast wired infrastructure to support a wireless society!
post #55 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 04:00 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Tech101 View Post

If I were Microsoft I would immediately make a more desktop friendly version of windows 8. I would add the start button back. Get rid of the metro UI. Make sure its super fast and desktop friendly. Have it ready within 6 months. I would call it Windows 8 Desktop. Price it Around $50 - $100 with only one version. biggrin.gif

I would buy that. smile.gif
post #56 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Silent but Deadly

Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post

this is true, why else do Macbooks win all the consumer polls and and get the best reviews? It's hard not win by default when non-Apple PC makers are...*gulp* DELL and HP (name 1 product that you'd want to own by them? Exactly you can't)

Those are NOT the best, they sell the most. The best are Lenovo, HP Business line Probook's, some of the Asus models, and some of the Toshiba models, in my opinion.

That being said the higher prices pay for nicer equipment on the Mac side. While they are harder to find you can find models just as nice in Wintel machines.

Audio setup: Xonar Essence ST into Niles SI-275 amplifier driving CSW Tower II speakers paired with M&K MX-70 subwoofer. Headphones: DT880 Pro 250ohm
post #57 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 04:06 PM
3.0ghz

Liked: 29
Guess I'm one of the few that actually doesn't mind metro.

post #58 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 04:23 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socko1965 View Post

Face the facts, Warmonger. Most people using a desktop PC, myself included, prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8. Get over it.
Most people are also not very smart, and quite stubborn.
post #59 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 04:30 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juganot View Post

Most don't want to have to get a third party unofficial application that may or may not break every time windows is updated.

True for me. But I'm getting on fine without it, so... *shrug*

Also, this:
Quote:
How could Microsoft launch Windows 8 and not launch Surface Pro? It makes no sense at all.

I think the source makes a very good point, which is that there are just so many options available right now -- all completely different from each other -- that it's too overwhelming to choose an upgrade right now. I was looking at options yesterday for my friend (he ended up choosing a Lenovo Y580), and I was even underwhelmed, and I consider myself in the 1% of those who understand these things.

Things I would want when I upgrade my laptop (not for a while):
  • A touch-enabled laptop -- hey, Win8 is touch, I'm not going to get a Win8 laptop that doesn't have it.
  • Good battery life, at least 7 hours
  • A discrete graphics card
  • "Ultrabook" style, AKA pretty and thin
  • 1080P IPS screen
  • A solid state drive at least 128GB
  • Costing no more than $2k

Before you say that it's impossible to get all that in one machine, I actually did find something when I looked: Asus's Zenbook Touch U500VZ, but it's not actually available yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian go_quote.gif

"Even his griefs are a joy long after to one that remembers all that he wrought and endured."
~ Homer, The Odyssey
FLAC > foobar2000 > Xonar Essence ST > Sennheiser HD600
post #60 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 7
Windows 8 is a touchscreen o/s.

JF-AMD saying AMD can build you a computer that beats Intel, but you can't afford it. Is as to say I can build you a steam engine faster than a gasoline car but you can't afford it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page