[X-bit Labs] Intel’s Haswell Could Be Last Interchangeable Desktop Microprocessors - Report - Page 10 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 276 Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 PM
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 164
As long as it can be water cooled I couldn't care less. yessir.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 276 Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Paid AMD Shill

Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyp36rmax View Post

Maybe we are all taking this out of context. Mainstream may well in fact be OEM manufacturers such as Dell, HP, etc.

BGA may be cost-effective for the oems to produce in large quantities. Considering the average user usually won't take their pc apart. Imagine what the business market outlook looks like? I foresee this being implemented strongly in the mobile laptop market, I don see grandma wanting to upgrade her CPU in her $400 Dell laptop year after year.

The point is they may have found a way to minimize cost and maximize market share and profits as a whole. And I do agree this is the evolution of our technology.

What does it mean to us few enthusiast? Jack crap... We are not the majority but a minority of the market share, I'm sure they will still produce the LGA format for higher end builds. So I'm not worried at all...

Many if not most laptops already use BGA
post #93 of 276 Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post

What's going to happen with all the Intel motherboard manufacturers?

They start doing ARM motherboards with good overclocking settings and selling ARM chips in LGA format out of spite ? I cant imagine them going out without a fight if Intel spits em in the eye that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantium40 View Post

This reaction is surprisingly positive for something that could kill off the hobby of all those who come to these forums...

Hehe - Oveclocking has not been always "easy" and mainstream thing to do. Where there is will there is a way. Did you know that some people, for example, overclock even their calculators - I stumbled recently upon a guide gow to overclock your Texsas Instruments TI-89 calculator. ARM chips, on the other hard, are soldered into motherboards but it seems that has not prevented people from overclocking them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 276 Old 11-22-2012, 11:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 107
So basically you'll be forced to buy motherboard + CPU at the same time? That is so lame. If this isn't only for OEM manufactures, I don't know what to say. Everything will be so boring then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7412 go_quote.gif
SLI is great, during the summer months when it's really hot (I don't have AC) I can take one of my cards out and it greatly reduces the heat from my PSU and the extra video card
post #95 of 276 Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

Disclaimer: I actually read the article. redface.gif
With that out of the way tongue.gif, I have to say that, if this were true, it does not make much sense for some of the mainstream market. Of course many form factors already have the CPUs soldered, smartphones, tablets, some laptops, motherboards with Atom CPUs, etc. In the case of the first two I mentioned, it's mainly because of a need for the highest integration possible in the least amount of space, besides you couldn't upgrade the CPU even if you wanted. In some laptops it makes sense, also because of space constraints, ultrabooks, for example, and because of thermal issues - a faster CPU might use more power and the cooling solution wasn't designed for it, not to mention it can be difficult to disassemble the laptop to replace it. Thermal issues in general are a valid reason to not have replaceable CPUs in laptops. With the Atom motherboards I think it's a question of cost - the motherboard is not that expensive, and neither is the CPU, so if either one of them fails, the OEM won't lose much to replace the whole thing. Not to mention that Intel doesn't provide much of an upgrade path for Atoms, so the prospect of upgrading if virtually zero.
For common desktops though I have my doubts that this makes economic sense. There is no space constraint, and anything better than a dual Core Pentium (more than $ 100) is probably already too expensive to afford having the motherboard fail and having to desolder the CPU, risking damaging it, not to mention that it takes time to do that. PC repair shops for example would have a headache, and people would have to wait longer to have the PC repaired, as the motherboard would likely have to be sent in to the OEM instead of just replacing the motherboard in the store. The lack of choice and the nightmare that it would be having to pair different motherboards with different features with a set of different CPUs would also narrow choice and make the whole thing a logistic nightmare for many people in the industry.
Of course, the high-end will remain, we are still a few hundreds of thousands around the world and we are also part of what makes a brand desirable, and we will always be a niche, we always have, we will always be, and that is actually a good thing. Heck, in the beginning the whole owning a PC was niche, so there is no need to be alarmist just yet.
Besides, the general people who up until a few years ago loathed computers and thought of themselves (in a cool way, of course) as computer illiterate, now that PCs are mainstream, just want one to socialize, and basically have it behave like a kitchen appliance, that is what happens when a set of technologies enters the mainstream. Having said that, for people who buy a desktop, even if they don't ever open the case, I still have my doubts if soldering the CPU to the motherboard, provided we are not talking about very cheap components (including the CPU, like the Atom), makes any economic sense for all parties involved.

Now this is more believable.thumb.gif

Formula One Cars and Indy Cars are close in top speed. Indy Cars are 20 mph faster then F1 cars. But the real question is can Indy Cars turn at 215mph. the truth is no they cant, but F1 cars can. If you like watching people crash on ovals be my guest and watch Indy cars & NASCAR, if you truly like motor sport you would watch F1.
post #96 of 276 Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Programmer

Liked: 36
post #97 of 276 Old 11-23-2012, 01:35 AM
SFF Enthusiast

Liked: 329
Send a message via Yahoo to ghostrider85
Quote:
Originally Posted by protzman View Post

death of the pc thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Please do explain

post #98 of 276 Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 92
If this is true I'm going AMD (hopefully they'll have chips that are faster than Intel's by then).

It numbs my mind why companies makes such idiotic decisions sometimes. poke.gif

post #99 of 276 Old 11-23-2012, 01:50 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Liked: 432
If there was ever a time for AMD to shine, it would be now...

post #100 of 276 Old 11-23-2012, 01:58 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth777 View Post

If there was ever a time for AMD to shine, it would be now...

Well in this particular regard AMD is in my opinion still "shining" as unlike Intel low end offerings you still can unlock/Overclock AMD low end products. For example, Sempron 145 is awesome value, for ~25 .. 30 Eur you get a CPU that unlocks to dualcore and overcloks to ~3.5 GHz with quite reliably in my experience. And then there is this new Sempron 190 which is already dualcore and can be overclocked to ~3.5 GHz with just very minor voltage bump in practically any ~35 Eur motherboard. Intel has been locking down their entry level products for quite a while by now and removing ability to switch out CPU's easily in that segment is just another logical step for them.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page