[Dualshockers] Sony Executive Weighs in on the Possibility of a future release of a PS4 with Improved Performance. - Page 9 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #81 of 99 Old 10-25-2015, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Reminds me of the Jaguar game Aliens vs Predator,the dev said that they could have made the game much prettier then it was but they cut corners to get it down to a reasonable size for cartridge thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 99 Old 10-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLoco View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post

I still don't consider that a success. Maybe it wasn't an unmitigated disaster like all the others, but it certainly didn't have widespread adoption.
http://www.giantbomb.com/nintendo-64/3045-43/
The best selling game that requires the expansion pack is Majora's Mask at 3.36 million units, I'm betting that's roughly how many expansion packs there are in the wild (which is about 10% of console lifetime sales).
Plenty of of other games utilized it. Notable ones are PerfectDark: ~2.5 million units and Donkey Kong 64: 3.8 Million Units, Pokemon Stadium 2: 2.15 million.

Ah yes, DK64 sold 40 thousand units more.
It's not a stretch to think that virtually all of those sales numbers were achieved by the same group of people. Even if the expansion pack sold 5 million units that's a far cry from widespread adoption.

Conversely the New 3DS sold 4 million units with less than a year on the market, you can bet it's going to do pretty well in terms of lifetime sales. Releasing an entirely new console with upgraded hardware is a much better idea.
post #83 of 99 Old 10-25-2015, 05:19 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedm5 View Post

I don't see this actually happening. It would cause confusion in the market and anger "early adopters". It wouldn't be worth their R&D. Instead of doing that just pump out a PS5 sooner, maybe 2017.

People seem to forget that early consoles had hardware upgrades mid market and very few people were confused about them. N64 expansion pack added a better GPU into the console, Sega 32X had a new CPU and GPU

The 64 expansion pack was just 4 mb of additional RAM not a new GPU. Nintendo did everything right with the expansion pack. It wasn't crazy expensive and the first game to actually require its use was donkey kong 64 which actually included the pack.

The other games that required it weren't released until at least 2 years after the pack came out which gave it time to saturate the market more. Despite all these great decisions, the pack still wasn't popular or really notable in the life of the console.

As others have stated, the 32X was such garbage it's not even worth mentioning. Long story short: splitting your consumer base in the console market has thus far proven to be not a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 99 Old 10-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbernewb View Post

Cartridge format sealed its fate, to make higher graphical fidelity bigger cartridge size was needed, making it expensive, so devs didnt realy try to utilise the hardware because, would have made for bigger memory size making it expensive thumb.gif

True, I forgot about the cartridge cost being much higher. I remember when I bought sonic the hedgehog 3 from toys r us back in the day, (yes I bought it new lol) it was $65.00.

"Watch this place six months from now.....All of a sudden the "***" fans will claim it's not about who has the fastest card....#greenteam"

Cards to date: GTX 580 1.5gb -- GTX 590 Limited Edition -- GTX 580 3gb SLI -- GTX 670 SuperClocked 4gb SLI -- GTX 670 SuperClocked 4gb 3 Way SLI -- GTX 680 4gb SLI -- GTX 680 4gb 3 Way SLI -- GTX Titan SLI -- GTX 780Ti Superclocked SLI -- GTX Titan X SuperClocked SLI
post #85 of 99 Old 10-26-2015, 09:07 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 144
lol, won't happen. The ONLY thing I see them changing is a new Blu-Ray drive with Ultra HD support.
post #86 of 99 Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 AM
733mhz

Liked: 41
This could work. But only if all games are still coded for the lower specs.

If better hardware is simply more memory, faster processor and requires no architectural changes meanwhile providing a good fps boost then there are no drawbacks.

Be Excellent To Each Other!
post #87 of 99 Old 10-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Console Gamer

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

No thank you, I have a $1000 5.1 system for a reason.
I shouldn't have to ghetto my console. It is on a open table with noting to keep the heat in. My Xbox One is on a shelf on the other hand, and doesn't make a sound.

Clearly Sony undersized the heatsink on the PS4.

The fan noise wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have an annoying tone to it. The Forced air sound of the blower is what kills it.

Sure it may be fixed with the future PS4 Slim, but really shouldn't have been this bad in the first place. Granted it is nothing like the original 360.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8lVQ4_UIsI

Now for me, it only happens when gaming. Dashboard is quiet.

Your heatsink size is fine, the thermal paste application is the flaw.

Quote:
Console Fanboy / PC gamer
AMD Fanboy / Nvidia Owner
post #88 of 99 Old 10-26-2015, 09:50 AM

Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlindDeafMute View Post

True, I forgot about the cartridge cost being much higher. I remember when I bought sonic the hedgehog 3 from toys r us back in the day, (yes I bought it new lol) it was $65.00.
EXACTLY.. that would be like 100 bucks for a standard edition game today thumb.gif
post #89 of 99 Old 10-26-2015, 10:18 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 34
I routinely saw SNES games selling for $65 to $75 at toys r'us back in the day. Today's gamers don't know what they're complaining about when they moan about $60 games.

post #90 of 99 Old 10-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbernewb View Post

EXACTLY.. that would be like 100 bucks for a standard edition game today thumb.gif

It was crazy expensive. But when I brought it home OMG IT WAS AWESOME! Love me some old school sonic. biggrin.gif

"Watch this place six months from now.....All of a sudden the "***" fans will claim it's not about who has the fastest card....#greenteam"

Cards to date: GTX 580 1.5gb -- GTX 590 Limited Edition -- GTX 580 3gb SLI -- GTX 670 SuperClocked 4gb SLI -- GTX 670 SuperClocked 4gb 3 Way SLI -- GTX 680 4gb SLI -- GTX 680 4gb 3 Way SLI -- GTX Titan SLI -- GTX 780Ti Superclocked SLI -- GTX Titan X SuperClocked SLI

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page