Looking to upgrade my home fileserver. - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 72 Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 239
PERC 6/i has 2 SAS ports, with 4 channels each...meaning you can connect up to 8 SAS or SATA drives. The Dell PERC 6/i will only support drives up to 2TB in size (they will NOT support 3TB drives).

The ports on the PERC 6/i are called SFF-8484, so you will either need SFF-8484 to x4 SATA, or SFF-8484 to SFF-8087 (if your drive caddies have SAS ports).

Unless you are using SSDs, you will not notice a difference in SATA II vs SATA III drives (at least in the perspective of transfer over the SATA port -- SATA III drives are newer technology with more dense platters, and smarter firmware which may also increase performance very slightly). Make sure you buy a BBU (Battery Backup Unit) along with the card, and you will be very happy with your purchase. If buying the card and BBU used from eBay, or the likes...expect to spend $60-100, which is a great deal, and another $10-25 or so per cable.

As far as drives, I would recommend getting Toshiba DT01ACA200's (~$100-115), 2TB drives. SATA III, CCTL (same as TLER), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM....where as the WD Red's have "Intellipower" and are really around an average of 5900 RPM (and cost a few dollars more). The Toshiba DT01ACA200 is literally a relabeled Hitachi 7K3000 (which it says Hitachi on the label), and I would take a Hitachi Deskstar over any consumer grade WD or Seagate, so I expect the same for the Toshibas (which my first Toshiba DT01ACA300 -- 3TB drive, is on it's way).

Good luck with your upgrade!
PuffinMyLye likes this.

IT Certifications (Click to show)
Splunk Certfied Architect
Splunk Certified Admin
Splunk Certified Knowledge Manager
MCSE: Server Infrastructure
MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure
MCSE: Private Cloud
MCSA: Windows 7
MCSA: Windows 8
MCSA: Server 2008R2
MCSA: Server 2012
MCITP: Virtualization Administrator
MCP: System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
MCP: System Center Configuration Manager 2007
MCP: Windows 7 & Office 2012 Deployment
Citrix Certified Administrator: XenApp 6.5
Citrix Certified Administrator: XenDesktop 5.6
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Net+
CompTIA Security+
Certified Double-Take Professional

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 72 Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 81
IBM M1015 is another good eBay option. Rebranded LSI 9220i.

Though, in general, as others have stated SATA 6.0 mechanical drives on SATA 3.0 ports is no big deal and you are not sacrificing any real-world performance.
PuffinMyLye likes this.

post #13 of 72 Old 01-01-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonbob View Post

PERC 6/i has 2 SAS ports, with 4 channels each...meaning you can connect up to 8 SAS or SATA drives. The Dell PERC 6/i will only support drives up to 2TB in size (they will NOT support 3TB drives).
The ports on the PERC 6/i are called SFF-8484, so you will either need SFF-8484 to x4 SATA, or SFF-8484 to SFF-8087 (if your drive caddies have SAS ports).
Unless you are using SSDs, you will not notice a difference in SATA II vs SATA III drives (at least in the perspective of transfer over the SATA port -- SATA III drives are newer technology with more dense platters, and smarter firmware which may also increase performance very slightly). Make sure you buy a BBU (Battery Backup Unit) along with the card, and you will be very happy with your purchase. If buying the card and BBU used from eBay, or the likes...expect to spend $60-100, which is a great deal, and another $10-25 or so per cable.
As far as drives, I would recommend getting Toshiba DT01ACA200's (~$100-115), 2TB drives. SATA III, CCTL (same as TLER), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM....where as the WD Red's have "Intellipower" and are really around an average of 5900 RPM (and cost a few dollars more). The Toshiba DT01ACA200 is literally a relabeled Hitachi 7K3000 (which it says Hitachi on the label), and I would take a Hitachi Deskstar over any consumer grade WD or Seagate, so I expect the same for the Toshibas (which my first Toshiba DT01ACA300 -- 3TB drive, is on it's way).
Good luck with your upgrade!

Thank you very much for that detailed reply. Do you happen to know what kind of warranty Toshiba has on their HDD's?

EDIT: I think I read they only come with a 1 year warranty. That's a little discouraging compared to the 3 year warranty the WD Reds come with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleyvillain View Post

IBM M1015 is another good eBay option. Rebranded LSI 9220i.
Though, in general, as others have stated SATA 6.0 mechanical drives on SATA 3.0 ports is no big deal and you are not sacrificing any real-world performance.

Thanks I will consider that during my search.

skull.gif[Official] Delidded Crewman skull.gif
tonguesmiley.gif5.5Ghz Validation tonguesmiley.gif

No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. ~ Socrates
OCN Workout/Fitness Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 72 Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

Thank you very much for that detailed reply. Do you happen to know what kind of warranty Toshiba has on their HDD's?
EDIT: I think I read they only come with a 1 year warranty. That's a little discouraging compared to the 3 year warranty the WD Reds come with.

Good point...I don't know for sure what the length of warranty is, but I know Newegg says 1 year. I have seen other articles list it as 2 years, and even some say 3 years. I don't know if it varies based on where you buy it or what, but now I want to find out for sure.

EDIT:
http://storage.toshiba.com/storagesolutions/pc-notebook/dt01aca-series#

Toshibas website (Specifications tab, near the bottom) lists warranty at 2 years (from date of purchase). Good enough for me, personally.

Splunk Certified Admin
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Net+
CompTIA Security+

post #15 of 72 Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Good point...I don't know for sure what the length of warranty is, but I know Newegg says 1 year. I have seen other articles list it as 2 years, and even some say 3 years. I don't know if it varies based on where you buy it or what, but now I want to find out for sure.
EDIT:
http://storage.toshiba.com/storagesolutions/pc-notebook/dt01aca-series#
Toshibas website (Specifications tab, near the bottom) lists warranty at 2 years (from date of purchase). Good enough for me, personally.

Let me know if you get any kind of confirmation. I'm looking to purchase my drives later tonight thumb.gif.

No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. ~ Socrates
OCN Workout/Fitness Club
post #16 of 72 Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

I just edited my previous post, in case you didn't see it. 2 Year warranty for Toshiba drives. Faster spindle, so I would think the Toshiba would perform slightly better than the RED.

Splunk Certified Admin
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Net+
CompTIA Security+

post #17 of 72 Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I just edited my previous post, in case you didn't see it. 2 Year warranty for Toshiba drives. Faster spindle, so I would think the Toshiba would perform slightly better than the RED.

Thanks for that info. Where did you read that these drives were re-branded Hitachis? Always wanted to get Hitachis but the price was preventative.

OCN Workout/Fitness Club
post #18 of 72 Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Quote:

Thanks for that info. Where did you read that these drives were re-branded Hitachis? Always wanted to get Hitachis but the price was preventative.

I currently have 5 Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB drives in a RAID 5 and I love these drives. This is the reason I have high hopes and expectations for the Toshiba line.

I will try to find the article, but in short...Hitachi was purchased by WDC, but to satisfy the FTC they sold the consumer line to Toshiba (aka, Hitachi Deskstar) while WDC kept the enterprise and 2.5" line (Ultrastars).

Toshiba had the DT01ACA100 (1TB) prior to this buyout, but that was the largest drive they had. Afterword, they came out with the DT01ACA150 (1.5TB), DT01ACA200 (2TB), and DT01ACA300 (3TB).

Take a look at the DT01ACA300 on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149408&Tpk=dt01aca300

Pull up all the pictures, and look at the second picture. Zoom in, look to the right center of the label (down below the manufacture date, and above the solid black line)...what does it say? Hitachi. (Top left corner of the drive label says Toshiba). It even says very clearly:
"MADE IN CHINA BY Hitachi Global Storage Products (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd."

Which makes sense since Toshiba not only owns the rights to the name, they got their manufacturing plants, patents, and all IP for the Deskstar line.

Once I get my 3TB drive (should be by Thursday), I am going to do a review video/pictures, because I really think they are going to be great drives (I plan to have 22 + 2 hot spare, in a RAID 60 in my NUS server -- which is linked in my sig).

I will try to find some articles listing all this out.

EDIT:

LINKS:
http://www.techspot.com/news/46396-western-digital-cleared-to-buy-hitachi-gst-with-conditions.html
http://www.wdc.com/en/company/hgst/
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/wd-toshiba-hdd-hard-drive,14858.html
DarkPhoenix likes this.

Splunk Certified Admin
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Net+
CompTIA Security+

post #19 of 72 Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Quote:

I currently have 5 Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB drives in a RAID 5 and I love these drives. This is the reason I have high hopes and expectations for the Toshiba line.

I will try to find the article, but in short...Hitachi was purchased by WDC, but to satisfy the FTC they sold the consumer line to Toshiba (aka, Hitachi Deskstar) while WDC kept the enterprise and 2.5" line (Ultrastars).

Toshiba had the DT01ACA100 (1TB) prior to this buyout, but that was the largest drive they had. Afterword, they came out with the DT01ACA150 (1.5TB), DT01ACA200 (2TB), and DT01ACA300 (3TB).

Take a look at the DT01ACA300 on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149408&Tpk=dt01aca300

Pull up all the pictures, and look at the second picture. Zoom in, look to the right center of the label (down below the manufacture date, and above the solid black line)...what does it say? Hitachi. (Top left corner of the drive label says Toshiba). It even says very clearly:
"MADE IN CHINA BY Hitachi Global Storage Products (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd."

Which makes sense since Toshiba not only owns the rights to the name, they got their manufacturing plants, patents, and all IP for the Deskstar line.

Once I get my 3TB drive (should be by Thursday), I am going to do a review video/pictures, because I really think they are going to be great drives (I plan to have 22 + 2 hot spare, in a RAID 60 in my NUS server -- which is linked in my sig).

I will try to find some articles listing all this out.

EDIT:

LINKS:
http://www.techspot.com/news/46396-western-digital-cleared-to-buy-hitachi-gst-with-conditions.html
http://www.wdc.com/en/company/hgst/
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/wd-toshiba-hdd-hard-drive,14858.html

You're the man. Thanks.

OCN Workout/Fitness Club
post #20 of 72 Old 01-01-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I've been looking at the Perc 6i cards on ebay and some seem to come with batteries and others don't. Is the battery needed? I've never used a RAID card before so I'm not very familiar with them.

OCN Workout/Fitness Club

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page