Need storage server advice - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 06-04-2016, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
4.0 GHz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I have an older case thats got 24-sata 3.5" spots on it, thinking I could make a new storage server but I need a little advice.

So far Im going to run the motherboard from a Dell T3500 in it with an Intel I7 920 and 12 gigs of ram.

What I need help with is, I need recommendations for a decent but not super pricey raid controller.

Thing Is, I havent used one in years, so I dont understand what cables I will need, I only plan to start out with about 8 drives, and add later, so Ill only need one controller to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I suppose I should mention Im planning to run Server 2008 R2 and I wanted to use something like Stablebit drivepool- my drives wont all be the same size I dont think so Ill need to be able to add what I need as I go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-04-2016, 10:02 PM
ATI Enthusiast

Liked: 35
I run a few raids on adaptec 5000 and 6000 series controllers. I have a 5805 that has (8) 1tb drives in a raid 50 for 5.45TB usable. You can get those controllers for 30 bucks on ebay sometimes. The only drawback is that that series is only sata 2. For spinning disks that doesn't really matter.

I also have a 6405, the 6000 series can run sata 3 and identifies ssds properly. Also has support for ssd caching an array. I have mine in my main gaming rig with (4) 120GB samsung 850 EVOs in raid 0. The 6000 series cards still catch a few hundred bucks. I got mine for 70 on ebay but that was a rare low price. The 6000 is only really worth it if you're running SSDs.

I have also run 5405 cards before I got the 6405 with (4) 160GB velociraptors on them.

They both run PCI-e x8

I have had excellent luck with those series adaptec cards and you can't beat the freaking prices. There are different ones in those series that will handle more drives too.

I really love these cards
post #3 of 19 Old 06-04-2016, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
4.0 GHz

This is going to be old school, just sata 2 hard disks in a big pool, no SSD's so that might work- trying to find a good deal on controller battery and cables, cables are my big worry, i dont really understand the newer controllers style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 06-05-2016, 07:50 PM
ATI Enthusiast

All of the adaptec cards I have used have one or multiple "mini SAS" connectors on them, each of them is good for 4 sata devices. You just get these cables that have a mini SAS on one end and 4 regualar sata connectors on the other end. On my 8 drive array, there's just two of those fanout cables. I think other brands use the same cables.

Here's one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Internal-Mini-SAS-SFF8087-Int-MS-1M4S/dp/B001L9DU88

I buy all this stuff on ebay but I figured that would be a more stable link.

None of mine have batteries, those seem to jack the price of the controller. I run UPS units on all of the computers though.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-06-2016, 09:25 AM

If you're going to use something like Stablebit for your data protection and drive pooling, why use RAID at all?

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #6 of 19 Old 06-06-2016, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
4.0 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreitba View Post

If you're going to use something like Stablebit for your data protection and drive pooling, why use RAID at all?

Would you elaborate more?
post #7 of 19 Old 06-06-2016, 01:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRoNo16 View Post

Would you elaborate more?

I assume he's referring to the fact that all you need is an HBA that presents the drives to the OS (ie. a RAID card flashed to IT mode). You wouldn't configure RAID at the card level itself and then present a pre-configured RAID array to the OS.

skull.gif[Official] Delidded Crewman skull.gif
tonguesmiley.gif5.5Ghz Validation tonguesmiley.gif

No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. ~ Socrates
OCN Workout/Fitness Club
post #8 of 19 Old 06-06-2016, 03:37 PM
ATI Enthusiast

All of the performance benefits of the RAID come from using a dedicated card. A software raid is only useful for JBOD typed situations and redundancy situations.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-06-2016, 03:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird View Post

All of the performance benefits of the RAID come from using a dedicated card. A software raid is only useful for JBOD typed situations and redundancy situations.

That's not always true, such as using ZFS solutions where the drives are presented to the OS (ie. FreeNAS) via JBOD and the vdevs/zpool configuration is what will affect your performance.

I haven't seen the OP mention what the function of this storage server will even be so it's hard to determine what kind of performance he actually needs.

skull.gif[Official] Delidded Crewman skull.gif
tonguesmiley.gif5.5Ghz Validation tonguesmiley.gif

No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. ~ Socrates
OCN Workout/Fitness Club
post #10 of 19 Old 06-06-2016, 04:11 PM
ATI Enthusiast

So I guess what I meant was, if you're not going to utilize the benefits of a RAID card then just get a regular drive controller for a software RAID otherwise it's a waste

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page