post #3241 of 4451 Old 09-25-2015, 08:44 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo89 View Post

Yeah I was looking at that one, I might pick one up at lowes or walmart they're about 17 bucks or so.

Check the versions first, I believe it's 4420 or 4400, the one I linked is newer and has slightly more features then the older one for not much more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 4451 Old 09-26-2015, 06:23 AM
Folding@work

Liked: 29
Wish I lived in the US because I'm going to be almost giving up some G5s DL360, DL380, DL385 and a StorageWorks MSA20 quite soon to make room in my rack for my 2 DL160 G6 and 3 DL380 G7 servers coming in with my new 16 bay SAS2/SATA3 external enclosure. The G5s are loaded with Harpertown CPUs (and the lower power E5450 quad core 3 Ghz variant) with 32 Gb of FBDIMM. All have either 512mb Smart Array P800 or P400 SAS raid controllers, one even has a Smart Array P410 1Gb. I really just wish someone could like give me a small something and pay shipping to get them out of my house so I won't end up piling them up in the garage...

I have 2 DL380 G5, 2 DL360 G5 and a DL385 G5 with 2 Opteron quad 2.3 Ghz and 32Gb of DDR2 ECC with a SmartArray P800 512mb and a second U320 SmartArray 6404 320 Mb connecting the StorageWorks MSA20 SAN that support up to 24Tb (12x2Tb SATA) HDDs
post #3243 of 4451 Old 09-29-2015, 06:58 PM
Folding Fanatic

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawelr98 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

My HP ML350 G5 codename "MIR"
Exact specs:
-2xE5420
-20GB FB-DIMM (2x2GB + 4x4GB)
Storage:
-3x143GB 10K RPM SAS Standalone-storage/VMs
-2x73GB 15K RPM SAS RAID0-Arma III server
-2x40GB 7.2K RPM SATA RAID0-OS drive

I had to perform a lot of mods to make it running properly.
-Bigger radiators for RAID controller and SouthBridge
-DIY backup battery to enable 128MB cache for RAID controller
-HD5450 with PCIE X4 riser-to make OS less laggy and to run host modern games servers
-FB-DIMM cooling modification, lowered ram temperature by 5-10°C (depending on stick)

this makes me so happy.

also I should soon have a new server to post,building it currently.

[Build Log] - Pizza Under the Sea - SuperNAS - Caselabs/Seasonic/Supermicro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3244 of 4451 Old 09-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 80
Anyone running raspberrypi torrent box? If so, how is yours set up? I have some extra internal HDD, and extra rpi lying around.

If you come across cute ginger girls and have pics pm me them :3
<In my avatar, IDK but TheODDone gave me this one <33
post #3245 of 4451 Old 10-02-2015, 12:39 PM
I was doing it before it was cool

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 415

Any HP server buffs in the house? I'm thinking of buying a DL series for home use and want to spend under £1000.

After quite a bit of research the DL80 seems like the best option. This config specifically:

http://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/servers/0004144830

8x 3.5" hot-swap bays

1.6GHz 6-core Xeon

4GB 2133MHz RAM

Dual GbE

They are doing a buy one get one free offer at the moment. If you buy two servers, HP will give you cash back for the second one. If I then sell one, I'm effectively only paying the tax for one server.

http://www.uk.insight.com/content/dam/insight/EMEA/uk/promotions/PA0151_-_BOGOF_Gen9_Servers_Sept_15_v1_2.pdf

Thoughts?

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #3246 of 4451 Old 10-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Networking Nut

Liked: 7
Quote:

Anyone running raspberrypi torrent box? If so, how is yours set up? I have some extra internal HDD, and extra rpi lying around.

Have Pi's, have a torrent box. Just not a Pi Torrent Box. In terms of software I use nothing special, just rTorrent with a ruTorrent Web-Front end running on top of Debian.

My only concern with the Pi and HDD's is power. The USB ports are very limited to what amperage they can supply and its usually just enough for a 2.5" drive in an external caddy. But I wouldn't risk two drives, unless you can externally power them.
post #3247 of 4451 Old 10-03-2015, 12:06 PM
I am Lrrr, ruler of Omicron Persei 8!

Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanginator View Post

Quote:

Have Pi's, have a torrent box. Just not a Pi Torrent Box. In terms of software I use nothing special, just rTorrent with a ruTorrent Web-Front end running on top of Debian.

My only concern with the Pi and HDD's is power. The USB ports are very limited to what amperage they can supply and its usually just enough for a 2.5" drive in an external caddy. But I wouldn't risk two drives, unless you can externally power them.

The other issu (at least with the Pi, not sure about the Pi 2) is that the ethernet and usb run on the same bus, so they fight with each other for the resources. This can make network become unstable, and hdd throughput can be diminished. If you're looking for a torrent box using an ARM chip, maybe look at something that isn't a Pi (some have dedicated buses for the ethernet and then for the usb controller).

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #3248 of 4451 Old 10-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Folding@work

Quote:
Originally Posted by twerk View Post

Any HP server buffs in the house? I'm thinking of buying a DL series for home use and want to spend under £1000.

After quite a bit of research the DL80 seems like the best option. This config specifically:
http://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/servers/0004144830

8x 3.5" hot-swap bays
1.6GHz 6-core Xeon
4GB 2133MHz RAM
Dual GbE

They are doing a buy one get one free offer at the moment. If you buy two servers, HP will give you cash back for the second one. If I then sell one, I'm effectively only paying the tax for one server.
http://www.uk.insight.com/content/dam/insight/EMEA/uk/promotions/PA0151_-_BOGOF_Gen9_Servers_Sept_15_v1_2.pdf

Thoughts?

I consider myself to be an HP enthusiast. I have about 10 Proliant G6 and G7 servers that are a mix of DL160 G6, DL180 G6, DL360 G6 & G7 and DL380 G7 series.

The deal you are talking about is a really good one I think, I don't own any G9 series server but we have them at work and they are really good so far and this particular DL80 G9 server seem to be good but will require to be upgraded after you purchased it (Like more RAM, hard drives, there is no real raid controller as the one specified is the Smart Array B140i aka Intel built in iRST which does not support SAS or any advanced raid functions.) At the end you will end up paying a lot more to get the server to a performance level (If you want to add a second CPU you'll need to buy a specific HP heatsink made for that server and a the matching CPU... Usually they don't go cheap for new servers. Then the HP Smart Array SAS controllers are a little expensive as well if you look for the version that is designed for that specific server. You will want to have a decent amount of cache and a battery on it as well to help with I/O) so I guess at the end you end up paying back the money you saved from selling the other server and getting the cash back from HP... All those small amounts you'll end up spending to put those missing components in the server will add up to the value you'll save but you will have the advantage of getting you a brand new server which is I think a big plus as well as having a lot more performance and the latest tech in it.
post #3249 of 4451 Old 10-04-2015, 02:18 AM
I was doing it before it was cool

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post

I consider myself to be an HP enthusiast. I have about 10 Proliant G6 and G7 servers that are a mix of DL160 G6, DL180 G6, DL360 G6 & G7 and DL380 G7 series.

The deal you are talking about is a really good one I think, I don't own any G9 series server but we have them at work and they are really good so far and this particular DL80 G9 server seem to be good but will require to be upgraded after you purchased it (Like more RAM, hard drives, there is no real raid controller as the one specified is the Smart Array B140i aka Intel built in iRST which does not support SAS or any advanced raid functions.) At the end you will end up paying a lot more to get the server to a performance level (If you want to add a second CPU you'll need to buy a specific HP heatsink made for that server and a the matching CPU... Usually they don't go cheap for new servers. Then the HP Smart Array SAS controllers are a little expensive as well if you look for the version that is designed for that specific server. You will want to have a decent amount of cache and a battery on it as well to help with I/O) so I guess at the end you end up paying back the money you saved from selling the other server and getting the cash back from HP... All those small amounts you'll end up spending to put those missing components in the server will add up to the value you'll save but you will have the advantage of getting you a brand new server which is I think a big plus as well as having a lot more performance and the latest tech in it.

Awesome, thank you for your input. For the moment I think I'll stick with the single CPU and upgrade to 8GB of RAM, so that shouldn't cost me much. I'll probably grab a H240 HBA controller for the SAS and RAID 5 ability. It's £182.39 at the moment. It's not great but it's good enough for my current uses.

Do you know if HP servers come with the hot-swap caddies, or do you have to buy them separately?

I had a pretty hard time picking a server, they have quite a few models in the offer. The ones in red have 2.5" bays, I already have some 3.5" drives I can use so it will save me quite a bit of cash. The DL80 seemed like the best option simply because of the 8 x 3.5" bays allowing for more expansion in the future. If you disagree then please let me know if there's a better buy.

(click to expand)

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #3250 of 4451 Old 10-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Folding@work

Quote:
Originally Posted by twerk View Post

Awesome, thank you for your input. For the moment I think I'll stick with the single CPU and upgrade to 8GB of RAM, so that shouldn't cost me much. I'll probably grab a H240 HBA controller for the SAS and RAID 5 ability. It's £182.39 at the moment. It's not great but it's good enough for my current uses.

Do you know if HP servers come with the hot-swap caddies, or do you have to buy them separately?

I had a pretty hard time picking a server, they have quite a few models in the offer. The ones in red have 2.5" bays, I already have some 3.5" drives I can use so it will save me quite a bit of cash. The DL80 seemed like the best option simply because of the 8 x 3.5" bays allowing for more expansion in the future. If you disagree then please let me know if there's a better buy.

(click to expand)

Hi,
I agree with you the 3.5" drives are the easiest to go with and I always try to go with those even when I get a server now (I got 2 DL380 G7 in the last month and went for the 3.5" versions).
You will also need to get the caddies to fit your drives in the server yes. they are not so hard to find so you can probably get some on ebay for a decent price. I got myself more than I needed both for 2.5" and 3.5" drives and now I have a box full of them. Luckily they are the same for DL series from G5 to G7 so I kept them when drives failed.

Let me know if you have other questions smile.gif have a nice day. thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page