[Official] Fractal Design Node 304 Owners Club - Page 632 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #6311 of 7122 Old 09-30-2015, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Node 304 Owners, thumb.gif

I want to build me a new Homeserver. and i think the Node 304 is perfect for this purpose.
The Server should handle a NAS/VM-Host (1-2 Game-Servers)/Mediastation for the TVs
and Smartphone/Tablets and for rendering. What do you think about the parts (Suggestions welcome)?: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3s93YJ

5 x WD RED 3 TB + 2 SSDs (128GB = OS + 1 TB VM-Storange) are already here. smile.gif

In some parts I'm still uncertain:
  • PSU (i wanne to use the Bequiet STRAIGHT POWER 10 | 400W - Gold @ ~ 12dB)
    + 90° SATA-Power Adapter-Cable. Any other quit and good ones with matching cables?
    The two in the first post are pretty loud (i heard) and its now almost 2 years later.
  • CPU-Cooler Noctua NH-U12S (would he fit nicely?)
    - I think an AiO would be nice too (more space) but i the pumps are normally pretty loud.
    And they more often fail than Air Coolers. (other Suggestions?)

The Server only runs from 7:00am to ~2:00am not 24/7. So i think ECC is not necessary.
But it should be quiet and run cool. rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6312 of 7122 Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdTt View Post

I tried a quick search of the thread but my search powers are weak (old man here).

Can anyone please tell me what the max. GPU length is in the Node 304 if I have the HDD cage installed and a <160mm PSU?

thanks
DT

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black

post #6313 of 7122 Old 09-30-2015, 02:27 PM

Thanks but that doesn't help. I have already looked at the product information on fractal's website already and it doesn't answer my question. It says how short the GPU has to be if I have a long PSU (170mm max for PSUs >160mm), and how long the GPU can be if I remove the HDD cages (up to 310mm), but it doesn't actually say the max GPU length if I want to have the HDD cage in (hence why I'm asking Node 304 owners for the information)

Concentrate and Ask Again.
http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6314 of 7122 Old 09-30-2015, 09:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks but that doesn't help. I have already looked at the product information on fractal's website already and it doesn't answer my question. It says how short the GPU has to be if I have a long PSU (170mm max for PSUs >160mm), and how long the GPU can be if I remove the HDD cages (up to 310mm), but it doesn't actually say the max GPU length if I want to have the HDD cage in (hence why I'm asking Node 304 owners for the information)

AFAIK if you want all HDD cages in there the only way to really avoid the one where the GPU is would be to use an ITX-size graphics card. This form factor is common enough nowadays with several GTX 960 and GTX 970 models plus a number of AMDs, you just need to get the one with the most efficient cooling. Plus an exhaust fan to pull the hot air out of the case since none of these are reference/blower coolers and will send the hot air all around the interior of the case.
post #6315 of 7122 Old 09-30-2015, 11:05 PM

okay, I'm thinking that maybe I'm asking the wrong question.

To anyone out there who has the HDD cages installed in their node 304, and who also has a GPU > 170mm... could you please tell me what make/model your GPU is?

And if it's not too much trouble - would you mind guesstimating the gap left between the end of your GPU and the HDD cage?

thanks.

Concentrate and Ask Again.
http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html
post #6316 of 7122 Old 10-01-2015, 08:29 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 17
Quote:

okay, I'm thinking that maybe I'm asking the wrong question.

To anyone out there who has the HDD cages installed in their node 304, and who also has a GPU > 170mm... could you please tell me what make/model your GPU is?

And if it's not too much trouble - would you mind guesstimating the gap left between the end of your GPU and the HDD cage?

thanks.

I don't meet either of the criteria, but I think I understand your question.

If you plan to populate all the HDD cages then any GPU greater than 170mm isn't going to work. I went through the gallery view of this thread and could not find a single picture that had a) all HDD cages installed b) a gpu that went past the edge of the mobo(170mm). With how densely the compact all the drives into the HDD cages there seems to be no room to try and slip an ultra slim card between HDDs. It also looks like the HDD cages come further to the back of the case than the PSU does, basically right to the edge of the mobo.

Again I don't have first hand knowledge of the specific scenario you are asking for but wanted to attempt to get you an answer.

I also found this picture:

post #6317 of 7122 Old 10-01-2015, 11:05 AM

Liked: 233
Well, a low-profile card could work...

@DdTt, you might get more help if you clarified further: do you mean you'll be using all three drive cages? What components/how many drives are you planning on using?

Unless you are using >4x3.5" drives there's no reason you should need all three drive cages, and 2.5" drives can be mounted almost anywhere with some creativity and velcro.

I am a Marxist. Not the Sanders/Sweden/state bureacracy kind, but the workers' democratic control over the means of production kind.

I often use the debates I get into on these forums to demonstrate logical fallacies to to my students and debate teams I coach. Beware - your arguments are under scrutiny of adolescents and teenagers!
post #6318 of 7122 Old 10-03-2015, 03:26 PM

Hi Guys,

i think my first post was missed out because it took almost two days until it was unlocked. rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rc3d View Post

Hey Node 304 Owners, thumb.gif

I want to build me a new Homeserver. and i think the Node 304 is perfect for this purpose.
The Server should handle a NAS/VM-Host (1-2 Game-Servers)/Mediastation for the TVs
and Smartphone/Tablets and for rendering. What do you think about the parts (Suggestions welcome)?:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3s93YJ

5 x WD RED 3 TB + 2 SSDs (128GB = OS + 1 TB VM-Storange) are already here. smile.gif

In some parts I'm still uncertain:
  • PSU (i wanne to use the Bequiet STRAIGHT POWER 10 | 400W - Gold @ ~ 12dB)
    + 90° SATA-Power Adapter-Cable. Any other quit and good ones with matching cables?
    The two in the first post are pretty loud (i heard) and its now almost 2 years later.
  • CPU-Cooler Noctua NH-U12S (would he fit nicely?)
    - I think an AiO would be nice too (more space) but i the pumps are normally pretty loud.
    And they more often fail than Air Coolers. (other Suggestions?)

The Server only runs from 7:00am to ~2:00am not 24/7. So i think ECC is not necessary.
But it should be quiet and run cool. rolleyes.gif

I hope you can help me out. smile.gif
post #6319 of 7122 Old 10-03-2015, 04:59 PM

Liked: 233
What OS? What filesystem?

If you're looking into ZFS or similar I'd highly encourage investing in ECC and, at the very least, a UPS.

(ECC has little to do with 24/7 insurance and everything to do with data integrity (error correcting).)

Edit: Also, you might want to look into a PSU with more SATA connections for cable management's sake, but you can always get a molex adapter.

I am a Marxist. Not the Sanders/Sweden/state bureacracy kind, but the workers' democratic control over the means of production kind.

I often use the debates I get into on these forums to demonstrate logical fallacies to to my students and debate teams I coach. Beware - your arguments are under scrutiny of adolescents and teenagers!
post #6320 of 7122 Old 10-03-2015, 05:53 PM

Thats true. The operating system is still the question. In any case, Windows (NTFS) with Drivepool (from
stablebit) who i bought a few years ago (and love it). The question is, if i install Windows and on it some
VirtualBox/VMWare for some VMs (see above) or better some ESXi and virtualise everything. Yes the PSU
from Bequiet would be nice (quit and efficient) but unfortunately it has bad Cable features.

On the PSU would be one of the three (have all i need, i think):

• Cooler Master VS-Series V450SM 450W ATX 2.31 (RS450-AMAAG1)
  • Sea Sonic G-Series G-450 450W ATX 2.3 (SSR-450RM)
  • Enermax Revolution X't 430W ATX 2.4 (ERX430AWT)

What would you think about the CPU cooler?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page