Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi,

a friend uses an old desktop which is dying, generally just for web browsing (no gaming ever) and office.

I know, a laptop can do all that, but he likes to have 3+ HDD's plus an SSD (try fitting that into a laptop). The purpose of having several HDD is raid 1 for backup of important documents.

I'm trying to put together a parts list, a gfx card isn't needed since I'm gonna just have it use intel integrated graphics which is more than enough for web browsing etc.

Parts:

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 120 Advanced or BitFenix Prodigy
Mobo: (GIGABYTE) GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU: Advice? I'd like it to be i5 for future-proof, but i'm not sure if I should go ivy-bridge or sandy-bridge. I'm worried about the heat that ivybridge puts out compared to sandybridge.

PSU: Already have a spare modular HX750.
SSD: Samsung 830 64GB
HDD: 3x WD caviar green 2 TB
Cooler: Coolermaster GeminII S524 (low profile)
RAM: 8GB Kingston hyper-x genesis low profile.

Will all that fit together ok? My two primary concerns: cooling and noise levels. I'd like it to run quiet (think htpc quiet) but have enough cooling because here in Shanghai ambient temps reach 30+c during the summer. Overclocking the cpu isn't necessary given the intended use of the rig, but given ambient temps I think the aftermarket cooler is worth-while. As for the case, i'm not 100% on it, have no idea about its noise levels or cooling.

Please chime-in! Thanks for all advice, comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Zap
4.0ghz

Liked: 198
First thing that needs to be said is this. RAID is not a backup. RAID 1 will not protect against data corruption, data destructive malware/viruses, accidental deletion, file system problems, etc. Instead of doing RAID, have an external drive or NAS as a separate copy.

Ivy Bridge draws less power and creates less heat. The CPU just runs a bit hotter when overclocked, due to lesser heat transfer between the cores and the heatspreader. Definitely go Ivy Bridge. General web browsing? Unless getting a deal on a Core i5, just go with a Core i3.

For quiet, allow your components to run hotter. That's all there is to it. Under normal conditions (as in not overclocked and not running stress tests) computer components can tolerate quite high temperatures.

Why the Gigabyte board? Not overclocking, so get an H77 chipset board. Asus and ASRock makes some nice ones, unless the friend actually needs the WiFi, then get the Gigabyte H77.

Does it need to be ITX? Can save some money going micro ATX, and the smaller micro ATX mini towers are the same size as the Prodigy.

Oyaji

post #3 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Liked: 14
hey,

thanks for your input,

I already bought the bitfenix prodigy, so can't really change to micro-atx. The case seems to fit the bill as it's reasonably portable, low priced and can fit a several HDD's. I think it'll have better airflow that some of the other smaller itx cases (i agree this case is micro-atx sized). Still overall small though.

Apart from cost I don't see any real advantages to go micro atx route, and the itx boards available are pretty much fully featured which is quite amazing given how small they are.

But how is raid not backup? A HDD can just die and if you only have one you do lose all of your files. What are the chances of 3 drives all dying at the same time? As for viruses etc, the OS is going to run on an SSD anyway. Accidental file deletion is an issue, but often files can be recovered from mechanical HDD's quite easily if quick action is taken, and really it just takes diligence on part of the user not to delete the wrong files. You can't 'idiot proof ' a system completely.

I also have a spare i5 2500k, so to save costs i'm going to put that in and give it a 4.5 overclock, sandybridge runs cooler than ivy when overclocked anyway and I have a spare aftermarket heatsink too that'll fit in this micro-atx sized case without issue. Not necessary at all, but why not lol? It means the rig won't be 'slow' for many, many years to come given its non-gaming purpose. The price different between H77 and Z77 wasn't really a deal breaker so I went with asrock z77, which comes with wifi, good audio etc.

Should turn out to be a solid little rig that'll last a good 4 or 5 years. I'll enjoy this build... I currently have a massive/heavy wc rig, but I'm tempted to make my 2013 haswell build itx too, since i never sli anyway and my current rig is just not portable at all. biggrin.gif I guess that depends on what lineup of itx boards become available for haswell, but the form factor is gaining in popularity so i'm sure there'll be some good ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Zap
4.0ghz

Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

But how is raid not backup?

RAID is for uptime, not for backup. Why RAID is not a Backup Solution

Besides the reasoning, here's what the first reply said.
Quote:
DSLreports.com went down a few weeks back. An unsafe power down at the datacenter messed up their RAID array - no backups from anytime in the past two years... uh oh!

What if there is a power outage? Even if you use a UPS, what if your friend isn't at home and the UPS doesn't last the duration of the outage, and the volume on the RAID array suffers from data corruption due to the forced shutdown?

Oyaji

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page