[Build Log] Hyperion Mk.III - A Silverstone ML08 build - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 37 Old 03-25-2016, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry for the double post, but I have some observations and not really testing in earnest:

The Samsung Pro 950 does get pretty warm in the ML08. It idles between 40-42c (ambient being 21-22c), and gaming tends to push it between 50-55c it seems. I wouldn't say toasty, but considering the Mushkin drives I have in there don't seem to push past 40c (usually a solid 38c at all times).

The 6700k STOCK seems to push to 60c-65c+ under stress test like conditions, and the GTX 570 being an older, less efficient blower style card with limited airflow will easily jump to 80c under stress as well...

I would like to try to undervolt the 6700k some like one user did in the owner's thread and possibly new thermal paste to try and get the CPU "under control." I used 7 year old Arctic Silver 5... the stuff should be fine but I will take suggestions for a different TIM. I'm not so concerned about the GPU temps because it is not indicative of the kind of card I'll be putting into this case, and the 950pro: there's not much I can do that I would consider safe. I have considered using a couple thermal pads (or a piece of metal sandwiched between two pads) to effectively turn part of the side panel into a heatsink, but I would worry about what an accidental impact would do to the side of the case and in turn the SSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 03-26-2016, 04:59 AM

Liked: 0
Thanks for posting about the 950 Pro's heat performance. I was considering the same drive and specifically picked my mobo for m.2 NVME support.

In the end, I decided to skip the 950 Pro, chalking the heat reports up to Gen 1 issues, and especially considering the small space for it in the ML08. I'll buy the 2nd or 3rd gen when heat from the controller should be improved.
post #13 of 37 Old 03-29-2016, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if continual iterations will have as substantial of a heat drop as you think it will, but the drive might be in a more comfortable situation with a thin heat spreader perhaps. I can't imagine how hot this thing could get with a second bank of memory chips on the other side (to increase the drive capacity).

I contacted Silverstone today regarding my PSU, and they'll take the RMA request without me having to rip out all my cabling. This of course makes me VERY relieved and will have to send it to them asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 Old 04-06-2016, 12:24 AM

Great build! Thanks for sharing those photos.

Quick question, have you tried comparing GPU temps under load with the fan mod fans on vs off? I'm curious to see how much of an improvement it is and whether it's worth it to hack at the case. Would also love to see those temps for when you install a Pascal card (especially if it is an open fan card instead of stock blower).
post #15 of 37 Old 04-07-2016, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Being that the cards I have in my position are not very efficient temperature wise. I do know the 7970, even though it was running at max speed was something like 10 degrees cooler than the stock blower style of the GTX 570. I want to say it's mostly due to being able to get air more freely from the side vent, but it's something I can look into when my PSU gets back from Being RMA'd.
post #16 of 37 Old 04-27-2016, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

My PSU is back from being RMA'd and well... it's a bit quieter than before, but the new PSU (confirmed with a different serial number) still exhibits the chirping sound from time to time rather than near constantly. Still significantly better than before, but I'll continue to observe it.
post #17 of 37 Old 05-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Database Developer

Liked: 20
Nice job. I'm about to put together a build much like yours, but I'm going to throw caution to the wind on temps and boost the grade of components I throw in to the higher end. Probably will do the same mod for the fans, since my Gigabyte G1 980TI will need to breathe a bit more when it's installed, and this looks perfect to enhance it's exhaust through the top edge of the card.

I'm building for #1: a discrete streaming and encoding rig and #2: (when paired with my main rig's graphics) a powerful, portable VR machine. I did get a suggestion on the Owner's Club thread to get a Corsair SFX at 600w, rather than the Silverstone, for questions of reliability.

In other news, Microsoft sneezed today.

*Linux users countered, saying their sneezes were more secure and open source.
*Mac users said their sneezes are better, more magical, and "just work".
*Windows 7 users complained that Microsoft was forcing them to sneeze, too.
*Playstation owners deployed a list of games that include sneezing at 1080p.
*The EU sued them for trying to monopolize sneezes.
*Privacy advocates believe someone is tracking sneezes.
*Consumer advocates called it a $neeze and expect Microsoft to bill them per $neeze at some future date.
*The average human being had a normal day OBLIVIOUS to the anti-Microsoft knee jerking.
post #18 of 37 Old 05-22-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madboyv1 View Post

My PSU is back from being RMA'd and well... it's a bit quieter than before, but the new PSU (confirmed with a different serial number) still exhibits the chirping sound from time to time rather than near constantly. Still significantly better than before, but I'll continue to observe it.

I went for the Corsair SFX series. Silent.
post #19 of 37 Old 08-09-2016, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbear7 View Post

I went for the Corsair SFX series. Silent.
Glad you're enjoying it. I've gotten used to what noise my second copy makes, and even then most of the time it is drowned out by other sounds.

Time for a late update:

I still have temperature issues with the 950 Pro, which may stem from it's relative proximity to my GTX 570. The card idles at an unfortunate 45-50c, so you can only imagine how high both components go when under stress (hint, near thermal limits/throttling). Being a blower style shroud does not help the matter in regards to the GPU. With that in mind, I finally have ordered my Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming, which should be in at the end of the week. As a double fan open shroud having better access to ambient air, and having a lower TDP than the GTX 570 (180w vs 220w), my GPU temperatures should improve. I will be reseating my CPU heatsink with better and newer thermal paste to see if that helps wrangle temperatures down. Lastly, to further address heat issues with the 950 pro, I am going to look into either bleed heat directly to the case panel via copper shims and thermal padding, or if space allows some low profile chip heatsinks. Pictures of the GPU and what I decide to do with the 950pro will follow.

If I absolutely must, I may consider creating a cutout with a mesh cover on the side panel to give some air to the 950pro.

edit: To save my next post to be something more of substance, I'll update this post.

The space from the m.2 ssd and the side panel is between 8-9mm at most, 10mm would most likely hit the side panel unless you warped out the panel by a tiny bit. Because of the sliding install of the side panel, I decided it was better not to try and directly dump heat to the panel. I have purchased five 20x20x6mm chipset heatsinks and a small thermal adhesive pad from ebay (less than$9 total). I'll be putting four of those heatsinks on the 950 pro.

degree.
post #20 of 37 Old 08-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Commodore 64

Hi can you tell me how temps are with your new GTX 1080? I am personaly going to upgrade to the 1060 but I don't know if I should go with blowerstyle or open type GPU. I have not modded the case ^^

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page