post #131 of 256 Old 07-20-2016, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonablehippo View Post

Ah good :-)

Also, don't underestimate the size of the amp, its HUGE!!!

I've seen pics and videos of it etc, but its only when you physically hold it for yourself you realise what a monster it is!!!

Forgot to say when you asked about fan noise, the amp itself is quite noisy.
It has a fan in the front, but it is a standard fan type, so replacing it with an aftermarket quiet fan should be simple.

How is the gaming performance when using the GA?

Have read that desktop gpu's take a hit in performance(fps) because it only has a pci-e 3.0 x4 cable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 256 Old 07-20-2016, 02:14 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnusson2004 View Post

How is the gaming performance when using the GA?

Have read that desktop gpu's take a hit in performance(fps) because it only has a pci-e 3.0 x4 cable

Not sure as didn't actually try any games lol

But like I said before, my Firestrike score with the Alpha and 390X was only marginally lower than my previous rig with a i7 4790K + GTX 980!

So no problems :-)

Have seen a few reviews, and the performance drop is marginal. The Alienware proprietary interface offers far more bandwidth than the Thunderbolt 3 connector used for the Razer core etc.
post #133 of 256 Old 07-20-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:

Not sure as didn't actually try any games lol

But like I said before, my Firestrike score with the Alpha and 390X was only marginally lower than my previous rig with a i7 4790K + GTX 980!

So no problems :-)

Have seen a few reviews, and the performance drop is marginal. The Alienware proprietary interface offers far more bandwidth than the Thunderbolt 3 connector used for the Razer core etc.

Alot of mixed reviews I would say. Getting all cross-eyed reading them. So i'd rather get the info from you since you have it at hand?

Good to hear it is a minimal drop. Was getting a bit worried lol.

Did you use the normal nvidia desktop drivers for it or mobile drivers? (Guessing mobile drivers are only for AW laptops + AGA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 256 Old 07-20-2016, 02:50 AM

Quote:

Alot of mixed reviews I would say. Getting all cross-eyed reading them. So i'd rather get the info from you since you have it at hand?

Good to hear it is a minimal drop. Was getting a bit worried lol.

Did you use the normal nvidia desktop drivers for it or mobile drivers? (Guessing mobile drivers are only for AW laptops + AGA)

Well, the 390X is an AMD card, so just plugged it all in and the Alpha booted up and auto installed the standard AMD driver set, just as if it was a normal PC and you added a new graphics card.

There are is no special software or drivers for the amplifier itself.

Word of warning though. With Alienware laptops, they are designed to work either with or without the amp, and switching from the amp to your internal GPU is not a problem.
But with the Alpha that doesn't seem to be the case!
When I'd finished testing the amp, I shut down the Alpha and disconnected it all. But when I then booted the Alpha back up without the amp attached, I received an error message saying "Please reconnect the Alienware Graphics Amplifier to maintain system stability. Press F1 for shutdown".
I pressed F1 and the Alpha shutdown, turned it back on (still without the amp) and it booted as normal!

So it seems if your going to use the amp with the Alpha, you should leave it permanently attached.
post #135 of 256 Old 07-20-2016, 03:52 AM

Quote:

Well, the 390X is an AMD card, so just plugged it all in and the Alpha booted up and auto installed the standard AMD driver set, just as if it was a normal PC and you added a new graphics card.

There are is no special software or drivers for the amplifier itself.

Word of warning though. With Alienware laptops, they are designed to work either with or without the amp, and switching from the amp to your internal GPU is not a problem.
But with the Alpha that doesn't seem to be the case!
When I'd finished testing the amp, I shut down the Alpha and disconnected it all. But when I then booted the Alpha back up without the amp attached, I received an error message saying "Please reconnect the Alienware Graphics Amplifier to maintain system stability. Press F1 for shutdown".
I pressed F1 and the Alpha shutdown, turned it back on (still without the amp) and it booted as normal!

So it seems if your going to use the amp with the Alpha, you should leave it permanently attached.

Thank you for the warning.

Weird that they haven't made it easier to attach/detach. But as long as it works and doesn't fry the R2 I am happy.
post #136 of 256 Old 07-20-2016, 03:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 99
i think the difference is the lack of optimus for a desktop platform which means it cant automatically switch back from the accelerator to the default onboard graphics.

post #137 of 256 Old 07-20-2016, 04:03 AM

Just ordered this to go in my Amplifier!
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-turbo-6gb-gddr5-1280-core-vr-ready-graphics-card

Main reason its a good price, and also because it has the reference design "blower" fan.

The amplifier is an enclosed unit with not a lot of airflow, and most partner cards exhaust hot air straight out into the PC casing, where as the reference design will blow straight out the back! Much like the fans in the actual Alpha.
post #138 of 256 Old 07-20-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post

i think the difference is the lack of optimus for a desktop platform which means it cant automatically switch back from the accelerator to the default onboard graphics.

I think that sounds like a valid explanation.
post #139 of 256 Old 07-20-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:

Just ordered this to go in my Amplifier!
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-turbo-6gb-gddr5-1280-core-vr-ready-graphics-card

Main reason its a good price, and also because it has the reference design "blower" fan.

The amplifier is an enclosed unit with not a lot of airflow, and most partner cards exhaust hot air straight out into the PC casing, where as the reference design will blow straight out the back! Much like the fans in the actual Alpha.

Any way of monitoring gpu heat in the breadbin?

Will keep my eye out for potential heat issues, as my 980ti is the acx cooler.
post #140 of 256 Old 07-20-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:

Any way of monitoring gpu heat in the breadbin?

Will keep my eye out for potential heat issues, as my 980ti is the acx cooler.

Not sure.
The GPU temp comes from the card itself so works as normal. But I don't think there is anyway of reading the actual temperature inside the amp casing.

Mind you, as long as the GPU stays within safe thermals then it's irrelevant really lol

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page