I want a fanless ITX build - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-01-2016, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Contemplating if this can be accomplished.

Need some ideas on case, CPU cooler, GPU that would work for such a build.

Currently in the brainstorming phase so just looking for some ideas.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

“You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters. ” -Plato, Laws X

Inner liberty can be judged by how often a person feels offended, for you can no more insult a mature man than you can paint the air. -Vernon Howard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-01-2016, 03:14 PM

Liked: 14
for what purpose ? gaming?
post #3 of 12 Old 07-01-2016, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliNT77 View Post

for what purpose ? gaming?

Will be connecting 3 4K monitors to it. Some light gaming on occasion at 1080P. On the GPU side of things, the RX 460 might fit the bell since it is hinted at being a small chip capable of pushing 1080P under 75W.

“You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters. ” -Plato, Laws X

Inner liberty can be judged by how often a person feels offended, for you can no more insult a mature man than you can paint the air. -Vernon Howard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Programmer

Liked: 145
Fanless Mini-ITX builds are hard. I had one with a 13-watt Atom D525 and no GPU and it kept overheating, forcing me to leave the top off and tape a case fan in an awkward position. Using quiet low-RPM case fans is much more practical.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Programmer

Liked: 72
There are passive mini ITX cases available, for example, from HD-PLEX and from Streacom. In these cases, the case is used as the heatsink (because it's made of aluminum), and directed heat through heatpipes that are installed separately. They can be pricey, though.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-03-2016, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccRicers View Post

There are passive mini ITX cases available, for example, from HD-PLEX and from Streacom.

I looked through both. Although the CPU cooling seems adequate, the GPU cooling options are limited from both companies. May just need to settle for a low rpm fan build using the Dan A4.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-04-2016, 12:44 AM
News Fiend

Liked: 128
Send a message via MSN to DevilGear44
You're probably looking for something along the lines of a D-Frame Mini with the windows removed, a Seasonic fanless platinum PSU, a board-bending passive cooler like the TR Macho on an undervolted CPU, and for a GPU you're looking at a SIGNIFICANTLY underpowered card with a massive heatsink on it.

If you are hellbent on silence, consider watercooling. Hell, a single 120mm fan @ sub-1000 speeds would do wonders for temps in a build like I mentioned.

Electronics Technician in United States Navy
post #8 of 12 Old 07-04-2016, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGear44 View Post

If you are hellbent on silence, consider watercooling. Hell, a single 120mm fan @ sub-1000 speeds would do wonders for temps in a build like I mentioned.

The issue with watercooling is the pump noise.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Destiny is not a mystery; it's a decision

Liked: 276
Why are you so nitpicky with noise IYDMMA? My ITX build with all my fans running min underneath my desk makes it barely audible...
post #10 of 12 Old 07-13-2016, 12:35 PM
Fan Man

Liked: 76
To be honest fanless is accomplishable but pointless. Having a 400RPM-ish fan or two pushing some air makes things so much easier yet practically adds no noise.

After all this stuff comes down to individual component choices.
Would be good if the case fit 120mm tower coolers and one large fan so lot of choices there.
For PSU, PicoPSU or something like Corsair RMx series.
It's hard to say anything about the GPU but you definitely want to go sub-100W. Some RX460 AIB solutions can be practically inaudible but you could always strap an AC heatsink on the card.

Good example

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page