[ZDnet] Apple to support reps "Do not attempt to remove the malware" - Page 11 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #101 of 143 Old 05-20-2011, 09:16 AM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelouch View Post
I believe that is only an upgrade? Or does it work on a fresh install as well? I've never had any experience with the OSX 10.6 retail discs.
Eh I am fairly sure that's an upgrade...

Anyways I think it's funny how many people defend Apple.

"They don't have to if they don't want to" is not a valid argument for Apple not being truthful to their customers about the malware infection. Nor is it a valid argument for their don't deny don't confirm approach, instead of being proactive in their efforts to stop malware from installing.

All the while Microsoft has gone leaps and bounds to provide security update after security update WHEN NEEDED not whenever they feel like it (as is with Apple).
Microsoft provides free support for malware removal, even though they DON'T have to. They do it.
Most manufacturers offer far cheaper alternatives to Apple's $300 OSX reinstallation.

Apple fails in this scenario, flat out. There are hundreds of excuses, just no good ones.

I am the apostle of speed and the promoter of all that is problematicly efficient.
Decimus Marius Porcina (Luis G.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 143 Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 136
This is a relatively new problem, so give them some time to develop a paid service to fix your problems...

Off Topic: I never really had the compassion to develop emotions of hate or love for a particular product series/brand. I think it's what the companies want you to do. If something doesn't fit my needs/preferences I'll just push it aside and buy something else.
post #103 of 143 Old 05-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpenguins412 View Post
For all you haters - when a PC catches a virus, companies like HP/Dell/Sony/Lenovo won't help you remove it. That's considered end-user support, and that's why companies like Best Buy have created the geek squad.

I work in end-user support and this virus, while annoying, is far less common than the Vundo trojan or the Olmarik trojan on the computers I see almost every day. Plus, worst comes to worst, we have a license from Apple that allows to image over a fresh copy of the OS X without having to worry about driver conflicts or missing files - it literally does JUST WORK.

/flameshield up
ive seen cases where they will but it costs anywhere between 100-200 dollars and it still hasnt fixed the issue.

witch sux cuz i work in end user service. people come to me telling me they payed dell so much to "fix the virus" and failed. then i tell them how much it would be, and i can guarantee the work. and future work for 1 yr. and they blow my head off. sry ma'am i dont work for dell etc and have nothing to do with what they did for you. should have came here in the first place

Can't find the Droid you're looking for? Join the Dark Side with the
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 143 Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM
3.5ghz

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiasian View Post
Apple, I just don't understand them.
Not much to understand.

I've stepped in puddles deeper then them.

There's no reason to take life seriously, its not like anyone gets out alive anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwind go_quote.gif
I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #105 of 143 Old 05-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Liked: 26
I know it's been said but... Macs dont get viruses and malware, EVER so this is clearly fake.

post #106 of 143 Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glancey View Post
I know it's been said but... Macs dont get viruses and malware, EVER so this is clearly fake.
yea, we know.

it's from that snow leopard link earlier. it states that a) you can use it to do a full clean install. b) all questions about running anti-virus yay or nay, everyone says yes.

My Photography Guide | Clean your copper heatsink/block
God is in the photo but the Devil is in the details.
Necessity is the mother of invention, entertainment is the father.
post #107 of 143 Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 AM

Liked: 26
Getting PM's apparently so let me clear up this statement.

I did not say Apple claims their products never gets viruses. It was a sarcastic punt at those who blindly worship Apple because they believe this fallacy to be true. No doubt macs may have a lower infection rate, a fact I'm not disputing either, but it's more likely only due to their lower popularity in comparison to PCs, not better security. Malware writers are shooting at the biggest target.

post #108 of 143 Old 05-20-2011, 10:49 AM
1.3ghz

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post
To be fair, this is a little new and sudden for Apple, so you can't expect them to be geared up for it right away.

The Windows virus support line may exist, but it's just that; support. Not removal.

Anyhow, I know regardless of what I say that this thread will fill up with mindless Apple hate, so I'll just leave my there and go.
For a moderator, have you at least bothered to read the article? It clearly states that they DO REMOVE malware.
post #109 of 143 Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM
1.3ghz

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpenguins412 View Post
For all you haters - when a PC catches a virus, companies like HP/Dell/Sony/Lenovo won't help you remove it. That's considered end-user support, and that's why companies like Best Buy have created the geek squad.

I work in end-user support and this virus, while annoying, is far less common than the Vundo trojan or the Olmarik trojan on the computers I see almost every day. Plus, worst comes to worst, we have a license from Apple that allows to image over a fresh copy of the OS X without having to worry about driver conflicts or missing files - it literally does JUST WORK.

/flameshield up
Instead of making a foll of yourself, why don't you actually read the article which clearly states that DELL/HP DO REMOVE viruses and malware?
post #110 of 143 Old 05-20-2011, 10:56 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post
To be fair, this is a little new and sudden for Apple, so you can't expect them to be geared up for it right away.

The Windows virus support line may exist, but it's just that; support. Not removal.

Anyhow, I know regardless of what I say that this thread will fill up with mindless Apple hate, so I'll just leave my there and go.
Its not new for Apple, it must be new to you... My friend has been dealing with Macs and malware on them for almost two years.

From some other site in reference to OCing from CMH

Quote:
"...Or you can just sit back and be sure that even if its not any faster, it definitely isn't any slower."

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page