[Gizmodo] There's Another Mac Trojan Spreading Via Microsoft Office - Page 11 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #101 of 136 Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Apple Enthusiast
 
Nocturin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere OverThe Rainbow
Posts: 5,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnAimed View Post

This story is a bunch of crap. This is an example of how a story gets all over the place without the people who repost it understanding what is going on. In order for you to be vulnerable you have to be running Office 2004 or Office 2008 and not have applied any patches since 2009. I wonder what the universe is for that? So, won't be looking for a patch any time soon, because it happened three years ago and so this oracle had plenty of time to patch which is my point , this happened before even oracle pushed a fix out to apple.

Your missing it, My point is that Apple did NOT release the fix in a timely manor after they received it from Oracle, I care not when or how the infection happened. Turn-around times are generally within a few days after discovery on windows systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidhatmatt View Post


.../snip

Sure, there are instances where Malware will get it but it's no where near as risky as using $20K in audio/video software on a Windows PC.

Bravo, I see what you've done here. You disagree with what I've said while also noticing my screen name and then...

I wish I was that clever tongue.gif. I didn't even make the connection thumb.gif

Although, I don't understand the correlation between using very expensive software and malware. How would a virus/malware invalidate a $20K software key?

Currently on Hiatus
1nf3ction is a BOSS!
BF3 id: Nocturin3
Disclaimer: IMHO; If you take it otherwise, your doing it wrong.
#OccupyAMD

Warnig: lulz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher go_quote.gif

That's a good questions, my 3 female room mates use the bathroom upstairs, I just use the shower downstairs, we might have to use the trunk of my car instead, I know that's sterile and has rubber mats and walls in it haha.
Also, more updates biggrin.gif We need to keep this thread somewhat on topic haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude go_quote.gif

Yo dawg I heard you like computers in computers so we put a computer in your computer so you can use your computer while...thumb.gif
go_quote.gif

Nocturin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 136 Old 04-18-2012, 02:43 PM
PC Gamer
 
Darkpriest667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 5,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob View Post

While things like that would be great, it goes against the entire locked down, closed environment, so I highly doubt that will never happen.

This is exactly why I don't buy apple products in the first place. Guess I will hope that Asus or a Windows tablet can fufill my tablet needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 go_quote.gif

You want true privacy? Go live in the woods with no electronics like in the early 19th century. Otherwise stop complaining.

In God we trust, all others we monitor - NSA motto

Darkpriest667 is offline  
post #103 of 136 Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Overclocker
 
i7Stealth1366's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitingnick View Post

I gotta be honest, with all the Apple fanboys I've dealt with in IT, who've talked trash about PC's, it's nice to see them get a little payback.
When I've tried to explain the biggest reasoning for no malware on Macs is because of their small market share, they usually have just blown it off. Well now that Apple's getting more market share, they're starting to have malware issues. Now I can say, 'SEE I TOLD YOU SO!' wink.giftongue.gif

Second this, these Mac people are unbearable sometimes!

i7Stealth1366 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #104 of 136 Old 04-18-2012, 03:21 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*
 
UnAimed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spain (I'm originally from the Netherlands)
Posts: 3,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Send a message via MSN to UnAimed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

Your missing it, My point is that Apple did NOT release the fix in a timely manor after they received it from Oracle, I care not when or how the infection happened. Turn-around times are generally within a few days after discovery on windows systems.
I wish I was that clever tongue.gif. I didn't even make the connection thumb.gif
Although, I don't understand the correlation between using very expensive software and malware. How would a virus/malware invalidate a $20K software key?

Well that was what my original post was about, I never argued with your point, I know apple should have acted much faster, they just needed that cold water in their face so it wont happen next time and hopefully not take these situations lightly anymore.

I think people need to forget about logos and evaluate products based on how it meets their personal needs. If you do that - you can't go wrong.

UnAimed is offline  
post #105 of 136 Old 04-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Apple Enthusiast
 
Nocturin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere OverThe Rainbow
Posts: 5,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnAimed View Post

Well that was what my original post was about, I never argued with your point, I know apple should have acted much faster, they just needed that cold water in their face so it wont happen next time and hopefully not take these situations lightly anymore.

Ah! I have a short attention attention span of a tricycle wink.gif

Cool Beans thumb.gif

Currently on Hiatus
1nf3ction is a BOSS!
BF3 id: Nocturin3
Disclaimer: IMHO; If you take it otherwise, your doing it wrong.
#OccupyAMD

Warnig: lulz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher go_quote.gif

That's a good questions, my 3 female room mates use the bathroom upstairs, I just use the shower downstairs, we might have to use the trunk of my car instead, I know that's sterile and has rubber mats and walls in it haha.
Also, more updates biggrin.gif We need to keep this thread somewhat on topic haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude go_quote.gif

Yo dawg I heard you like computers in computers so we put a computer in your computer so you can use your computer while...thumb.gif
go_quote.gif

Nocturin is offline  
post #106 of 136 Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Programmer
 
RagingCain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 7,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidhatmatt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

Then you obviously don't know how to use your 980x system if you are using it for gaming or that you think any particular system that comes from a store can match or rival anything you can build / program yourself (ala install Linux).  It amazes me that people see Mac's as something other than Personal Computers, they are personal computers like anything else you would by from Dell or HP.  The only difference is the flavor of software, and when it comes to "flavor" its user's experience / personal tastes.  Sour candy is the best for me, but someone else it is chocolate.  Both are still candy, and equally make my bottom round.  Just like a Windows or Mac PC.  You can just enjoy Win PC in its complete customizability, Linux for its raw performance, integrity or security, and Mac OSX for its pretty security and closedness.

Right, I OBVIOUSLY don't know how to use my system. You are so knowledgeable. Why do you think it is that the entire entertainment industry uses Apple's? I guess it's just because of the pretty logo on the back, right? You obviously don't know the first thing about audio/video recording and editing. The fact is that Apple computers are stable and just work (pardon the cheese) and Windows computers tend to have many more issues with hardware/software compatibility. The reason Apple keeps everything so tightly under their watch is because they want to make sure that their computers are stable and secure. Sure, there are instances where Malware will get it but it's no where near as risky as using $20K in audio/video software on a Windows PC.

 

I made the claim you are "not holding it right" based on that you have a 980x, which is not a gaming CPU, yet you claim that's all a Windows computer is good for, ergo you are gaming on your 980x based system, ergo you have wasted money on performance not correctly utilized, ergo I say you don't know how to use your system in a manner to mean you could be using it better.

 

Entertainment industry is also obsessed with models who are so thin they are IVed and hospitalized, actors and singers who are compulsively obsessed with their looks and obtain cosmetic augmentations to look how they think they should, drive really expensive cars that they do not need nor can anyone else afford, throw parties that cost more than the average American's annual salary, and use Macintosh computers.  I am not sure you helped your case at all appealing to the entertainment industry.

 

I am not sure what you mean by the fact that Apple computers are stable and just work.  I get the feeling that using Win PCs or Linux boxes for that matter are all unstable.  And by unstable, you mean have hardware failure or software failure or both.  Well considering the internals of PCs, Macs, and Linux boxes are made in the same place, and I believe Macs have the same processing CPU and video components found in most native Windows stations, except more geared to the low end of the hardware spectrum, which also costs more I might add.  So if the argument is hardware erratum, then by your own case, Macs should have the same hardware tolerance and or fault rate.  Unless you imply that the hardware simply performs better because its in a Mac, then you have no factual evidence to prove that.  There are even some cases of where the design has been proven ineffective either by dealing with heat and or reliability of the cooling components inside.  So it seems like it suffers from the same issues as the rest of the world every once in a while.

 

As far as "being more secure / reliable" software wise, I would like specific examples of what you can not do elsewhere and why you feel that it is in fact more secure.  As far as I can tell, a system is only as secure as the user protecting it.  Of which, I see most Macintosh systems as vulnerable as any other system.

RagingCain is offline  
post #107 of 136 Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Overclocker in Training
 
TheRealDeal51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
mac's are just bought for style, they don't do anything bettr than a pc but i wouldn't mind owning a macbook pro for general use XD

TheRealDeal51 is offline  
post #108 of 136 Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
1.3ghz
 
Stupidhatmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post


I made the claim you are "not holding it right" based on that you have a 980x, which is not a gaming CPU, yet you claim that's all a Windows computer is good for, ergo you are gaming on your 980x based system, ergo you have wasted money on performance not correctly utilized, ergo I say you don't know how to use your system in a manner to mean you could be using it better.

Entertainment industry is also obsessed with models who are so thin they are IVed and hospitalized, actors and singers who are compulsively obsessed with their looks and obtain cosmetic augmentations to look how they think they should, drive really expensive cars that they do not need nor can anyone else afford, throw parties that cost more than the average American's annual salary, and use Macintosh computers.  I am not sure you helped your case at all appealing to the entertainment industry.

I am not sure what you mean by the fact that Apple computers are stable and just work.  I get the feeling that using Win PCs or Linux boxes for that matter are all unstable.  And by unstable, you mean have hardware failure or software failure or both.  Well considering the internals of PCs, Macs, and Linux boxes are made in the same place, and I believe Macs have the same processing CPU and video components found in most native Windows stations, except more geared to the low end of the hardware spectrum, which also costs more I might add.  So if the argument is hardware erratum, then by your own case, Macs should have the same hardware tolerance and or fault rate.  Unless you imply that the hardware simply performs better because its in a Mac, then you have no factual evidence to prove that.  There are even some cases of where the design has been proven ineffective either by dealing with heat and or reliability of the cooling components inside.  So it seems like it suffers from the same issues as the rest of the world every once in a while.

As far as "being more secure / reliable" software wise, I would like specific examples of what you can not do elsewhere and why you feel that it is in fact more secure.  As far as I can tell, a system is only as secure as the user protecting it.  Of which, I see most Macintosh systems as vulnerable as any other system.

Really? You are going to compare the modeling industry with people who produce music? I am not talking about which computer Katy Perry has, I am talking about which computers the people who record, edit and write on. The fact is that the vast majority of people in the business of editing photos, movies and music use Apple. And no, it's not just because they like the shiny exterior and slim figure. I have both systems and they both have their uses. I purchased the 980x for music production along with gaming. So, yes, I know what I am doing. Somewhere along the line I became dissatisfied with the constant bugs, crashing and tweaking to get everything running smoothly. By the way, it's completely obvious that iMac's use the same hardware that PC's do but the difference is the software, operating system and drivers written for them. Comparing the 980x to the 2600 in the iMac I can definitively say I can produce more tracks and a lower CPU usage. This has nothing to do with the hardware and in fact the 980x should yield better results considering its' 12 threads. The only thing I can deduce is that the software and drivers are written better and thus produce greater results in a very tangible way. But hey, it could just be that sexy fruit logo on the front of the screen distracting me...

Stupidhatmatt is offline  
post #109 of 136 Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Programmer
 
RagingCain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 7,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidhatmatt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post


I made the claim you are "not holding it right" based on that you have a 980x, which is not a gaming CPU, yet you claim that's all a Windows computer is good for, ergo you are gaming on your 980x based system, ergo you have wasted money on performance not correctly utilized, ergo I say you don't know how to use your system in a manner to mean you could be using it better.

Entertainment industry is also obsessed with models who are so thin they are IVed and hospitalized, actors and singers who are compulsively obsessed with their looks and obtain cosmetic augmentations to look how they think they should, drive really expensive cars that they do not need nor can anyone else afford, throw parties that cost more than the average American's annual salary, and use Macintosh computers.  I am not sure you helped your case at all appealing to the entertainment industry.

I am not sure what you mean by the fact that Apple computers are stable and just work.  I get the feeling that using Win PCs or Linux boxes for that matter are all unstable.  And by unstable, you mean have hardware failure or software failure or both.  Well considering the internals of PCs, Macs, and Linux boxes are made in the same place, and I believe Macs have the same processing CPU and video components found in most native Windows stations, except more geared to the low end of the hardware spectrum, which also costs more I might add.  So if the argument is hardware erratum, then by your own case, Macs should have the same hardware tolerance and or fault rate.  Unless you imply that the hardware simply performs better because its in a Mac, then you have no factual evidence to prove that.  There are even some cases of where the design has been proven ineffective either by dealing with heat and or reliability of the cooling components inside.  So it seems like it suffers from the same issues as the rest of the world every once in a while.

As far as "being more secure / reliable" software wise, I would like specific examples of what you can not do elsewhere and why you feel that it is in fact more secure.  As far as I can tell, a system is only as secure as the user protecting it.  Of which, I see most Macintosh systems as vulnerable as any other system.

Really? You are going to compare the modeling industry with people who produce music? I am not talking about which computer Katy Perry has, I am talking about which computers the people who record, edit and write on. The fact is that the vast majority of people in the business of editing photos, movies and music use Apple. And no, it's not just because they like the shiny exterior and slim figure. I have both systems and they both have their uses. I purchased the 980x for music production along with gaming. So, yes, I know what I am doing. Somewhere along the line I became dissatisfied with the constant bugs, crashing and tweaking to get everything running smoothly. By the way, it's completely obvious that iMac's use the same hardware that PC's do but the difference is the software, operating system and drivers written for them. Comparing the 980x to the 2600 in the iMac I can definitively say I can produce more tracks and a lower CPU usage. This has nothing to do with the hardware and in fact the 980x should yield better results considering its' 12 threads. The only thing I can deduce is that the software and drivers are written better and thus produce greater results in a very tangible way. But hey, it could just be that sexy fruit logo on the front of the screen distracting me...

 

You specified the entertainment industry, which is all encompassing, not the recording industry which is specific segment of that.  If software you are using runs better on a quad core, than a hexacore, it is not efficiently multi-threaded, which is something all platforms are afflicted by.  Again, you are talking about preferences, and will continue to do so, unless you prove it with some sort of numerical analysis.  Which no Mac users has thoroughly described his experience.  The best I can seem to come up with other than "it just works" or "its just more reliable" is akin to what this YouTube user Justin's Big Idea had regarding Steam (source)  Until you provide actual benchmarks in filtering audio, ripping audio, editing audio is actually better everything you say is just technically opinion.

 

If its software you are after, then I have already agreed that software is like flavor, your personal tastes will be different.  My argument was not with that it may be easier for you, or that you may even prefer Macs, my initial quoting was that you claim it excels at everything else.  Which is so broad an argument you are guaranteeing yourself to be wrong.  There is no perfect system after all.  You then key in on specific aspect, claiming that Macintosh is superior to Music Recording, but I have no experience in this industry.  I highly doubt its because Mac's are physically superior, you agree with me in that they comprise (now a day's at least) that they are the same hardware or very similar.  That leaves how it operates with software.  I also noticed you have neglected to bring up any responses to Linux based software, which leads me to feel like this is a Windows PC vs Mac PC argument, which I don't want to be confused as being pro for either.

 

If you are operating a custom built 980x and operating the same software as a 2600 iMac akin system, and its finishing better / faster on the Mac, there are really only two reasons for this, there is a bug somewhere, or its not efficiently utilizing the 12 threads of the 980x.  If its different recording software on different platforms then I anticipate there are many more variables at play, but as far as rendering or doing numerically intensive tasks, a well designed 980X system should be much more capable than quad-core Sandy Bridge.  There is probably something configured wrong, or something seriously eating overhead on the 980X based system.  I would expect that the system was correctly configured by the User after all spending so much on hardware.  If you like out-of-the-box setups where you don't have to tweak or "work" with the OS like you do with custom built computers then they were the wrong choice from the get go, and you should have known that.

 

When you say "Sexy fruit logo" you kind of make your entire argument biased sounding as if I am attacking you.  I gave logical and thought provoking reactions to what you wrote, please don't cheapen the experience with your ill placed sarcasm, we are allowed to discuss our differences of opinion.  My entire beef was with your blanket statement of Apple's excel "at everything else", I can find many examples of where it does not excel at such as scientific computing for example, distributed computing, and large corporate workplace environments.  My point / goal was to get you to see your statement was ill conceived, and that Macintosh's do things well, and should be recommend in their due place, but lets not make information up, only provide facts that are sourceable.

OCScrub likes this.
RagingCain is offline  
post #110 of 136 Old 04-18-2012, 08:37 PM
EASY TO INSTALL
 
Kand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidhatmatt View Post

Really? You are going to compare the modeling industry with people who produce music? I am not talking about which computer Katy Perry has, I am talking about which computers the people who record, edit and write on. The fact is that the vast majority of people in the business of editing photos, movies and music use Apple. And no, it's not just because they like the shiny exterior and slim figure. I have both systems and they both have their uses. I purchased the 980x for music production along with gaming. So, yes, I know what I am doing. Somewhere along the line I became dissatisfied with the constant bugs, crashing and tweaking to get everything running smoothly. By the way, it's completely obvious that iMac's use the same hardware that PC's do but the difference is the software, operating system and drivers written for them. Comparing the 980x to the 2600 in the iMac I can definitively say I can produce more tracks and a lower CPU usage. This has nothing to do with the hardware and in fact the 980x should yield better results considering its' 12 threads. The only thing I can deduce is that the software and drivers are written better and thus produce greater results in a very tangible way. But hey, it could just be that sexy fruit logo on the front of the screen distracting me...

In all honesty, the entertainment industry is kind of stupid. What you see in tv is marketing and product placement. Congratulations, you're a consumer zombie.

Kand is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off