[PCW]Aged Windows XP Costs 5x More to Manage Than Windows 7 - Page 4 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 119 Old 06-04-2012, 08:17 AM
 
drbaltazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
there is no cost to xp user!that was got rid of 2 year after purchase,why you think they dont want to move from xp!it work without fanfare,no issue!why you think so many site feel or seem old ,because a lot of them use xp!lol!i dont say they will never move on!but i aint sure they ll move to ms product when they boot their xp solution!
drbaltazar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 119 Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
733mhz
 
preachp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi All,
I normally stay out of discussions like this mainly because there are so many variables as to why or why not a company would upgrade an OS. In the end any company that is properly managed needs to look at the overall gain of any upgrade.

Now on the personal front, if you are going to continue to upgrade hardware and software you will eventually need to upgrade. As for maintenance I never had issues with XP. I did upgrade to 7 and have had no issues with it. 7 loads faster than XP without a doubt. I cam't really say it runs any faster, but it defienetely does not run slower. As for Win 8, well I just don;t see the need.

I remember IBM DOS, MS DOS 2, 3,4, and 5, which by the way was the precurser to Windows with it's shell system, DOS6, Win 3, 3.1, NT, NT SP4, 95, 98, ME (yuk!) 2K, Server, XP, and 7. I left Vista out because I had no need for it. But I know a few people that are running it today and they have had minor issues, but nothing that is earth shattering. What 8 does is take a step or two backwards and that is not consistant with the model that has made MS the only horse in a one harse race. Was that smart or stupid remains to be seen. What annoys me more than anything is what I read in the thread about MS trying to block apps that bring back the start button to 8. If they don't want it in the relaese fine, but don;t stop people who want it there from doing so. I don;t like companies dictating to me what I want or need. That is my choice not theirs.

Have a great day!

preachp is offline  
post #33 of 119 Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 AM
 
*ka24e*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I know when I was using XP, I was shelling out hundreds of dollars per month to manage it. I actually went it debt keeping it updated.

typer.gif

*ka24e* is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 119 Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Intel Overclocker
 
Tohru Rokuno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My XP netbook hasn't cost me anything since I got it.

My Win7 desktop though: two video card upgrades, two RAM upgrades, extra HDD, H70, more fans...rolleyes.gif

Obligatory Funny Quotes (Click to show)
frickfrock999 - Why is this man blending cats in his PC?
deltaepsylon - Bad batch o cats, RMA perhaps?
h3xw1z4rd - Ritual sacrifice of your cat to any demonic figure will do the trick, and your hard drive will be working again in no time.
Paradox me - I think it's obvious humans weren't the lead platform. We got saddled with cat ports.
Simca - I felt like she was having sex with my ears.
Alatar - However, AMD sucks.
frickfrock999 - I pay top dollar for all my women.
skupples - I believe we will end up seeing a "Cat lives" System, more than perma-death system.
FEAR. - Thread needs more cats.
Requiescat in pace Syrillian.
Tohru Rokuno is offline  
post #35 of 119 Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM
 
konspiracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Venus, Texas
Posts: 1,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Lol I work at Lowe's and all our computer OS's are built off of linux. They work perfectly with 4gb of RAM and a single core CPU.
We browse the internet, watch flash video's and never worry about viruses. They have integrated iphones to work with our linux programs.

I can scan a product with the Iphone and send it to my linux terminal, using the terminal I then can print out pricing and other details in a snap.

Quote:
“If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.”

Chimp Challenge Participant  1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

konspiracy is offline  
post #36 of 119 Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 AM
News Fiend
 
Code-Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post

XP release was nowhere near as bad as Vista..

Actually, it was. It was the same thing people were whining about with 98 > XP. XP was slow on legacy systems, it was buggy, driver support was crap (I specifically remember my $500 Wacom tablet becoming a brick when I installed XP). Windows 98SE continued to fight XP for years after it's release, so I'm going to assume you aren't as old as you say you are. The only updated OS's that really got general acceptance were Windows 95, 98, and 7.

Its the same old cycle. People with old slow computers whine about upgrades, people who have decent computers who don't like change, and those that go with the flow.
Quote:
The only Windows release worse than Vista was ME.. Which to this day I am still convinced caused numerous hardware failures on a brand new pc.

I will however, completely and utterly agree with that. Both Windows 2k and ME where steaming piles of garbage that were abandoned VERY quickly. I remember trying to play Half Life on an early RC of ME and it would constantly Alt+TAB to the desktop, without me pushing anything.


Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

Code-Red is offline  
post #37 of 119 Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Blameless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 29,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3130
Moral of the story = early adopters get shafted, as usual.

My OS transitions have been mostly trouble free because I almost always wait at least 9 months, and frequently a few years, after the release of a new Windows OS to switch to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code-Red View Post

Both Windows 2k and ME where steaming piles of garbage that were abandoned VERY quickly. I remember trying to play Half Life on an early RC of ME and it would constantly Alt+TAB to the desktop, without me pushing anything.

Can't agree with this assesment of 2k.

2k lasted a very long time in professional environments, and after the first few service packs, was almost completely indistinguishable from XP in performance or utility, even with desktop users.

If you have a single or dual core system with less than 3GiB of memory, 2k is still one of the best Windows OSes you can put on it. it will run well on everything from a K6 with 256MiB of ram to a Core 2 Duo with 3GiB, and can run pretty much everything XP can. The initial release was far from ideal, but 2k SP4 is well polished, light weight, stable, and compatible.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Blameless is offline  
post #38 of 119 Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
News Fiend
 
Code-Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Moral of the story = early adopters get shafted, as usual.
My OS transitions have been mostly trouble free because I almost always wait at least 9 months, and frequently a few years, after the release of a new Windows OS to switch to it.

This.

I think the only "OS" I didn't have trouble adopting was DOS. I came from an Atari 800 XL, and DOS was a dream compared to that clunky interface. Using VisiCalc vs Lotus 123 was amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Can't agree with this assesment of 2k.
2k lasted a very long time in professional environments, and after the first few service packs, was almost completely indistinguishable from XP in performance or utility, even with desktop users.
If you have a single or dual core system with less than 3GiB of memory, 2k is still one of the best Windows OSes you can put on it. it will run well on everything from a K6 with 256MiB of ram to a Core 2 Duo with 3GiB, and can run pretty much everything XP can.

I think my memory might be fuzzy. Could have sworn I had a home version of 2K...


Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

Code-Red is offline  
post #39 of 119 Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Doomed to see the Future and helpless to change it
 
Hueristic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bottom_Of_A_Bottle
Posts: 10,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 432
HaHaHa, A "company-sponsored report ". Anyone that believes this is retarded.

READ this thread before starting your first build!!!
ALWAYS power up a Mobo Before installing it! Consider Less than helpful posts as Free Bumps.
devil-smiley-019.gif¡¡¡ʍʇɟ qn1ɔ uoıʇɐıɔǝɹddɐ 939 ʇǝʞɔos ǝɥʇthumbsupsmiley.pngsozo.gifRetro Rulezsozo.gif

1.
If you can't afford to lose it don't mod or OC it.
2.
At least read the ENTIRE OP before commenting.

Semper Fi

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Hueristic is offline  
post #40 of 119 Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Blameless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 29,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code-Red View Post

I think the only "OS" I didn't have trouble adopting was DOS. I came from an Atari 800 XL, and DOS was a dream compared to that clunky interface. Using VisiCalc vs Lotus 123 was amazing.

DOS is also a simple OS with no registry or other fancy features, so upgrading it was usually as simple as copying one version over another and rebooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code-Red View Post

I think my memory might be fuzzy. Could have sworn I had a home version of 2K...

There was no "home" vairant of 2k. There was 2k pro and a variety of server variants.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Blameless is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off