[eTeknix] New Leaked Version of Windows 8.1, Launch Date September - Page 18 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #171 of 226 Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

So just unpin the stuff you don't need from the start menu after installation?

And/or create a "group" called "office" on the start screen?

And/or pin what you will use regularly on the task bar? (best option imo as right clicking icons will allow you to open recent documents)

I've installed MS Office on multiple Windows 8 machines and templates created none of the problems you are alluding to.

I still don't see how office requires a start menu based on this o_o

Well, if you open you eyes a millimeter more you see I was referring to much more than just office. Office is about as trouble free as it gets with roughly ten icons...though if you have templates loaded on install you might have far more than that. It rolls down hill very fast

Yes, that is what you need to do unpin or sort them. However, if you have the start menu around it will folder all these icons nice and neat in the manner the developer planned. No mess, no guess work, no wasted time.

Unpinning could mean disaster. Like for example in QTP there is a start menu icon for Register New Browser Control. I don't need it much and if I unpinned it I would never remember what its name was. just digging through the application folders would take forever as it is just in bin folder in a bin folder. If I unpinned that I'd probably have to spend a good deal of time sifting through documentation to find out what to search for.

If all you are running is Office and a few games...you will be fine. The first time I installed Windows 8 I thought "hmm this is kind of nice" and then I installed Office and a few other applications that did not require a restart....then I installed Visual Studio and MySQL and restarted...bam...I got smacked with a Start Screen of over 200 icons. I had to format and re-install to sort it out. You install one...sort, sort, sort, unpin, sort, sort, unpin...and then install the next and sort, sort, sort, unpin, sort, sort, unpin...over and over for each one. I made very sure to take a system image once I had it set up.

MINNESOTA OVERCLOCKERS | The Climate Phenomenon
If it ain't broke...MAKE IT GO FASTER!!!devil.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 226 Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Programmer

Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

Not sure what you exact problem with Win 8 on 2560X1600 is, Win 8 without any third party apps works great for me at 2560X1440(with 125% DPI scaling), I don't have to use Metro much other than seraching, booting into Metro is not an issue either(hit enter gets you to desktop instantly), the charm bar don't get into the way either.

All depends on what software you have installed. If I did nothing but Internet browse and game; Windows 8 would be fine...however, once you start installing production software, SQL server...heck, even Office really...you have to have a start menu. Well, you can install one thing and then go make folders for it on the Start Screen and then install the next and do the same, but it is a pain. Plus some of the rarely used tools might get sorted wrong and then you will have trouble finding it unless you know its name, but if I don't use it much then I probably won't remember it off the top of head. I will just go looking for that tool that does what I need and recognize it when I see it.

I think that is the great divide here. Even the Surface in a corporate setting just doesn't work. It would be fine for handing to my child to watch a movie in the car, but when installing software that installs 50 "Start Menu" icons it get ridiculous. Especially if you install multiple apps like that. It has the power to run these apps...the interface just doesn't work well.
Taskbar... Desktop...

Upgrades which are in consideration: U2713HM | Samsung 830 256GB | Keycaps | Sleeving | AX1200i
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay go_quote.gif

The blue LEDs make it run cooler.
You should also get some Apple stickers so it won't get viruses, an Alienware logo so it can play games amazingly and some Razer gear so everyone knows you are totally 1337.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #173 of 226 Old 04-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Low expectations = Exceptional results

Liked: 232
Every time I see threads like this I feel like im the only person who still uses 7 because there isnt any benefit fir me in switching to 8 rather than some misplaced hate for change and easily fixed OS settings.

drunken.gif Please follow the TOS and the Professionalism Intiative to help make OCN a better place!drunken.gif

Bring on the Heatstroke!

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 226 Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

Taskbar... Desktop...

I don't get what you mean...unless you are talking about pinning all sorts of seldom used icons to your task bar and desktop. These are icons you DON'T want to be seeing all the time. You want them hidden until that rare day that you need them.

Because if you know a solution I'd really like to know. Honestly if MS had just taken the start menu and exploded it across the screen it would have been great. Once I set all the folders up after each install I am left with a better layout than the old start menu. It is just I don't think my boss would be too happy to know how much time I've spent messing with organizing and changing the layout. If we wanted that sort of business we would have just gone Linux...but we wanted out of the box functionality so we went windows...heh, even though we are taking the pains to make sure our certs are up to date to get a MS partner status (I've told my boss that the extra time spent on these certs are probably more than training every one to use Linux:rolleyes:)

One of these days it is going to be rather important because Windows 8 will become more common. I am hoping that developers will design their software to create groups and folders on the start menu, but that isn't going to help all the existing software out there.

At my PC at home I just use Start 8 like every one else and it is fine...though that is all it is. Fine. If you don't want the new start screen there isn't much reason to upgrade. I would never have installed it had I not gotten a copy for free from the MSDN. Now that it is installed though I don't think it is so bad to warrant reinstalling Windows 7 again. Save for gadgets...I miss my gadgets. Rainmaker is just no substitute.

MINNESOTA OVERCLOCKERS | The Climate Phenomenon
If it ain't broke...MAKE IT GO FASTER!!!devil.gif
post #175 of 226 Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 247
Quote:

Well, if you open you eyes a millimeter more you see I was referring to much more than just office. Office is about as trouble free as it gets with roughly ten icons...though if you have templates loaded on install you might have far more than that. It rolls down hill very fast

Yes, that is what you need to do unpin or sort them. However, if you have the start menu around it will folder all these icons nice and neat in the manner the developer planned. No mess, no guess work, no wasted time.

Unpinning could mean disaster. Like for example in QTP there is a start menu icon for Register New Browser Control. I don't need it much and if I unpinned it I would never remember what its name was. just digging through the application folders would take forever as it is just in bin folder in a bin folder. If I unpinned that I'd probably have to spend a good deal of time sifting through documentation to find out what to search for.

If all you are running is Office and a few games...you will be fine. The first time I installed Windows 8 I thought "hmm this is kind of nice" and then I installed Office and a few other applications that did not require a restart....then I installed Visual Studio and MySQL and restarted...bam...I got smacked with a Start Screen of over 200 icons. I had to format and re-install to sort it out. You install one...sort, sort, sort, unpin, sort, sort, unpin...and then install the next and sort, sort, sort, unpin, sort, sort, unpin...over and over for each one. I made very sure to take a system image once I had it set up.

Start Screen definitely needs an auto sort function and an easy way to select multiple tiles (you have to select each tile with a right click) and the all apps menu definitely needs folders.

post #176 of 226 Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Programmer

Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post

Quote:

Start Screen definitely needs an auto sort function and an easy way to select multiple tiles (you have to select each tile with a right click) and the all apps menu definitely needs folders.
Right, CTRL+Click is fine for Windows Explorer but not for Metro. wink.gif

Upgrades which are in consideration: U2713HM | Samsung 830 256GB | Keycaps | Sleeving | AX1200i
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay go_quote.gif

The blue LEDs make it run cooler.
You should also get some Apple stickers so it won't get viruses, an Alienware logo so it can play games amazingly and some Razer gear so everyone knows you are totally 1337.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #177 of 226 Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

Right, CTRL+Click is fine for Windows Explorer but not for Metro. wink.gif

That's not the point. The point is in Explorer, I can easily select a bunch of icons by just clicking and dragging, then right click to do what I want with the group.

In Metro, I have to click each individual icon, and for things that dumps 10+ icons on the Start Screen, that gets tedious extremely fast.

post #178 of 226 Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 265
You make it sounds like you have to arrange a new start screen every time you turn on the computer.

At the end of the day, your point that a start menu is required when installing productivity suites is not really true tbh.

Like I've said, I've installed many productivity suites of my own (including office/CS6/other proprietaries I use for work) and I have not encountered the problems you allude to, including templates or that a start menu was a requirement for pretty much anything.

I'd like to see the "all apps" section of the start screen be foldered, but I don't agree that installing productivity software creates a start menu requirement.

post #179 of 226 Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 33
Literally will leave windows all together before I will ever look at metro style start menu past initial setup.

post #180 of 226 Old 04-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Commodore 64

By that logic we don't need auto sort options inside Windows Explorer...

It's all about making things more convenient and nicer for the user, whether big or small. The first things you do with an OS is to install programs, and initial impressions are extremely important. If your initial experience is spending 15+ minutes sorting the Start Screen, and all you wanted was things to be listed in alphabetical order, you going to have a sour taste for the rest of your use with the OS. Especially if you're helping someone else with said OS.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page